BBO Discussion Forums: Notrump Opener doubles Pass/Correct Bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Notrump Opener doubles Pass/Correct Bid What does it mean?

Poll: Notrump Opener doubles Pass/Correct Bid (13 member(s) have cast votes)

What does opener's double mean?

1. Shows the suit they just bid (but may not hold) (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Takeout of the suit they just bid (but may not hold) (11 votes [84.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.62%

3. It's not the same for all five examples given below... (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. Something Else (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-November-02, 02:45

I'm interested in how people play a 1NT opener's double after a pass-correct bid by RHO. Here are some examples:

1NT - (2 any one suit) - Pass - (2 pass/correct) - Dbl?
1NT - (2 either major) - Pass - (2 pass/correct) - Dbl?
1NT - (X one minor or both majors) - Pass - (2 pass/correct) - Dbl?
1NT - (X one minor and one major) - Pass - (2 pass/correct for five-card suit) - Dbl?
1NT - (2 hearts or the blacks) - Pass - (2 pass/correct) - Dbl?

Do people normally play this as takeout of the bid suit, showing the bid suit, or something else?
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-November-02, 04:14

Logic dictates that there's no point in warning the opponents that they have found the wrong fit: a penalty double at this level is ludicrous. And in the interests of not confusing partner too much, given that there are so many defences to 1NT, I personally would have the Dbl as takeout of the suit bid, a maximum NT opener with a doubleton in the bid suit. Trying to second guess what the overcaller might have here after the pass/correct bid by his partner is awkward. I'd keep it simple for my partner: takeout on all examples, obviously keeping an eye on the vulnerability too. You might have a maximum NT hand, but the opponents may have the majority of the points given that partner has passed. The last thing you want is a 500/800 penalty to your side when the opponents have only a part score available.

p.s. I might add that I don't play professionally any more, so other players might have specific defences to 1NT defences, but whenever I did play Dbl of a bid suit, whether it was natural or a pass/correct scenario (as in the Multi) was always takeout.

#3 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-02, 05:39

I vote for showing the suit bid, because it seems logical that it should be lead directing. When opponents remove the double to their real suit, a further double by opener is now takeout. If the "pass or correct" bid is followed by two passes, nothing is stopping responder from a reopening takeout double.

#4 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-November-02, 11:42

We play that 1NT - (2 either major) - Pass - (2 pass/correct) - Dbl? is takeout of Hearts, knowing that Dbl of (2) by partner would have been takeout of Spades (and he elected not to).

The others show the suit bid, but I'm open to being convinced to change.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users