• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Pesky Preempt Contested Auction

#1 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-November-10, 08:53

MP tournament, playing 2/1 5-card major with your preferred agreements.
Let's start as West.
RHO interferes 3 over your partner's 1 opener.
What is your call here and how do you expect your partner to interpret it?

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-November-10, 09:07

It's not a great hand, the unbid suits are poor, but with one-and-a-half honour tricks, and an extra card in both unbid suits, it's just about (marginally) worth a double at the three level, however the problem being is how to proceed when and if partner bids next.

If you don't double now, you run the risk of allowing the opponents free rein. If you 'pass' partner could well have a fit for one of your suits but not enough to balance.

Better to double now and risk a vulnerable penalty - you can't go through your bridge life without taking risks - than to lamely pass, I feel.

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-10, 09:47

Negative double stands out. I can handle anything partner does including pass (K lead). Pre-empts at this vul are not always gilt edged and if you don't show a pulse now partner will most often be handcuffed.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-November-10, 10:28

View Postggwhiz, on 2018-November-10, 09:47, said:

Negative double stands out.

That seems pretty clear so far.
I was just curious if anyone sees merit in other calls (in particular 3), or would do so with slightly different cards but same shape.
If so, they can always chime in.
In the meantime let's move on.

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-November-10, 10:41

In East now.
Partner doubled the 3 overcall of your 1 opening.
What do you rebid?

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-10, 10:59

View Postpescetom, on 2018-November-10, 10:41, said:

In East now.
What do you rebid?

I think I rebid 4, what do I need for game ? a stiff spade, K, KQ and a 5th card in one of the reds may be enough, with plenty of other options, K would be a huge card.

#7 User is offline   DozyDom 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-November-10, 11:46

View Postpescetom, on 2018-November-10, 10:41, said:

In East now.
What do you rebid?

4!D stands out. Though I'm deeply perturbed that N hasn't bid - they've got 4 or 5 card support for partner's suit.

#8 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-10, 12:27

View PostThe_Badger, on 2018-November-10, 09:07, said:

It's not a great hand, the unbid suits are poor, but with one-and-a-half honour tricks, and an extra card in both unbid suits, it's just about (marginally) worth a double at the three level, however the problem being is how to proceed when and if partner bids next.

If you don't double now, you run the risk of allowing the opponents free rein. If you 'pass' partner could well have a fit for one of your suits but not enough to balance.

Better to double now and risk a vulnerable penalty - you can't go through your bridge life without taking risks - than to lamely pass, I feel.

Wow, and I thought I was one of the more conservative people in this forum. I immediately thought 3h was the standout bid with maybe double working out. The K is gold, the singleton club is gold, you have 2 5 card suits gold, the suits are not solid, but are headed by top honors not queens. I think double is being timid and conservative, not pass. I'd have bid 3h.

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-November-10, 13:03

MP tournament, playing 2/1 5-card major with your preferred agreements.
Let's start as West.RHO interferes 3 over your partner's 1 opener.
What is your call here and how do you expect your partner to interpret it?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I rank
1. Doiuble = NEG Descriptive.
2. 3 = NAT Overbid.
3. Pass = NAT Pathetiic.

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-November-10, 13:56

View Postnige1, on 2018-November-10, 13:03, said:

3. Pass = NAT Pathetiic.

Thanks nige1 :)

And your ranking for opener's rebid after NEG double, assuming North is silent?

#11 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-10, 15:07

x and 4d I don't have much faith in other calls though I can see a MP decision to bid 3d over the neg x

#12 User is offline   guinnypoo 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-November-10, 18:37

Well, I don't consider myself an advanced bridge player, but I couldn't fathom passing here. 3 is what I would bid. If we end up in game and go set, I'm fine with that. Good 3c bid. I see nige1 saying that's an overbid but I'm looking at 12ish points opposite my partner's opener, singleton in opp suit, I shrug and bid, if it turns out we have no fit, K2 spades seems like a good fallback. 1s-3c-3h-P-4H-ppp.

#13 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-November-10, 23:44

View Postguinnypoo, on 2018-November-10, 18:37, said:

Well, I don't consider myself an advanced bridge player, but I couldn't fathom passing here. 3 is what I would bid. If we end up in game and go set, I'm fine with that. I see nige1 saying that's an overbid but I'm looking at 12ish points opposite my partner's opener, singleton in opp suit, I shrug and bid. 1s-3c-3h-P-4H-ppp

It's not 12 points (including distributional points) until you find a fit. There's no guarantee of a or fit, and you know a fit only marginally exists. As Nigel rightly says, 3 is an overbid here, except if you play it as a free bid in this situation (unusual), showing 8-11 say, but I certainly wouldn't bid it as free bid at the three level with such a mediocre five card suit.

