BBO Discussion Forums: COOT - immediately followed by correct player's call - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COOT - immediately followed by correct player's call

#1 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2018-November-28, 22:55

As Director at a local club game earlier today, I was called with the following auction showing on the table (explanation of it follows the diagram):

1-2-1

This was not an insufficient bid situation.

I was told responder bid 1 out of turn and then overcaller studying his hand and never noticing his LHO's action, bid 2 and a moment later the 1 out of turn irregularity was verbally stated by 4th seat and/or dealer.

So now we have a bid out of turn. But we also have the 2 bid by overcaller (whose turn it was to bid before responder's bid out of turn).

I know how I ruled. What would you have done?

#2 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-November-28, 23:11

I would have turned to Law 28B. The 1D bid is cancelled and that person is free to bid whatever they like. The 1D call is UI to dealer, but there are no lead restrictions.

#3 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2018-November-29, 06:57

View Postsfi, on 2018-November-28, 23:11, said:

I would have turned to Law 28B. The 1D bid is cancelled and that person is free to bid whatever they like. The 1D call is UI to dealer, but there are no lead restrictions.

Law 28B (Call by Correct Player Cancelling Call Out of Rotation): "A call is considered to be in rotation when made by a player whose turn it was to call before rectification has been assessed for a call out of rotation by an opponent. Making such a call forfeits the right to rectification for the call out of rotation. The auction proceeds as though the opponent had not called at that turn. Law 26 [Lead Restrictions] does not apply, but see Law 16C2 [UI by offending side]."

I admit to not having looked this up at the time but got the ruling (almost) correct. This table was clearly behind, otherwise I would have given myself a minute to look in the law book.

What happened in the end was that overcaller bid 2 and responder bid 3, so there was never going to be an issue here, with the 3 bid being comparable to the insufficient 1 bid if you had thought that applied. But I did think lead penalties would have applied if diamonds had not been bid again, which as the law specifies lead penalties do not apply - at least not directly. (Note, however, the UI law applies, so opener can't lead diamonds if a logical alternative is present.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users