• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A freak hand

#1 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-December-15, 03:36

This gave me a bit of a dilemma.

Clearly rather too strong for a simple 4 overcall - I was wondering: could I possibly find partner with an Ace? Seeing as opponents would be likely to lead , A would be enough for the slam.

We play Acol with weak jump overcalls, so 3 wasn't an option. Double? Even if partner shows I don't know if she has first- or second-round control. And there is a serious risk of a penalty pass - which I don't want!

After a lot of thought I settled for the soft option of 4 - prepared to raise to 5 if the opponents bid 4 (they didn't). Just as well since partner had no aces and nothing in . She was void in but the Q fell singleton, so I was happy enough with my 11 tricks.

No-one else ventured the slam, so in the end this freak board was a flat board...

#2 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-15, 12:20

I'd definitely want to be in at least 5 on this one. Looking at this got me wondering what a bid of 4 would mean? I would think it should promise a spade void at least, but would it also promise one good suit, or some 2 suiter? If the direct bid would show a 2 suiter, then I'd probably start with a double then bid 4 (if available), then 5. That way, partner would know I'm not sacrificing and bid the slam with a card that looks useful.

#3 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-15, 13:30

Just been looking at this thread. Obviously I'm not as strong as any of those! But I wonder how 3 over 1 works - showing strength and a cue bid (not Michaels). What does partner respond with no controls? 3NT - then I bid 4?

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-December-15, 15:00

661_Pete' writes "This gave me a bit of a dilemma. Clearly rather too strong for a simple 4 overcall - I was wondering: could I possibly find partner with an Ace? Seeing as opponents would be likely to lead , A would be enough for the slam. We play Acol with weak jump overcalls, so 3 wasn't an option. Double? Even if partner shows I don't know if she has first- or second-round control. And there is a serious risk of a penalty pass - which I don't want! After a lot of thought I settled for the soft option of 4 - prepared to raise to 5 if the opponents bid 4 (they didn't). Just as well since partner had no aces and nothing in . She was void in but the Q fell singleton, so I was happy enough with my 11 tricks.
No-one else ventured the slam, so in the end this freak board was a flat board...]
I wonder how 3 over 1 works - showing strength and a cue bid (not Michaels). What does partner respond with no controls? 3NT - then I bid 4?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IMO 661_Pete's 3 suggestion seems right. Many pairs agree that an immediate jump-cue overcall of a suit-opener shows a good suit, initially stopper-asking for 3N. e.g.
after (1) 3 )Pass) ?
- 3N = STOP in .
- 4 = P/C. No stop
- 4 = Good hand.
- 4M = NAT.
Now 4 shows slam interest..

#5 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2018-December-16, 06:48

View Post661_Pete, on 2018-December-15, 03:36, said:

We play Acol with weak jump overcalls, so 3 wasn't an option.

Well, maybe this is the time to psyche a weak jump overcall in hearts.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users