• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pausing Instant Tournaments

#1 User is online   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-December-18, 03:14

Hi there

I know there are Daylongs which take all day (and you can come back to) but the way Instant Tournaments work (I understand) there is no reason why they couldn't be paused and returned to. There have been several times I have had to exit a tournament for different reasons, or occasions where I have been timed out. It seems unfair to have this counted as a withdrawal when there are legitimate reasons for it. They aren't timed tournaments so why cant we pause and return. Similarly they aren't simultaneously played with other players (I understand), the hands are drawn from a database, so there is no reason that they have to be played continuously.

Hoping someone can comment. Otherwise I will have to continue with the occasional withdrawal and/or timeout without it being counted against me. The attitude to witdrawals seems a bit questionnable and punitive here (much like attitudes to slow play and other alleged misdemeanours, its like a prison or school). I know some people withdraw for the wrong reasons but most dont and have legitimate reasons.

regards P

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-December-18, 09:53

The only reason is that they're implemented using older code in the server, from before we designed the "asynchronous" method for daylong tournaments. It uses the same underlying design as human tournaments, but with robots in the other seats. It probably wouldn't be too hard for us to replace them with async tourneys, we'll put it on our list.

You can suspend them by logging out of BBO. If you come back within 90 minutes (not sure if this is timed from when you leave or when you started playing) you'll be put back into the tourney. But you can't suspend them to do something else on BBO.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users