Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Speed of Robot Play

#1 User is offline   bixby 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-November-10, 13:12

Robot play used to happen at a reasonable speed. But recently I have noticed when playing in Robot World that the robots have started playing at lightning speed. When I lead from my hand as South, it sometimes happens that West, North and East play almost instantaneously, and if I don't win the trick, one of them leads to the next trick so fast that I never see the cards played to the trick I led to. I know I can still click on the played cards to see what I missed, but that is not really a good substitute for seeing each card as it is played.

Is there a setting that controls this? Did I change the setting recently without knowing it? Is there a way to get back to things as they were?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-November-10, 22:12

No, there's no speed setting. We recently implemented some performance improvements that reduces the load on our robot servers and results in faster robot play.

#3 User is offline   bixby 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-11, 16:00

Barmar, thank you for that reply. I appreciate the speed, but it is disconcerting to have the robots play so fast that after the human player leads to a trick the next three cards can zip by almost instantaneously and then get wiped off the screen by a robot's lead to the next trick before the human can even see what they were. If the robots are going to play that fast then I would suggest that there at least needs to be a pause before a robot leads to the next trick so that we human players can see the cards for a moment before they disappear.

If the robots play that fast during the upcoming NABC Robot Individual a lot of people are going to notice!

Thanks for your consideration.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-November-12, 10:38

We're looking into fixing this.

#5 User is offline   bixby 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-12, 13:33

Excellent. Thank you, Barmar.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-November-15, 09:58

This should be better now. The mobile and HTML preview versions already had a delay before the robot leads to the next trick, we added that to the Flash version yesterday.

#7 User is offline   sacto123 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-November-17, 21:41

View Postbarmar, on 2018-November-10, 22:12, said:

No, there's no speed setting. We recently implemented some performance improvements that reduces the load on our robot servers and results in faster robot play.

Programmed delays based on counting CPU cycles are always going to get shorter as computers run faster. Is it not possible to tie the delay to a real time clock instead?

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-November-19, 00:14

View Postsacto123, on 2018-November-17, 21:41, said:

Programmed delays based on counting CPU cycles are always going to get shorter as computers run faster. Is it not possible to tie the delay to a real time clock instead?

That's what we did. When the robot wins a trick, it now pauses for 1.5 seconds before quitting the trick and leading to the next trick.

#9 User is offline   sacto123 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-November-19, 13:35

View Postbarmar, on 2018-November-19, 00:14, said:

That's what we did. When the robot wins a trick, it now pauses for 1.5 seconds before quitting the trick and leading to the next trick.

How about a delay after each card is played. Not being able to see each card as it is played makes for a rather unpleasant experience.

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-November-19, 14:02

View Postsacto123, on 2018-November-19, 13:35, said:

How about a delay after each card is played. Not being able to see each card as it is played makes for a rather unpleasant experience.

How about an option to turn over your played card, with the ability to see all played cards until you do so? This is a right under the laws of bridge, after all.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-November-20, 09:20

View Postsacto123, on 2018-November-19, 13:35, said:

All the cards played to the current trick remain visible until the winner leads to the next trick.

View Postpescetom, on 2018-November-19, 14:02, said:

How about an option to turn over your played card, with the ability to see all played cards until you do so? This is a right under the laws of bridge, after all.

Until you play to the next trick you can click on the stack of quitted tricks to see the previous trick.

#12 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-November-20, 11:24

View Postbarmar, on 2018-November-20, 09:20, said:

Until you play to the next trick you can click on the stack of quitted tricks to see the previous trick.

Is this something specific to Robot World, or to the Flash client?
Playing under Android at tables or in Free Tournaments, I don't see a stack of quitted tricks - the played cards just float off to the centre left under the board number, and I don't see where to click to view them before I play again.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-November-21, 09:47

On the mobile client the "stack" is the numbers of tricks each side has won. Tap on that to see the previous trick.

#14 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-November-21, 11:38

View Postbarmar, on 2018-November-21, 09:47, said:

On the mobile client the "stack" is the numbers of tricks each side has won. Tap on that to see the previous trick.

Thanks, I did try that but it didn't seem to work - I'll try again.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users