Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO URL Controlled access to BBO

#1 User is offline   DaveRolyat 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-October-29, 08:54

It seems that some of the connection problems are not just proxy/port related. I believe that the BBO URL is on some kind of blacklist in the UK. For example if I try to play bridge on the Virgin Trains Wi-Fi, it says that BBO is not allowed, on the grounds that it's a "game" and is therefore deemed a waste of bandwidth I guess. I think the same is true of some university access controls.

Is there any way that you could have another URL, or even better a roving one, gets us into BBO without our servers seeing the current URL?

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-October-29, 16:28

View PostDaveRolyat, on 2018-October-29, 08:54, said:

It seems that some of the connection problems are not just proxy/port related. I believe that the BBO URL is on some kind of blacklist in the UK. For example if I try to play bridge on the Virgin Trains Wi-Fi, it says that BBO is not allowed, on the grounds that it's a "game" and is therefore deemed a waste of bandwidth I guess. I think the same is true of some university access controls.

It IS a game. I can see why a University or workplace might not be enthusiastic about this, but not a train service. It consumes very little bandwidth. Did you try complaining to Virgin Trains ?

#3 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-October-30, 02:21

I had no problems when Virgin ran the East Coast line earlier this year and it's been fine on the LNER franchise that replaced them.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-October-30, 09:45

If we did this it would probably just be a temporary fix, they'll learn the new URL in time.

"Roving" URLs are most often used by malware sites, to try to get around anti-virus filters. Doing that would be a good way for us to get blocked by lots more services, since we'll look like that type of system.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users