• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Eight Tricks: Find the Ninth

#1 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-December-31, 16:00

More for intermediate/intermediate plus players, I feel, than advanced/expert. (If advanced/expert solve this please use a 'spoiler'. Thanks) Again from a 1960s magazine. I have amended the bidding to reflect modern trends. Hint for solvers: the breaks are not favourable, but not extreme either. West leads K, East follows with the 2, and West will continue on trick 2 with Q if you duck the lead as declarer.

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-31, 19:23

Spoiler

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-31, 19:42

This is somewhat similar to this hand recently posted.

Similar hand

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-31, 20:03

View Postgszes, on 2018-December-31, 19:23, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-31, 21:33

View Postjohnu, on 2018-December-31, 19:42, said:

This is somewhat similar to this hand recently posted.

Similar hand

There are similarities, John, but that's where the similarity ends :)

Cyberyeti's on the right track. I purposely left out whether it is MPs or IMPs. It's easy peasy for 10 tricks if break 3-3, but that aren't going to happen Hint for solvers: the breaks are not favourable, but not extreme either.

#6 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2019-January-01, 02:39

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-December-31, 20:03, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-01, 05:55

View Postdokoko, on 2019-January-01, 02:39, said:

Spoiler

You do not need anything as sophisticated as a cannibal/suicide squeeze or a defensive error to make this contract. If you try to construct the East/West hands with the hints given above, it's a lot easier to find your way to the ninth trick.

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-January-01, 07:27

View PostThe_Badger, on 2019-January-01, 05:55, said:

You do not need anything as sophisticated as a cannibal/suicide squeeze or a defensive error to make this contract. If you try to construct the East/West hands with the hints given above, it's a lot easier to find your way to the ninth trick.

My first thoughts if W plays 10 or J were to try to find E with QJx in one of the minors and try to duck a trick to him using the spade entries, I don't see a way of rectifying the count for a squeeze if I keep the spade entry, I may be able to duck a trick to QJ109, but I can't duck the second trick I need to, and it looks like there can be no triple squeeze as it seems E is 43(42) in that case so W controls the other minor.

Yes I can make double dummy if E has QJ109x2 in the minors and W has the spades, but I'm not going to.

#9 User is offline   Ranmit 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-January-01, 10:09

From the hint, it seems to be that spades and both the minors are breaking 4-2, with E having 4 in spades and 1 minor. *IF* I know this, then I duck first 2 rounds of hearts, attempt a spade to the 9 and if W plays high, play the AK of the minors and exit in whichever minor E appears to have. E will take 2 tricks in the minor but will then have to lead a Spade into the dummy, and we make 9.

However, there is no a priori reason to believe that both the minors are splitting 4-2, and from the aggressive bidding it rather looks like at least one suit maybe 5-1. If I were playing this game, I probably see myself just playing AKQ of spades (if W interjects with a high spade card), hoping for the best :P

Whats the solution?

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-January-01, 10:25

The_Badger asks "More for intermediate/intermediate plus players, I feel, than advanced/expert. (If advanced/expert solve this please use a 'spoiler'. Thanks) Again from a 1960s magazine. I have amended the bidding to reflect modern trends. Hint for solvers: the breaks are not favourable, but not extreme either. West leads K, East follows with the 2, and West will continue on trick 2 with Q if you duck the lead as declarer."
My guess:
Spoiler

Spoiler

#11 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2019-January-01, 15:38

You can also make if LHO is 2=5=3=3 - after three rounds of hearts and West inserting J/T from Hx in spades, just play three spades from the top and play three rounds of whichever minor LHO is discarding. Anyway, I don't think this is an intermediate+ problem - there are quite a few combinations to consider, and I think anyone who can make a well-informed decision on what to play for is at least advanced. It's a very ordinary play problem but one that would separate declarers in most fields.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#12 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2019-January-01, 16:44

I liked Cherdano's line, but, unfortunately, it seems to fail when LHO discards the same minor as declarer.
Anyway, it's a beautiful problem :) Thank you the_Badger.

