Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Robots are TOO FAST!

#1 User is offline   nob turner 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-November-10, 17:03

Playing the robots today, their play speed is mind-numbingly fast. They've always been too quick for my comfort, but this is something else. It is distracting me from thinking deliberately. Can they be slowed to more of a human tempo?

#2 User is offline   bixby 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-November-10, 18:58

View Postnob turner, on 2018-November-10, 17:03, said:

Playing the robots today, their play speed is mind-numbingly fast. They've always been too quick for my comfort, but this is something else. It is distracting me from thinking deliberately. Can they be slowed to more of a human tempo?

Yes, I posted this earlier today in "General BBO Discussion":

Robot play used to happen at a reasonable speed. But recently I have noticed when playing in Robot World that the robots have started playing at lightning speed. When I lead from my hand as South, it sometimes happens that West, North and East play almost instantaneously, and if I don't win the trick, one of them leads to the next trick so fast that I never see the cards played to the trick I led to. I know I can still click on the played cards to see what I missed, but that is not really a good substitute for seeing each card as it is played.

Is there a setting that controls this? Did I change the setting recently without knowing it? Is there a way to get back to things as they were?

#3 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2018-November-11, 12:16

Yes please slow them down a bit while having them calculate/simulate for a bit longer so they play at least a tad better.

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-11, 16:06

I would suggest 1s minimum time for a Robot call or play.
And uniting the two identical topics B-)

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-11, 20:10

Just turn autoplay-singleton off. Then you can always hower over the last trick if it has already been quited before your counted the tricks.

So the speed shouldn't be a problem.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   bixby 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-12, 06:50

View Postpescetom, on 2018-November-11, 16:06, said:

I would suggest 1s minimum time for a Robot call or play.
And uniting the two identical topics B-)

One second is longer than you think it is. I would say that half a second would be sufficient as a delay between cards within a trick (maybe even a bit less); perhaps 1 second would be a good delay at the end of a trick. But what's happening right now, with a delay of basically zero, is, IMHO, too fast for human comfort, particularly with regard to the time needed between the end of a trick and a robot lead to the next trick.

(Sorry, I don't know how to merge the topics.)

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-12, 07:01

View Postbixby, on 2018-November-12, 06:50, said:

One second is longer than you think it is. I would say that half a second would be sufficient as a delay between cards within a trick (maybe even a bit less); perhaps 1 second would be a good delay at the end of a trick. But what's happening right now, with a delay of basically zero, is, IMHO, too fast for human comfort, particularly with regard to the time needed between the end of a trick and a robot lead to the next trick.

(Sorry, I don't know how to merge the topics.)

I agree that there is a large perceived difference between half a second and an entire second. I could live with either, but near zero is irritating at best. I've often reflected that a real world Director might uphold a complaint that the robot opponents were trying to intimidate and confuse by playing at unusual tempo.

(my suggesting to merge the topics was for an administrator)

#8 User is offline   nob turner 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-November-12, 14:07

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-November-11, 20:10, said:

Just turn autoplay-singleton off. Then you can always hower over the last trick if it has already been quited before your counted the tricks.

So the speed shouldn't be a problem.

you obviously haven't played the robots lately. this isn't about the last trick... it's about EVERY trick.

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-12, 14:12

View Postnob turner, on 2018-November-12, 14:07, said:

you obviously haven't played the robots lately. this isn't about the last trick... it's about EVERY trick.

Yes, I play with/against robots daily.

Are you talking about board where the robots declare? You can always replay the hand. Doesn't matter that you can't follow the play while it happens.

Sorry, I just don't see the problem. To me, it only has advantages that the robots are fast.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   nob turner 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-November-15, 23:43

well, after 5 days - no change. that convinces me not to sign up for the nabc tournament online.

#11 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-16, 01:23

View Postnob turner, on 2018-November-15, 23:43, said:

well, after 5 days - no change. that convinces me not to sign up for the nabc tournament online.

Apparently fixed by BBO according to Barmar

https://www.bridgeba...-of-robot-play/

If only BBO could fix bidding and play bugs as quickly :(

#12 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2018-November-16, 19:13

View Postnob turner, on 2018-November-15, 23:43, said:

There are 2 more practice rounds to test; one Sat, Nov 17, and another Sun.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users