BBO Discussion Forums: new BBO feature: button to recall all previous tricks - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new BBO feature: button to recall all previous tricks addressing memory problem of aging players

#1 User is offline   cccccttttt 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-November-13, 15:03

Letter to BBO online bridge:

Bridge is a mental sport that requires memory and logic.

However, aging players have a physical decline in their memory.

Many thus play slowly or leave the game.

Suggest BBO explore this option:

[supply button that will popup a history of cards played, sorted trick by trick]

For your business, demand should increase.

For players, quality of play will remain high.

For teachers, a useful tool.

ct

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-November-13, 15:41

That would be against the rules of the game.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-13, 15:56

View Postblackshoe, on 2018-November-13, 15:41, said:

That would be against the rules of the game.

On paper I'd agree, but it seems that rubicon was crossed long ago (e.g. playing on after claims, referring to your own CC).

#4 User is offline   DozyDom 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-November-13, 18:04

View PostTylerE, on 2018-November-13, 15:56, said:

On paper I'd agree, but it seems that rubicon was crossed long ago (e.g. playing on after claims, referring to your own CC).

I would argue those breakages of the rules are more like Cicero executing the Cataline conspirators without trial - unpleasant and unbecoming, but not actually integral to the system. Being able to look through every played trick is closer to allowing revokes than to playing on after a claim.

#5 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2018-November-13, 18:22

LOL

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-November-14, 10:06

View Postcccccttttt, on 2018-November-13, 15:03, said:

Letter to BBO online bridge:
However, aging players have a physical decline in their memory.

Don't these players face the same problem in f2f bridge? If there's a real need to accomodate them, the rule should be changed in the official Laws, not just on BBO.

Sorry, but this is a mind sport, and exercising memory is a part of the game. This change would also allow players to pay less attention to which spot cards are played, whether players followed suit, etc. Being able to review the entire play takes away a significant part of the challenge of the game.

#7 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-14, 14:30

Personally, I find that since I took up bridge again in my dotage (both online and live), my memory of tricks played has actually improved. Do others find likewise?

Law 66.C is of course quite explicit on reviewing tricks: "Thereafter, until play ceases, the cards of quitted tricks may not be inspected (except at the Director’s specific instruction; for example, if necessary to verify a claim of a revoke)"

However, on BBO and other online bridge-playing sites, cheating is rampant anyway (no need to list the various ways in which players can cheat!). I have noticed that some participants play very slowly. Who can tell whether they're not writing down details of each trick as it's played? As far as cheating goes, this seems to me a more venial offence than other kinds (e.g. being on the phone to one's partner...)

Nevertheless, it's still cheating...

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-14, 15:55

View PostTylerE, on 2018-November-13, 15:56, said:

Or Law 41(D)

Dummy’s Hand
After the opening lead is faced, dummy spreads
his hand in front of him on the table, face up,
sorted into suits, the cards in order of rank with
lowest ranking cards towards declarer, and in
separate columns pointing lengthwise towards
declarer. Trumps are placed to dummy’s right.
Declarer plays both his hand and that of dummy

The old Windows version complied with this law. The web version(s) don't.

As far as looking at turned tricks, there is certainly nothing stopping a player from writing down cards played, or taking screenshots of each trick, or recording a web movie that can be replayed. Maybe this could be allowed as a table option, or only in the casual bridge club, or one of the beginner/intermediate clubs.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-November-15, 09:53

View Postjohnu, on 2018-November-14, 15:55, said:

As far as looking at turned tricks, there is certainly nothing stopping a player from writing down cards played, or taking screenshots of each trick, or recording a web movie that can be replayed. Maybe this could be allowed as a table option, or only in the casual bridge club, or one of the beginner/intermediate clubs.

As mentioned, there are lots of ways for players to get around the rules on BBO, but we don't want to encourage it by making it part of the program.

For instance, there's nothing preventing you from chatting with your partner on the phone, text, or Skype. But we still block BBO chats between partners during the hand.

#10 User is offline   Povratnik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-16, 18:00

View Postbarmar, on 2018-November-15, 09:53, said:

As mentioned, there are lots of ways for players to get around the rules on BBO, but we don't want to encourage it by making it part of the program.

For instance, there's nothing preventing you from chatting with your partner on the phone, text, or Skype. But we still block BBO chats between partners during the hand.

I agree with you, barmar, when it concerns competitive games. But on teaching table, such a feature could be very useful (even revoking!). Let's say, an instructor and three students play. In each deal, when declarer reaches a stage when s/he can claim, the instructor could replay the whole cardplay and analyze&comment literally every card played. It's true that the instructor can make a LIN file and send it to everyone, but there is no such thing as a "live" discussion, where you can ask questions in real time. One such thoroughly analyzed deal is more worth than several dozens that are just played...

Of course, such feature would work only if all players had checked the appropriate check box.

(Not that I ever was on a teaching table, maybe similar possibilities already exist)
Alien in the XXI century, arrived by time machine

#11 User is offline   dirmou 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-December-07, 03:17

Hi

may i suggest to BBO to give permission to subs to see all previously played cards when joining in a middle of a game, at least for current board

regards
skander

#12 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-07, 13:21

View Postdirmou, on 2018-December-07, 03:17, said:

Hi

may i suggest to BBO to give permission to subs to see all previously played cards when joining in a middle of a game, at least for current board

regards
skander

may I suggest to you that creating an appropriate topic with a single post is already enough ? :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users