• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Finding a partner My experience at a local club

#21 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-January-16, 09:25

How does the host system ensure that the hosts are actually decent partners? The problem in the OP was that they were paired up with a poor player. And as I said, that's likely to happen since the good players usually have their own partners.

I think I've heard of clubs where the host duty rotates among all members. This doesn't ensure that all hosts are good players, but at least there's a reasonable chance that you'll get one.

#22 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-January-17, 12:07

View Postbarmar, on 2019-January-16, 09:25, said:

How does the host system ensure that the hosts are actually decent partners? The problem in the OP was that they were paired up with a poor player. And as I said, that's likely to happen since the good players usually have their own partners.

I think I've heard of clubs where the host duty rotates among all members. This doesn't ensure that all hosts are good players, but at least there's a reasonable chance that you'll get one.

In the North London club, not every member offers to host, but among those who do there is a fairly representative (of the whole club) group. Good players often host or come along without partners; so do weaker players. Anyway if you come along without a partner, you get what’s available.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#23 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-January-17, 18:52

In New Zealand and UK, many clubs have "host" evenings where someone volunteers to play with anyone who might come without a partner. Those "hosts" will be recruited from a diverse group of club players: people who sometimes use the system themselves and need to pay back by being host themselves sometimes, directors who don't care so much if they are playing or non-playing, and idealists who just want to do a good deed for the club. So when you come alone, you have a decent chance to find a decent partner.

If you are matched with someone who pathologically overstates their skill level, or who is abusive, then give the TD feedback. They may not be aware of the issue. Of course, it may be difficult for them to do anything about it anyway. But with some luck they will either avoid matching that person or they may have a chat with the person and actually manage to correct their behavior.

But of course, you shouldn't expect too much when asking to be matched with a random. Personally, I am always happy to play with someone who isn't abusive. Most of them are very weak, and some have questionable ethics, but you have to be able to take such issues as interesting challenges, or just ignore them and focus on the generally nice atmosphere in the club. Or take it as an ordeal everyone has to go through until they find a suitable, regular partner. Alternatively, just don't play with randoms.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users