BBO Discussion Forums: Is there a 100% line for 13 tricks on this hand? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is there a 100% line for 13 tricks on this hand?

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-December-23, 20:12

You get a spade lead. My squeeze play is neither good enough to see a way to deal with W guarding spades and E with long diamonds and Qxx or better hearts, nor to prove that there isn't one - though I think the issue is that both the pivot and menace against E would be under him?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-23, 20:36

Looks like you have the right idea. East discards after North who has both red suit threats. Whatever red suit North abandons, East can also toss. If declarer was looking at all the cards, "finessing" J through East (if East only has Qxx without the 10) will transfer the menace and you could squeeze West in spades and hearts (you could also just finesse heart 10)

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-December-24, 04:07

Jinksy' writes "You get a spade lead. My squeeze play is neither good enough to see a way to deal with W guarding spades and E with long diamonds and Qxx or better hearts, nor to prove that there isn't one - though I think the issue is that both the pivot and menace against E would be under him?"
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The NS hands are from board 7 of the Sunday daylong tournament yesterday
With Jinksy's layout on the left (the actual EW hands swapped),
you can confirm Jinksy's intuition and JohnU's analysis by pressing GIB

#4 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-December-24, 13:14

View PostJinksy, on 2018-December-23, 20:12, said:

You get a spade lead. My squeeze play is neither good enough to see a way to deal with W guarding spades and E with long diamonds and Qxx or better hearts, nor to prove that there isn't one - though I think the issue is that both the pivot and menace against E would be under him?

I think you need more information. If west guards the spades, you need to figure out who (if anyone) guards the diamonds. If west has diamonds and spades, it's a simple squeeze against west. You cash 3 spades and all the club/heart winners and west is done. If east has diamonds and west has spades, then you have a squeeze against whoever holds the Q. Cash all the spade/diamond/club winners, and the squeeze runs. The same dynamics work if east has the critical holdings as well.

The way I'd play it, is cash 3 spades to figure those out, and cash 4 clubs to get more information. Pay attention to what they show and what they discard to determine who has what. If someone discards diamond, I usually figure them to not have 4, so either their partner holds the length, or they have 5 (or 6).

#5 User is offline   Povratnik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-24, 14:40

Yes, it is 100%, but it seems I'm not savvy enough to copy the board here... :embarrassed:
I might succeed later...

P.S. I didn't make 7NT, just 6N+1

P.P.S. This is the link. Let someone savvier than me post it.
Alien in the XXI century, arrived by time machine

#6 User is offline   Povratnik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-24, 15:07

View PostHardVector, on 2018-December-24, 13:14, said:

The way I'd play it, is cash 3 spades to figure those out, and cash 4 clubs to get more information.

IMHO, if you cash even two spades, you ruin everything; you may cash the king, but why would you?
You need two small spades on the table. One to discard on the last club, one to return to hand after you cash the last diamond. So correct order is: clubs, diamonds, spades.
What did you mean to discard on the last club?

EDIT: I was too fast. Tou have to cash king spade, because East lead a spade :)

#7 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-24, 15:31

View PostPovratnik, on 2018-December-24, 14:40, said:

Yes, it is 100%, but it seems I'm not savvy enough to copy the board here... :embarrassed:
I might succeed later...

P.S. I didn't make 7NT, just 6N+1

P.P.S. This is the link. Let someone savvier than me post it.

Try to make 7 with the East and West hands switched where East has hearts and diamonds guarded. That is the question the OP was asking.

#8 User is offline   Povratnik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-24, 17:04

View Postjohnu, on 2018-December-24, 15:31, said:

Try to make 7 with the East and West hands switched where East has hearts and diamonds guarded. That is the question the OP was asking.

Oh, I didn't read carefully, because I recognized the board I have played...
If East is missing 10, then it's an easy double dummy problem, but without knowing the distribution of heart honors, it's virtually impossible. If East has QTx, it's literally impossible...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users