Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good for a laugh maybe.

#1 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-November-09, 08:01

I was faced with the following, playing 4 from South. Pairs MPs, Love all dealer S. I'd opened 2NT - a point shy of 20-22 but with two J-10's - and East had doubled my partners 3 transfer, presumably to show some strength and his suit.

W led a low to E's Ace, and E then returned the 9 (I think it was). I now felt minded to take the finesse - I felt sure E must be holding AQ and was tempting me to put up the K. With a second trick I could throw a and not risk the finesse.

Alas! My J was covered by W's Q, he returned a to my K, and now I'm in trouble. Even with the finesse, I still have two losers. Best I could think of was draw trumps, take finesse, cash A, A and ruff a , then lead a low from dummy.

Success! E played low and W was in with the J, having nothing but left to lead! With the ruff-and-discard I was home.

When E apologised for his misplay, I could only sympathise. I didn't deserve to make it!

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-November-09, 10:35

View Post661_Pete, on 2018-November-09, 08:01, said:

I didn't deserve to make it!

I think that one sentence sums up this hand entirely, Pete, but finessing at trick 2 was not unreasonable as that was your plan, but there is no guarantee that West had led low from three to an honour. (Many players lead small from three un-honoured cards these days.)

As they say, it's not over until the fat lady sings the last trick is played :)

#3 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2018-November-10, 06:00

I didn't deserve to make it!

Why not?

#4 User is offline   zhoraster 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-November-12, 14:57

I know some methods against doubled transfer bids on the second level. What about the third level? What would pass, xx, 3, 3NT mean here?

Say, if N has three small hearts, 3NT may be better. How does one show both spade support and a good stopper?

#5 User is offline   ericba2006 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-November-13, 06:00

I was faced with the following, playing 4 from South. Pairs MPs, Love all dealer S. I'd opened 2NT - a point shy of 20-22 but with two J-10's - and East had doubled my partners 3 transfer, presumably to show some strength and his suit.

W led a low to E's Ace, and E then returned the 9 (I think it was). I now felt minded to take the finesse - I felt sure E must be holding AQ and was tempting me to put up the K. With a second trick I could throw a and not risk the finesse.

Alas! My J was covered by W's Q, he returned a to my K, and now I'm in trouble. Even with the finesse, I still have two losers. Best I could think of was draw trumps, take finesse, cash A, A and ruff a , then lead a low from dummy.

Success! E played low and W was in with the J, having nothing but left to lead! With the ruff-and-discard I was home.

When E apologised for his misplay, I could only sympathise. I didn't deserve to make it!

Hey Pete, you may make if you just go up with the K.
If you do, then you'll surely make the contract. Your mistake and East's mistake neutralized each other, leaving you with 4 =.

#6 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-13, 13:35

I thought you played it well. It must be a favorite for the HQ to be onside for the X, and you found a way to recover in the ending by giving your opponent a chance to go wrong.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#7 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-14, 15:31

View PostThe_Badger, on 2018-November-09, 10:35, said:

I think that one sentence sums up this hand entirely, Pete, but finessing at trick 2 was not unreasonable as that was your plan, but there is no guarantee that West had led low from three to an honour. (Many players lead small from three un-honoured cards these days.)

You could have asked the opponents what they lead from 3 small. If it was a pickup partnership, they probably won't have any agreement but it doesn't cost anything to ask. What heart was returned by East at trick 2? If the 2, then West either has a singleton, or 3 hearts. If a higher spot, West could have 32 which is another reason to finesse besides the double of 3

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-14, 15:34

View Postkuhchung, on 2018-November-13, 13:35, said:

I thought you played it well. It must be a favorite for the HQ to be onside for the X, and you found a way to recover in the ending by giving your opponent a chance to go wrong.

East must have accidentally dropped 10 on the table, or misclicked if playing online. Sort of a reverse crocodile coup :)

#9 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-15, 13:19

View Postjohnu, on 2018-November-14, 15:34, said:

East must have accidentally dropped 10 on the table, or misclicked if playing online. Sort of a reverse crocodile coup :)

Hey if it worked, don't knock it!
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users