BBO Discussion Forums: best gib bid ever!! - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

best gib bid ever!! slamming

#1 User is offline   thomas c 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 75
  • Joined: 2012-June-27
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:mississippi
  • Interests:golf, bridge, opera

Posted 2018-November-21, 16:44

of course the east bot led a club and i lost the first 7 tricks for down 6 vul. amazing bidding and such fun to randomly
select which aces and kings you can pitch. this from the nabc acbl tourney. btw. not a bottom by any
means.

1

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,151
  • Joined: 2014-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2018-November-21, 17:05

Based on experience, GIB bids 6NT on its second bid *every single time* it gives a positive response. Has come up multiple times, but seemingly deemed unimportant.
Feel free to send me a friend challenge of any format as often as you like. I'll always accept :)
1

#3 User is online   johnu 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,674
  • Joined: 2008-September-10

Posted 2018-November-21, 18:52

View Postthomas c, on 2018-November-21, 16:44, said:

of course the east bot led a club and i lost the first 7 tricks for down 6 vul. amazing bidding and such fun to randomly
select which aces and kings you can pitch. this from the nabc acbl tourney. btw. not a bottom by any
means.


You were very unlucky the GIB West didn't/couldn't underlead A on the opening lead and then you would have made 7.
0

#4 User is offline   thomas c 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 75
  • Joined: 2012-June-27
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:mississippi
  • Interests:golf, bridge, opera

Posted 2018-November-21, 20:51

im going to try and remember that. should i have opened 1s then? i actually like the light 2c on hands where i think i can prob make 4 opposite most dummies. but i hate the 6n bid. as i recall im good for 6s, 6h or 6d.


btw john. the bot led from 7 clubs to the queen and out. his bot partner had aj10x.

tom
0

#5 User is offline   The_Badger 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,123
  • Joined: 2013-January-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-November-21, 22:02

And there's me thinking, upon reading the header, GIB had pulled off a brilliancy. Duh! :)
0

#6 User is offline   smerriman 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,151
  • Joined: 2014-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2018-November-21, 22:16

View Postthomas c, on 2018-November-21, 20:51, said:

im going to try and remember that. should i have opened 1s then? i actually like the light 2c on hands where i think i can prob make 4 opposite most dummies. but i hate the 6n bid. as i recall im good for 6s, 6h or 6d.

Seems like it'd be very rare for 1 to be passed out when you're making game (I guess partner could have something like Kxx-xx-xxxx-xxxx), so yeah, I'd say 2 is going to lose a lot more than it gains opposite GIB here.
Feel free to send me a friend challenge of any format as often as you like. I'll always accept :)
0

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,765
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Hamilton, New Zealand

Posted 2018-November-21, 22:21

2 is fine but yes, GIBs bidding after a 2 opening is buggy so if at all possible, avoid it.
... most of the new ideas I get are pretty "boring", mostly focusing on constructive methods rather than destructive ones --- Kungsgeten
0

#8 User is offline   steve2005 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,779
  • Joined: 2010-April-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hamilton, Canada
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-November-21, 22:33

View Postsmerriman, on 2018-November-21, 17:05, said:

Based on experience, GIB bids 6NT on its second bid *every single time* it gives a positive response. Has come up multiple times, but seemingly deemed unimportant.
6N is an incredible hideous hog type.
There are likely better slams available and grand slam possible.
6NT is embarrassingly bad and I would say so even if it made.
Gib has bid 6N with me like this I didnt realize it was a systematic flaw.
Sarcasm is a state of mind
0

#9 User is offline   HardVector 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 280
  • Joined: 2018-May-28

Posted 2018-November-22, 12:51

View Postthomas c, on 2018-November-21, 20:51, said:

im going to try and remember that. should i have opened 1s then? i actually like the light 2c on hands where i think i can prob make 4 opposite most dummies. but i hate the 6n bid. as i recall im good for 6s, 6h or 6d.


btw john. the bot led from 7 clubs to the queen and out. his bot partner had aj10x.

tom

I would have opened 1s. There are 2 reasons for this, 1. you don't have quite enough strength for the 2c bid (make the spade suit better and you do), 2. you have a 2 suited hand. After 2c 2 suited hands can be very difficult to bid, even when you hold the majors. If it goes 2c-2d-2s-3m-3h, you put a lot of pressure on your partner on what to bid with no fit in either suit. I usually like to be 5/5 in the majors to make that bid making it easier for partner to bid 4h with 3 of them. With this hand, if the bidding had gone as I stated, then you'd be wondering if 4h was your best contract.

The flip side of this, is that 2 suited hands are difficult for responder as well after 2c. Even though the diamond suit qualifies as a positive suit response, I'd have bid just 2d with this so I wouldn't bury the heart suit.
0

#10 User is offline   thomas c 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 75
  • Joined: 2012-June-27
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:mississippi
  • Interests:golf, bridge, opera

Posted 2018-November-24, 13:04

View PostHardVector, on 2018-November-22, 12:51, said:

I would have opened 1s. There are 2 reasons for this, 1. you don't have quite enough strength for the 2c bid (make the spade suit better and you do), 2. you have a 2 suited hand. After 2c 2 suited hands can be very difficult to bid, even when you hold the majors. If it goes 2c-2d-2s-3m-3h, you put a lot of pressure on your partner on what to bid with no fit in either suit. I usually like to be 5/5 in the majors to make that bid making it easier for partner to bid 4h with 3 of them. With this hand, if the bidding had gone as I stated, then you'd be wondering if 4h was your best contract.

The flip side of this, is that 2 suited hands are difficult for responder as well after 2c. Even though the diamond suit qualifies as a positive suit response, I'd have bid just 2d with this so I wouldn't bury the heart suit.

amazing i post an amusing bot bid and i get a free lesson. at least dougie hasnt sent me a bill yet. course he completely missed the point but thats ok. i need all the help i can get.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users