BBO Discussion Forums: Very embarrassing but not the worst score - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Very embarrassing but not the worst score

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-January-09, 23:48

Dear beginners

If you ever lose concentration and pass a game force 2C do not instantly panic and feel terrible. I just did it and obtained a fairly average hand. It would have been around 50% at MPs but was a bit worse -4 at IMPs, still not the worst score though :)

It is rather embarrassing to think other people would see the bid tho :(

Possum

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-10, 08:40

opposite point of view --- EVERYTHING you learn is important and working hard to commit it to memory is very important. REVIEW REVIEW over and over until it is like remembering your name. You would not easily forgive a surgeon who "forgot" to remove a surgical instrument or amputated the wrong limb. Bridge is indeed a game but go about playing and learning in order to excel and do indeed feel bad when you forget:) being lucky is nice but being good is better.

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-10, 09:29

Tip I learned by bitter experience. When playing in NT and putting down dummy, don't put any suit that might have been trumps in the trump position, this saves partner trying to make the overtrick in 6N by ruffing his Ax opposite a singleton.

#4 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-10, 10:14

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-January-10, 09:29, said:

Tip I learned by bitter experience. When playing in NT and putting down dummy, don't put any suit that might have been trumps in the trump position, this saves partner trying to make the overtrick in 6N by ruffing his Ax opposite a singleton.

There are plenty of good tips in this area: Discard a black card when showing out on a red suit (or vice versa) to make sure partner notice. On the other hand, if you don't want declarer to notice, you do the opposite!

#5 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-10, 14:34

View Postthepossum, on 2019-January-09, 23:48, said:

Dear beginners

If you ever lose concentration and pass a game force 2C do not instantly panic and feel terrible. I just did it and obtained a fairly average hand. It would have been around 50% at MPs but was a bit worse -4 at IMPs, still not the worst score though :)

Just make sure you do it with either a robot or a partner you are happy to lose :)

#6 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-10, 22:01

Do people on here always miss the point in an attempt to put people down. I have been playing for 40+ years and know full well how to bid a a 2C. All I was saying is that if you inadvertently hit pass while losing concetration then dont worry about it. I was making light on an accident when I was unable to hit an undo button. :) Its not a disaster if you make a mistake in bidding, even a highly embarrassing one. Some people take bridge far too seriously and also love to put people down to boost their fragile egos :)

I do try to analyse every single hand where I make a bidding error to see where I could have done better, even those where I did well in case it was down to bad defense :)

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-12, 00:49

One of the best posts ever was Mike777's list of good reasons to pass a 2c opening. Can someone find the link?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-13, 16:06

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-January-10, 09:29, said:

good advice (ouchies)

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users