BBO Discussion Forums: What to do with strong 2 hands in 2/1 - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +

What to do with strong 2 hands in 2/1

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-November-15, 15:57

Hi all

A situation which comes up from time to time. The strong two hand when playing weak twos. There is a risk of partner passing when you only need a few points or one more Trump or trick for a low point game. An example is when you can see 7 and half tricks, know that it doesn't take much for the other 2-3 tricks and partner may not have 6 points or 3 trumps for a fit.

You are not supposed to abuse 2C although I have stretched that a bit sometimes. If you use length points rather than short points you can sometimes justify it.

What does everyone do. Do you stretch 2C or open one and risk missing out

Cheers P

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-November-15, 16:52

thepossum, on 2018-November-15, 15:57, said:

Not sure what this has to do with 2/1. Same issue crops up with most any system that doesn't use strong twos and that covers a lot of ground.

In any case, in answer to your question I can definitively say "It depends".

• Some hands will get opened at the one leve
  • Some hands with get opened 2!C
  • Some hands may even get opened 2N

If you want a more definitive answer you might consider posting an actual hand that you are unsure about...
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-15, 17:32

7.5 tricks is nowhere near where you have to worry about game. Think about it, without a huge fit and ruff values, how can partner have 2 tricks and not have 6 points? You'd have to have something like qjt98x akx akx x and partner would have to have exactly the red queens. It is too low probability to worry about. Opening 2c you will end up forcing to far too many poor games vs hands where there are miracle games when partner will pass your one opening.

Even Acol style strong 2s are closer to 8.5 tricks not 7.5

#4 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-15, 18:38

No need to be so defensive about 2/1. Of course it applies to any weak 2 system but there are other forcing bids

Also I played strong 2s and ACOL for years and don't need a lecture

I'm talking about situations where you don't want partner to pass under any circumstances

It seems a few people are still in patronising mode. What a shame

#5 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-15, 18:42

As hrothgar said, it depends. What you should do is consider the hand that you have, and how the auction is likely to go based on what you open, no matter how strong your hand is.

For example, if you have AQ-Q-KQJxx-AKJxx:

If you open 2, the auction is almost sure to start as follows:

2 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 4.

What are you going to do over each of your partner's responses? (Eg, if they bid 5 you might be going down in game, or have a cold slam.. with no idea which).

Conversely, if you open 1, then jump to 3, you get to hear two descriptive bids from partner and you're at a much lower level. The risk? What if partner passes, and you can make slam? Can you really think of any set of hands where none of the three players at the table are able to bid 1 or 1? The chances of that happening are virtually 0. The risk of opening 2 - where you're going to be in the wrong contract almost every time - is far greater.

#6 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-15, 19:12

Let's make this easier.

Let's say I have 8 and half tricks but not enough for 2C

What I'm getting at is that there is a big gap between a strong 1S and 2C in many circumstances

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-November-15, 19:41

thepossum, on 2018-November-15, 15:57, said:

Hi all
A situation which comes up from time to time. The strong two hand when playing weak twos. There is a risk of partner passing when you only need a few points or one more Trump or trick for a low point game. An example is when you can see 7 and half tricks, know that it doesn't take much for the other 2-3 tricks and partner may not have 6 points or 3 trumps for a fit
You are not supposed to abuse 2C although I have stretched that a bit sometimes. If you use length points rather than short points you can sometimes justify it.

thePossum highlights a hard problem, which responder can mitigate, to some extent, by stretching to keep the bidding open, on poor hands. Also, you can try redefining some openers:
  • 1 = ART F1 (e.g. Precision, Polish, "Phony").
  • 2 = ART F1 like 2/1 but extended to include most ~4 loser hands.
  • 2 = ART F1 (e.g. Benjamin, Multi) to cater for those ~4 loser hands.
  • 2N = BAL or semi-BAL i.e Treat some strong shapely hands as balanced e.g. open 2N not only with 5332, 6322, 5422 but also with 4441, 5431, etc, where the singleton is a minor..
  • 3N = ART F1 Long strong major c 8-10 tricks.
  • 4N = ART F1 Long strong minor c 9-11 tricks.

#8 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-15, 19:52

Here is one recent example. I considered 2C or 2NT here but obviously didn't like 2NT and thought it was too weak under the system for 2C. I know it's borderline but you have good control

Ignore subsequent bidding and lay of cards. I'm talking about S hand only

#9 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-15, 19:52

thepossum, on 2018-November-15, 19:12, said:

What I'm getting at is that there is a big gap between a strong 1S and 2C in many circumstances

There really isn't.

