BBO Discussion Forums: last train or control or something else? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

last train or control or something else?

#21 User is offline   bilalz 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-January-16, 05:56

Thank you all.
I must admit that I made a mistake because the actual bidding was 2c 2d 2h 2s 3h 4d which sort of sidetracked the discussion as to what 2nt meant (I think that discussion was useful as well, as would be a discussion on what 2s bid would mean). Despite the ambiguity of what "standard" is, I think it is useful to know what the majority would do so partnerships can always discuss when they want to use slightly different sequences. Here this hand was given to me as an example of LTTC during an exchange over whether we should use LTTC or not and in my view this is not LTTC and neither is it the best use of space to bid 4M-1 as LTTC. Serious 3nt is better for me.

I would think 2S also is not a positive bid according to standard bidding methods and merely a relay and 2d is just waiting normally (these are incidentally the methods we play so I find the characterisation of 4d as LTTC wrong).

The hand in question is from a book by Barry Rigal:
Dutch ladies. World Cup 17 QF.
KJT, AQJTXXX, A, AK and Qxx, Kxx, jxxx, xxx.
2c, 2d, 2j, 2s, 3h, 4d, 6h.

The author obviously knows that somehow this bid is LTTC according to the conventions and the response structure of the pair in question but it is hardly a standard use of LTTC. And the 3H rebid for me does not show the very strong hand that OH has (again, according to 'standard' methods). Funnily enough the hand is such that it helps to reach a slam if there was a bidding misunderstanding where 4d was taken as king of diamonds. Also, what do you all think of the slam try by the responder, what if opener jas KJT in clubs and singleton Ace in spades? Especially since they do not seem to have specific suit asks in their locker to explore the spade suit

http://www.pitbulls....Suit%20Asks.htm

Once again I am grateful that so many of you take the time out to give your insights.

#22 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-January-16, 11:27

The OP did say "standard."

In "standard," 2NT isn't second negative. You either play 3C as second negative or else you play an immediate 2H as double negative. 2NT shows an OK, balanced hand that (A) lacks 3 card H support (didn't raise hearts); (B) doesn't have a suit of its own worth mentioning; and © wasn't strong enough to bid 2NT over 2C (or maybe was, but didn't want to).

3H shows a very good heart suit. At this point, there are only two possible strains -- hearts and NT (responder would have mentioned a suit over 2H if he had one; opener would have bid a second suit instead of 3H if he had one).

So 4D agrees H (went past 3NT) and is looking for slam. Last Train is great, but it isn't standard. "Standard" would be:
* 2 card heart support
* No first or second round control of S or C
* First or second round control of D (likely first, b/c with no 1/2 control of a black, why are you cue-bidding with only the Kd, but I suppose you could have Ax of H and Kd)

Cheers,
Mike

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users