Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A freak one

#1 User is offline   heart76 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-January-04, 05:22

Yesterday I held, all vulnerable, x - KQxx - AQ109xx - AQ.

My partner deals and opens:
2* - P - 2** - P
3*** - P - 4 - 4
P - P - 5, passed out.
*Multi
**Interest in game or better in
***Min, i.e. 5-7 HCP

At another table:
2* - P - 2NT** - 4
P - P - 5 - 5
6 - X, passed out.
*Weak 2's
**Inquiry

Given the hand I held and the 4 interference, do you agree on the bidding at the 2 tables?
For info, the weak 2 opener has a dead 5 HCP minimum with a void in .

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-January-04, 07:13

hand 1 2S appears to be too weak. Catering only to partner having spades and close to a dead minimum. There are plenty of hands where p has spades and semi scattered (near top) values where 3n is a great contract (even AT98xx xx xx Jxx needs the club finesse).

hand 2 2h opener has no idea why responder is bidding as they are and should not be bidding 6h when responder might be waiting to x the 5s bid with a vengeance.

#3 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2019-January-04, 09:46

View Postheart76, on 2019-January-04, 05:22, said:

Given the hand I held and the 4 interference, do you agree on the bidding at the 2 tables?
For info, the weak 2 opener has a dead 5 HCP minimum with a void in .

Without the whole hand, or the results, it's perhaps difficult to judge whether the bidding is incorrect generally - the opponent's bidding comes into the equation, too.

Having played the Multi myself many moons ago, I personally don't agree with the inquiry bids on both auctions, but then again you may play the responses and the range differently.

On the first auction the reasonable assumption is partner's suit is s: I'd rather bid 3 as a one round force initially.

On auction two, there is a reasonable prospect of slam, and I'd rather make it obvious from the start with a 3 splinter, asking partner if he has any features beyond the suit.

That's my take on it: others may see if differently. And as gszes said, opener is bonkers bidding 6 without knowing what partner has.

#4 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-January-04, 14:50

I won't comment on the first auction.

But I disagree with those who say opener shouldn't bid 6 in the second auction. The void is an undisclosed value that responder can't know about. Especially with something like - AJxxxx xxx xxxx, it wouldn't be unreasonable to bid on to 6 . It's highly unlikely that responder is also void in . So opener knows that their hand covers 2 losers for a hand that was willing to freely bid 5 . Against a likely lead, if responder is also void, a sluff and ruff will occur.

#5 User is online   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-04, 14:52

Sequence 1 is ok-ish. Besides not trying for game even if partner has a max hand with S (mentionned by other posters), as we are going to bid 5H nevertheless, why not show the D suit just in case partner has HA and DK? A natural forcing 3D could work on the 1st round too.
Sequence 2, opener is asking for trouble in the post mortem.

#6 User is offline   heart76 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-January-06, 01:29

Thanks all for the answers.
The reason for not posting the full hand is that I was out for exactly the type of comments you posted by looking at it as you were at the table. Plus evaluations of possible action by opener based on the spade void.
We in fact have some undiscussed bids like 3 diamonds after 2 diamonds Multi and some learning to do on the ramifications here.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users