#14 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-11, 01:19

View PostThe_Badger, on 2018-November-10, 23:44, said:

It's not 12 points (including distributional points) until you find a fit. There's no guarantee of a or fit, and you know a fit only marginally exists. As Nigel rightly says, 3 is an overbid here, except if you play it as a free bid in this situation (unusual), showing 8-11 say, but I certainly wouldn't bid it as free bid at the three level with such a mediocre five card suit.

10 hcp + 2 (2 5 card suits) = 12
I rank the king of spades as more than 3, though.

#15 User is offline   guinnypoo 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-November-11, 01:39

View PostThe_Badger, on 2018-November-10, 23:44, said:

Is there a good primer for bid sequences in these auctions? Having trouble finding good info on bidding when opponents go aggressive and weak. I feel like responder bidding his hand as game forcing is appropriate. I will say that compared to others I don't have a problem bidding a weak 5 card suit here.

#16 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2018-November-11, 03:04

Are the opponents playing strong intermediate or weak jump overcalls? There's a different action for each of them.What's worring me about this deal is that North,the preemptor's partner hasn't yet spoken and,for me,that spells danger.The red light is flashing. Fools rush in...... I would not hesitate to pass and await developments. If partner doubles,its still for takeout meaning he has values in the unbid suits. and you are now on safer ground Yes,of course you should bid boldly when the occasion merits it. But you should also play safe(!) Posted Image
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#17 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-11, 03:09

My rule of thumb is make the cheapest available bid
So West agree double
East 3 your K is waste paper and you don’t want to give up on 3N yet
I do not understand why North has not bid 5 but it sure helps

#18 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-11, 03:10

View PostPhilG007, on 2018-November-11, 03:04, said:

Are the opponents playing strong intermediate or weak jump overcalls? There's a different action for each of them.What's worring me about this deal is that North,the preemptor's partner hasn't yet spoken and,for me,that spells danger.The red light is flashing. Fools rush in...... I would not hesitate to pass and await developments. If partner doubles,its still for takeout meaning he has values in the unbid suits. and you are now on safer ground Yes,of course you should bid boldly when the occasion merits it. But you should also play safe(!) Posted Image

Unfortunately partner has Axxxx, AQ10, Ax, xxx and can't really double, you make 3+3 when the diamonds behave

This is an easy double.

#19 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2018-November-11, 03:12

View PostDozyDom, on 2018-November-10, 11:46, said:

4!D stands out. Though I'm deeply perturbed that N hasn't bid - they've got 4 or 5 card support for partner's suit.

4and if the opponents persist in spades, 5 thus telling partner I have good support for his red suits
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#20 User is offline   wuudturner 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-11, 04:47

Here is my take...

Double and 3♡ are both flawed. As usual, no bid in bridge is absolutely perfect, but they are the only choices I would consider for more than a millisecond.

I can accept the bid of 3♡ on a 5 card suit. But be honest. Is that really a 5 card suit? I'd call it about a 4.5 card suit. ;-) The spots are ratty, and there is nothing in the suit to support the king.

The virtue of 3♡ is this is match points. If we belong in a major suit game, then we want to be there on this hand. If both 4♡ and 5♢ just make, then we need to find 4♡. The flaw of 3♡ however is South has preempted. So the odds are good that South is short in hearts. Will partner raise 3♡ to 4♡ on a holding like xxx? Of course. Partner might even do so on a holding like Qx in a pinch. 3♡ is forcing.

The point of double is it keeps both red suits in the picture, just in case partner has a hand where even 6♢ is possible. Double allows for the case where partner wants to double their sorry a$$es when they made a risky white versus red preempt. Do opponents ever stretch to preempt when the vulnerability is white versus red? Of course!

So I lean towards double with this hand. If the scoring was IMPs on the hand, then I would lean yet more strongly towards double because then I don't fear a 5♢ contract. And, yes, if partner is exactly 5341 in shape, then we might have problems getting to our heart fit. If you made the heart suit slightly stronger, even swapping the red suits, then I would start to lean towards 3♡.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users