K98x KJ AT2 T642
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-December-10, 20:19

I double, unconcerned at matchpoints, concerned at imps.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-10, 21:01

I would double at matchpoints, but game is too far away for me to do anything but pass at imps.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-December-10, 22:32

KuhChung "IMPS"
++++++++++++++

I rank
1. Double = T/O. OK in protective position. Posted Image
2. Pass = NAT. Timid even at IMPS. Posted Image
3. 2N = BAL. A protective 2N would normally show 15-18 HCP. Posted Image

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-10, 22:35

pass period.

My heart holding sucks and if I double my only likely plus is if partner bids only 2, float and everything breaks right. On a good day rho is short in hearts and we can go plus right here.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-December-11, 04:15

Balanced 'seven' point hands shouldn't be balancing at the two level vulnerable against vulnerable opponents. When deciding on duplicate decisions, I try to put them into a rubber bridge perspective. Would I want to balance at game all at rubber? Certainly not!

There's a small case for balancing at matchpoints, but only a very small case, I feel. Balancing at IMPs looks kamikaze to me.

And trust me, I'm the first to want to compete to two of a major or three of a minor against a weak two opening bid, but this hand looks lightweight (despite its intermediates) and too balanced.

#7 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-11, 05:14

There are some interesting responses here, with many thinking that balancing at match-points is safer than balancing at IMPs. Competing for a part-score at match-points, when both are vulnerable, is always dangerous: you risk conceding -200 going one-off doubled or two-off undoubled. You risk missing out on +200 if 2 is going two-off and partner can't pass your takeout double.

Look at it another way: How many trumps are there? The opponents are likely to have a maximum of eight (East probably raises with a third heart) and you are hoping to find an eight-card fit, but can't guarantee one. This may leave you unprotected by the Law if partner has to respond at the three level. This is a pretty marginal t/o double at match-points.

Now consider IMPs. We are vulnerable and might still have game our way - particularly if partner has values and some length in hearts (say: AQXX QXXX X KQJX). The risk in passing is that you miss your vulnerable game. This needs to be balanced against the risk of going for a number - but remember that opps will be reluctant to double at IMPs unless they are absolutely certain you are going off, fearing doubling you into game).

I think that passing, when you are the hand with the heart shortage is a bit conservative for me. I am protecting with a takeout double.

#8 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2018-December-11, 08:05

doubling with KJ hearts all vul at imps seems like total madness
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#9 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2018-December-11, 09:52

View Postggwhiz, on 2018-December-10, 22:35, said:

pass period.

My heart holding sucks and if I double my only likely plus is if partner bids only 2, float and everything breaks right. On a good day rho is short in hearts and we can go plus right here.

Easy pass for me. I don't even think about balancing here.

#10 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-December-11, 12:16

yeah I passed. there's a stupid miracle heart position (partner has A9x and opening leader leads Tx) so you get 3 heart tricks and a misdefense at the OT to allow making. felt like a stupid way to lose 6 imps
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#11 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-December-11, 14:42

View Posteagles123, on 2018-December-11, 08:05, said:

doubling with KJ hearts all vul at imps seems like total madness

Yes, but the days of promising "two of the top 3" are long over. A10xxxx and Q109xxx are both quite possible.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#12 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-December-11, 15:24

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-December-11, 14:42, said:

Yes, but the days of promising "two of the top 3" are long over. A10xxxx and Q109xxx are both quite possible.

In an IMP league match last week, an opponent opened 2 vulnerable (all vulnerable) in 2nd seat and had partner make a reasonable raise to 4 with a 17 point hand albeit with just a stiff 10. I held AJ98 in front of declarer and thought we had some prospects of beating the contract as I passed. Eventually, declarer led the 10 which I covered with the J and was shocked to find partner win with the K when declarer covered. Partner held K4. +300 turned out to be a big swing when partners also went positive. Sort of shocking in the top bracket where all the teams have 10000+ Masterpoints.

#13 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-11, 15:31

As for the OP hand, I'm right on the edge between passing or doubling. Not absolutely sure I wouldn't pass at the table. Against better more aggressive players, I'd be more apt to double and hope I haven't stepped into it. Against weaker opposition, I'd probably pass.

#14 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-11, 15:41

View Postkuhchung, on 2018-December-11, 12:16, said:

yeah I passed. there's a stupid miracle heart position (partner has A9x and opening leader leads Tx) so you get 3 heart tricks and a misdefense at the OT to allow making. felt like a stupid way to lose 6 imps

Make your best judgement, live with the results, and don't worry about it too much. Had you bid, there's no way to know that the opponents would also defend the hand wrong to give you a push. So the result might well be similar no matter what you did.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users