• You cannot reply to this topic

Thoughts on this X...

#1 User is offline   elwood913 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, Blackjack, Music

Posted 2019-January-03, 10:13

Hi all,

Had a sequence we hadn't had come up yet, and was wondering what is the best way to think about it...

White on red at MP's, opponent deals and opens:

(1) - 1 - (2) - 3 (Inv+ spade raise)/
(3) - X

How should this X be interpreted?

If it matters, 2 was non-forcing an 3 was undiscussed.
Also would it matter if the raise was more or less offensive? Perhaps 2NT showing a 4-card raise?
Thanks!

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2019-January-03, 15:32

The only sensible interpretation I can come up here (and this is straight off the cuff after a contemplation of the bidding sequence) is that the double means I have first round control of s, nothing more than that. Or perhaps, thinking about it further, this was the bid I would have made but the opponents have beaten me to it.

The opener has a strong hand bidding 3, so white on red, maybe the overcaller is looking towards a sacrifice in s against their final contract.

If anyone can come up with a better explanation, I am all ears, as I too had to have a doubletake on this sequence too,

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-January-03, 19:02

Elwood913 asks "MPs.
How should this X be interpreted?"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
IMO, North's double shows defensive values with penalty-interest.

#4 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-03, 19:17

I typically play it as "please don't lead a spade", but that's hardly an interpretation I would expect without explicit agreement. Other possibilities include a game try with defensive values, or simply suggesting penalty.

#5 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2019-January-03, 21:53

View Postnige1, on 2019-January-03, 19:02, said:

Elwood913 asks "MPs.
How should this X be interpreted?"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
IMO, North's double shows defensive values with penalty-interest.

There's that interpretation, too, I agree Nigel, to try to get that magic +200 on your scorecard in MPs given the opponents vulnerability, but the opponents' 3 bid isn't looking for a 3NT contract surely? Or maybe it is and East has a minimum for his 2 bid and West thinks that North/South are hustling them out of a forlorn contract? I would take the 3 here as a splinter knowing that West has quite a few other bids at his disposal.

Which also begs the point, how would other players interpret West's 3 bid here too? Interesting post.

#6 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-04, 04:12

Assuming that x is not the fatuous penalty double made by a large number of partners on BBO...
Then i think it is a clear warning to partner that the original 1 overcall was defensively oriented and please do not bid 4 unless your hand is very offensively oriented

Partner's choices are
pass - a minimum overcall with a good spade suit
4 - enough to accept an invitation i.e. opening values or better
x - a moderate hand but a poor spade suit

You could choose to reverse the meanings of pass and 4 but imo this lets the 2 bidder off the hook as it seems someone at the table has their rose specs on

#7 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-04, 04:34

sfi's suggestions are good - "don't lead a spade" is a common expert agreement, and often useful here when the overcall was based on some poor spades so another suit might prove a more fruitful lead against 3NT or 4H. I'd interpret the 3S asking for a stop here, unless West plans to bid on to show some huge hand with hearts.

Otherwise, apart from a constructive game try (cf. things like 1S-(2H)-2S-(3H); X) and a penalty suggestion ("extra values"), you could also play it as a sacrifice suggestion ("extra length/ODR"). The game try and penalty are more useful when partner has raised constructively as here, while the sac suggestion is better suited to when the raise was more pre-emptive. But that's a fair bit of memory strain and you'll probably do fine agreeing one meaning for both raise types.

ahydra

#8 User is offline   heart76 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-04, 05:10

IMHO W is 2245 or 2146 with 16-17 HCP. N has 5. S havs 10. E has 8.
W is looking for a stop for a borderline 3NT, with 6-7 sure quick tricks in the minors and possibly a stiff Q or K. His backup plan is likely 4 since he knows E has most likely 6.
Alternatively he has a huge distributional hand with 3 and is looking for slam.

As for N's X, it could well be one of those already suggested by the previous answers. I don't think it can suggest a sacrifice though, as the easiest path there is to wait and bid it. Might be lead-related, but if so it's not looking basic to me. If W has the slam invitation, the X is likely to be extra length. About strength I am very unsure.

#9 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-04, 05:40

I think this double means primarily: P thou shallt not bid 4 . I know what to do. You can double opponents 4 bid if your card allows iot.

Maarten Baltussen

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users