#10 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-15, 19:55

Of course there is a big gap. You can bid 1S with 11 or 20 points and you need 22 for 2C

#11 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-15, 20:07

Oh my god, I might have to open 1 (or 2NT) with a 21 count, the horror!

#12 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-15, 20:12

thepossum, on 2018-November-15, 19:55, said:

Of course there is a big gap. You can bid 1S with 11 or 20 points and you need 22 for 2C

But your second bid after 1 tells partner whether you are at the low end, or at the high end. So there is no "gap" - if you have 19-21 points you can tell your partner that just as easily as when you open 2 to show more.

But as mentioned, you aren't required to have a certain number of points to open 2. Some hands with more than 22 shouldn't be opened 2, and some with less should, based on how you expect the auction to go. I would open your hand 2 because 1 could easily be passed out, and you have a comfortable way to show your hand and find out what you need after 2 - 2 - 2.

#13 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-November-15, 20:12

A K T x x x x A K Q A x x

thePossum provides a good example hand with a reasonable chance of game opposite a balanced Yarborough.

#14 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-15, 20:14

nige1, on 2018-November-15, 20:12, said:

A K T x x x x A K Q A x x

thePossum's provides a good example hand with a reasonable chance of game opposite a balanced Yarborough.

Don't overthink it and just open 4? (Or 4 if you're lucky enough, in this case, to be playing namyats)

#15 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-15, 20:14

22 is for balanced hand hcp. With unbalanced and solid long suit you can open 2c on considerably less; some 19s, occasional 18s, depending on length and solidity of the main suit, side controls. The top end of 1s is the boundary of the bottom end of 2c, there is no gap, you either judge it just good enough for 2c or not quite. The exact location of the boundary is going to be a judgement call and differ from player to player. On a lot of hands it won't matter, at the edges sometimes you will regret opening 2c if it gets too high, on others regret opening 1s if you get too low. Some of this is luck or not of partner's hand mesh. But generally you are trying to decide whether not opening 2C misses game/slam too much, or if opening 2c gets to too many hopeless games, or slams if partner plays you for more, over all the hands.

#16 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-15, 20:58

TylerE, on 2018-November-15, 20:14, said:

Don't overthink it and just open 4?

Really? I would pass a 4 preempt with most hands where we're making slam/grand slam.. and wouldn't be very happy with partner..

#17 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-15, 21:11

smerriman, on 2018-November-15, 20:58, said:

Really? I would pass a 4 preempt with most hands where we're making slam/grand slam.. and wouldn't be very happy with partner..

In a world where you're deathly afraid of partner passing 1 and are too much of a point counter to open 2...

#18 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-November-15, 21:23

In a human (as opposed to a robot-playing) world this is how I see things. For the hand you posted - a good example - I would open 2. The reason is I have 6 quick tricks, a good 6 card suit, and need as little as Qx in the suit for game. (Or similarly other small cards.)

If you make the 2 bid not universally game-forcing, allowing responder to bid negatively twice, opener is allowed to let the bidding rest in three of a major, or four of a minor if they want. Some players do use this caveat in the SAYC system.

I am more inclined to open 1 if the hand is Axx x AKQ AK10xxx. The reason why is that with 2/1 partner is encouraged to bid a major at the one level with a poorer hand than standard in the hope of finding a major suit fit as more-than-occasionally the bid is made on a three carder. The same applies to a 1 opener.

If you open 1/1 there is also more chance the opponents will overcall at the one level, allowing you to bid again whereas a 1/1 opener means the opponents have to bid at a higher level to compete and statistically you will have less opportunity to bid again.

A Axx x AKQ AK10xxx opener is looking for 3NT or 5 of a minor contract, and for that to occur you need partner to have more cards to make it happen, so you're less likely to miss anything if partner hasn't got a bid. And as I said with the hand you posted, four of a major is achievable with just Qx in the trump suit.

#19 User is offline   billyjef 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:solitude, bridge, philosophy, evolution, game theory, science, neuroscience, psychology, atheism, mindfulness and the distraction of TV

Posted 2018-November-15, 21:53

smerriman, on 2018-November-15, 20:58, said:

4S in the pass out seat?
Jef Pratt
Surrendering to existential truth is the beginning of enlightenment.

#20 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-16, 01:13

thepossum, on 2018-November-15, 18:38, said:

No need to be so defensive about 2/1. Of course it applies to any weak 2 system but there are other forcing bids

Also I played strong 2s and ACOL for years and don't need a lecture

I'm talking about situations where you don't want partner to pass under any circumstances

It seems a few people are still in patronising mode. What a shame

Here you go again. You ask questions and then abuse those who take the time to answer them in a perfectly reasonable manner. Carry on like this and they won't bother.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users