BBO Discussion Forums: Getting very suspciious of goings on with GIB - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Getting very suspciious of goings on with GIB

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-January-11, 01:22

Hi all

I often play on a table with 3 robots (IMPs). Sometimes I have noticed a fairly consistent pattern where in identical (uncontested or with defensive bids) auctions certain users seem to be consistent beneficiaries of underbids by GIB and other users seem to constistently get the maxiumum bid (eg games vs slams). Without naming names and suggesting anything untoward specifically is there any variable in the siumulations that could cause this to happen. Would they have different bots or does it take account of any aspects of certain users (their playing history) etc. I understand there is the chance of it all being error from simulations but when it happens consistently you start to wonder and log off very quickly :(

Could be all confirmation bias and coincidence but I do keep seeing the same names :)

regards Possum

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-January-11, 05:25

View Postthepossum, on 2019-January-11, 01:22, said:

Hi all

I often play on a table with 3 robots (IMPs). Sometimes I have noticed a fairly consistent pattern where in identical (uncontested or with defensive bids) auctions certain users seem to be consistent beneficiaries of underbids by GIB and other users seem to constistently get the maxiumum bid (eg games vs slams). Without naming names and suggesting anything untoward specifically is there any variable in the siumulations that could cause this to happen. Would they have different bots or does it take account of any aspects of certain users (their playing history) etc. I understand there is the chance of it all being error from simulations but when it happens consistently you start to wonder and log off very quickly :(

Could be all confirmation bias and coincidence but I do keep seeing the same names :)

regards Possum

Humans are very good at pattern recognition, to the point where they see patterns where none are present...
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-11, 07:22

I am sure this will make an episode "CSI: the underbid that shouldn't have been".
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-11, 18:03

You need to sign up for the double secret VIP status. It's secret so I can't give any details, so all I can say is 1 peek is worth 2 finesses.

#5 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-11, 19:59

If everything up to the point in question is completely identical, GIB will act 100% identically, unless one person has rented an advanced bot and the other one hasn't.

(Or potentially if the other table has two humans playing against two robots, in which case GIB may interpret the human bid differently, even if it is the same bid).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users