Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

compatibility ratings compatibility questions

#1 User is offline   shif6 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-October-27, 19:44

How are the compatibility ratings determined? What do they mean?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-October-27, 19:54

See this post from when we first added them

https://www.bridgeba...post__p__793672

Uday mentioned adding to it eventually, but we haven't changed anything as far as I know.

#3 User is offline   Largolia 

• Pip

Posted 2018-October-28, 05:40

Reading through the articles about "compatibility ratings", a thought crossed my mind -> Would'nt it be something :P if BBO assign the skill level as well? :rolleyes: How? All members have to play in all types of tourneys (mp's, imp's, tp's, etc.) for say a month or two or three ... only then do one qualify for a skill level rating (like the 'star' rating that BBO assign) ..
Now would'nt that be fun ! :D some "experts" suddenly on a novice level and vice versa B-) :o :)

#4 User is offline   Joe_Old 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-October-28, 08:12

I wish that compatibility ratings took into account our own ratings of the other player. When I blacklist someone for rudeness I really don't want to find that BBO still gives that player three stars. Conversely, shouldn't my friends automatically be rated as very compatible?

#5 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-October-28, 08:32

View PostLargolia, on 2018-October-28, 05:40, said:

Would'nt it be something :P if BBO assign the skill level as well?

If you want to create havoc on BBO, especially among the lesser gods playing here, you should do exactly that.Some older players will remember MSN bridge, which site had a skill level indeed. This created endless rows between partners, like you xxx are deliberately damaging my rating etc. If you are so inclined it could be fun, but I guess most of us prefer to play in a somewhat more civilized environment.

Maarten Baltussen

#6 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-October-28, 14:53

Reading through the articles about "compatibility ratings", a thought crossed my mind -> Would'nt it be something :P if BBO assign the skill level as well? :rolleyes: How? All members have to play in all types of tourneys (mp's, imp's, tp's, etc.) for say a month or two or three ... only then do one qualify for a skill level rating (like the 'star' rating that BBO assign) ..
Now would'nt that be fun ! :D some "experts" suddenly on a novice level and vice versa B-) :o :)

Hi Largolia, welcome to the forum!

The topic you raised has been discussed in about 100 threads already, so I don't think we should start discussing it again. You can find some of those threads by googling
player ratings site:bridgebase.com

To summarize, the answer is no. The consensus is that BBO should not publish computed rankings.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-28, 16:40

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-October-28, 14:53, said:

To summarize, the answer is no. The consensus is that BBO should not publish computed rankings.

Although an independent site did publish computed rankings for BBO all the same.
And while that may or may not have caused behavioural problems, since BBO suppressed it, behaviour has noticeably degraded all the same.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-October-29, 08:18

View PostJoe_Old, on 2018-October-28, 08:12, said:

I wish that compatibility ratings took into account our own ratings of the other player. When I blacklist someone for rudeness I really don't want to find that BBO still gives that player three stars. Conversely, shouldn't my friends automatically be rated as very compatible?

I think we did this before we started distinguishing "friend" and "following". It didn't seem right to consider you to be compatible with someone you're just following.

While we could take your direct enemy list into account, is it really necessary? They'll be shown in black in player listings, so it's pretty obvious who they are and the compatibility stars shouldn't matter. They also won't be able to invite you to play with them.

We do take friend/enemy ratings into account in a different way. Players with similar ratios of the number of people who have marked them as friends versus enemies are considered compatible. I.e. "nice" players are considered compatible with each other, and "mean" players are compatible with each other.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-October-29, 08:23

Reading through the articles about "compatibility ratings", a thought crossed my mind -> Would'nt it be something :P if BBO assign the skill level as well?

We do. From Uday's post: "avg adjusted points earned per hand". It's a very crude statistic and we don't make it visible anywhere.

#10 User is offline   djlfp 

• Pip

Posted 2018-October-29, 14:35

Are "avg adjusted points earned per hand" used to assign us to groups A, B, or C in tournaments?

#11 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-October-29, 15:22

View Postbarmar, on 2018-October-29, 08:18, said:

We do take friend/enemy ratings into account in a different way. Players with similar ratios of the number of people who have marked them as friends versus enemies are considered compatible. I.e. "nice" players are considered compatible with each other, and "mean" players are compatible with each other.

I must have the ratio of a saint, because I don't remember marking anyone as an enemy and occasionally my partners were quite unhappy with me :)
IMO "enemy" is a poor choice of words, if I was allowed to assign "dumb" or "rude" then there would be a quite few. But I really can't consider someone I don't even know and with luck will never encounter again an enemy. "Avoid" might be appropriate.

#12 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-October-30, 09:27

View Postdjlfp, on 2018-October-29, 14:35, said:

Are "avg adjusted points earned per hand" used to assign us to groups A, B, or C in tournaments?

No, that uses either ACBL Masterpoints® or BBO points, depending on the type of tournament.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-October-30, 09:32

View Postpescetom, on 2018-October-29, 15:22, said:

I must have the ratio of a saint, because I don't remember marking anyone as an enemy and occasionally my partners were quite unhappy with me :)

It's based on the number of people who mark you as Ignore, not the number that you're ignoring.

IMO "enemy" is a poor choice of words, if I was allowed to assign "dumb" or "rude" then there would be a quite few. But I really can't consider someone I don't even know and with luck will never encounter again an enemy. "Avoid" might be appropriate.

We changed the wording from "Enemy" to "Ignore" at the same time that we added the distinction between "Friend" and "Following".

#14 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-October-30, 10:10

View Postbarmar, on 2018-October-30, 09:32, said:

It's based on the number of people who mark you as Ignore, not the number that you're ignoring.

Got it, thanks. And I don't want to know B-)

#15 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-30, 19:02

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-October-28, 14:53, said:

I don't think there was any consensus. BBO's official position is that they will not calculate and display rankings. Since BBO is not a democracy, that ended any real discussion.

My estimate is that many more posters were in favor of rankings than those opposed.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users