#13 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-01, 20:59

View PostRanmit, on 2019-January-01, 10:09, said:

From the hint, it seems to be that spades and both the minors are breaking 4-2, with E having 4 in spades and 1 minor. *IF* I know this, then I duck first 2 rounds of hearts, attempt a spade to the 9 and if W plays high, play the AK of the minors and exit in whichever minor E appears to have. E will take 2 tricks in the minor but will then have to lead a Spade into the dummy, and we make 9.

However, there is no a priori reason to believe that both the minors are splitting 4-2, and from the aggressive bidding it rather looks like at least one suit maybe 5-1. If I were playing this game, I probably see myself just playing AKQ of spades (if W interjects with a high spade card), hoping for the best :P

Whats the solution?

Well done Ranmit. Here's the whole hand. And as you say...

...*IF* I know this

When the hand was played, West played the 10 when declarer led towards dummy. Declarer cashed the AK and was about to play a third round of s when East made an ill-timed compliment at the table to West "You're my favourite partner" in a voice that carried as much gloat as it did tribute.

Declarer stopped in his tracks, didn't play the third round of s, and then proceeded to endplay East as you said in your post.

Poetic justice I think it's called :)

#14 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-02, 02:17

I figured the endplay couldn't be the solution as you need to somehow divine East's exact shape, i.e. when you cash DAK CAK you can somehow guess which one they've run out of. You then get called up in front of the TD for inspecting the hand records prior to play, temporarily suspended from the club, and it becomes a nightmare... ;)

That said, given East doesn't have a whole lot of HCPs for his raise to 2H, the odds favour something like the hand shown where the doubleton will be a Qx or Jx to give it away - and the comment certainly helps!

I figured that given this came from a book the solution would be the suicide squeeze, which (style points aside) I reckon would work the vast majority of the time in a club or even lower-level tournaments.

ahydra

#15 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2019-January-02, 04:09

View Postahydra, on 2019-January-02, 02:17, said:

I figured the endplay couldn't be the solution as you need to somehow divine East's exact shape, i.e. when you cash DAK CAK you can somehow guess which one they've run out of. You then get called up in front of the TD for inspecting the hand records prior to play, temporarily suspended from the club, and it becomes a nightmare... That said, given East doesn't have a whole lot of HCPs for his raise to 2H, the odds favour something like the hand shown where the doubleton will be a Qx or Jx to give it away - and the comment certainly helps!I figured that given this came from a book the solution would be the suicide squeeze, which (style points aside) I reckon would work the vast majority of the time in a club or even lower-level tournaments.ahydra

Ahydra is right that you won't find Ranmit's unlikely -endplay, at the table, without a peek, or hand-record, or a road-map from a kind defender. :)
However, you also need a kind defender to co-operate in a fratricidal-squeeze :)
The more orthodox line has good legitimate chances. The minor-suit squeeze, 2 short of the count, is quite unusual and pretty :)

#16 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-02, 08:43

For me, the interest arises from the defence. Would I rise with the ten?! I hope I would, but ...

#17 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-January-02, 08:56

Next what happens when you play Ranmit's line after the coffee housing and discover that the 7 was in fact the J. The resulting director call would be interesting.

#18 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2019-January-02, 09:32

View PostTramticket, on 2019-January-02, 08:43, said:

For me, the interest arises from the defence. Would I rise with the ten?! I hope I would, but ...

Read Rodwell's book! "Danger hand high" is one of its most memorable chapters...
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#19 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-02, 09:46

View Postcherdano, on 2019-January-02, 09:32, said:

Read Rodwell's book! "Danger hand high" is one of its most memorable chapters...

Thanks, yes I have read it ... I'd better re-read! Which is a good idea anyway, so many great ideas. :)

#20 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-02, 10:13

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-December-31, 20:03, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users