Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Car crash TV

#1 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-January-07, 08:45

I present two car crashes from the event we played yesterday, one mainly for amusement, the other is more interesting.

First board of the event went with a bang.

I led K ducked and delighted to find partner's stiff was the 8, drew 5 rounds of trumps. Partner unsurprisingly wasn't up to keeping all his spades after dummy pitched one so we only made 11 tricks for 1700. If he does, dummy gets amusingly strip squeezed in this ending:

where W has no good discard on the 4th spade, a heart and we cash 2, a club and we put him in with a club to concede 2 hearts. It mattered little, team mates played a different NT range so opps couldn't hammer them.

The second one is a nice piece of card reading and technique.

W leads 6 to E's A who returns the 3, you win the K and W plays the 2.

You now rumble 6 rounds of diamonds they're 2-2 W discards 8, J and 2 small clubs, E discards 5 74 and a small club.

What now ?

#2 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-07, 10:07

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-January-07, 08:45, said:

The second one is a nice piece of card reading and technique.

W leads 6 to E's A who returns the 3, you win the K and W plays the 2.

You now rumble 6 rounds of diamonds they're 2-2 W discards 8, J and 2 small clubs, E discards 5 74 and a small club.

What now ?

Looks like West started with five spades, headed by the Q and Easy four spades headed by the A (and is now down to a singleton spade).

But if West started with 5 spades, why did he discard one of the winners? It suggests values in clubs and hearts. I think that West has reduced to QX A - KX. Exiting in spades or hearts allows west to take his three major suit winners and give you two clubs at the finish?

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-07, 10:20

View PostTramticket, on 2019-January-07, 10:07, said:

Looks like West started with five spades, headed by the Q and Easy four spades headed by the A (and is now down to a singleton spade).

But if West started with 5 spades, why did he discard one of the winners? It suggests values in clubs and hearts. I think that West has reduced to QX A - KX. Exiting in spades or hearts allows west to take his three major suit winners and give you two clubs at the finish?

Exiting in spades is tricky unless you revoked at the beginning, but yes the heart exit brings home the bacon, partner took the club finesse.

What punished us on the board was that most people were in 4, and with the club finesse wrong, on the normal spade lead and club switch, this needs you to find somebody with Ax and avoiding a possible diamond ruff means that you will try to find the right opp with Ax so 4 was making.

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-08, 16:14

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-January-07, 10:20, said:

Exiting in spades is tricky unless you revoked at the beginning

sorry to eliminate part of your quote but did I see a small smile start to form when you wrote the above? good post

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users