BBO Discussion Forums: Slam defence - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +

Slam defence

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-October-22, 23:38

Dear all

I recently was defending 6S. I think it was a borderline slam and nobody else actually bid it. But since I like leaps of faith and borderline slams myself I'm not complaining and congratulated ops for bidding and playing it. However I believe it can be brought down if my partner knows what I and declarer hold on last two tricks. Since partner had to choose which king to discard. Please advise if there is a way I can signal this or discard better in my hand. When I say borderline I mean that it didn't seem that the auction explored hands enough to know. West had ver good hand and was given the additional Ace, but they only had 7 trumps and didn't know they had K. However I was quite impressed since nobody else went close to bidding it. NT slam attempts went down. 6D is possible etc

Regards Possum

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-October-23, 01:14

I'll let others answer you at length on here about discards, but it actually comes down to your partner remembering what you played at trick 1 to his lead. Then he'll know what king to throw at the end.

#3 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-23, 01:24

This has nothing to do with discarding and everything to do with counting the hand and placing the cards. Your partner knows that you don't have the Q (you would have played it at trick one), so declarer must have Q and he must keep the K.

He has to hope that you can control the hearts, else the contract is not being defeated. But in fact, if he is counting the hand he will have worked out that declarer started with four spades and five diamonds (partner showed out on the third round). He also started with three clubs (ace and jack have been played and he knows that declarer has the queen), so declarer only started with one heart. Now it is easy to see that the K is of no value and can be discarded.

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-23, 03:12

OK, after the opening lead, declarer has 12 top tricks when the diamonds behave, he just forgot to draw the last trump.

Others have covered why N should get this right.

#5 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-23, 03:39

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-October-23, 03:12, said:

after the opening lead, declarer has 12 top tricks when the diamonds behave, he just forgot to draw the last trump.

Agreed, a heart lead and a forcing defence is needed to really trouble declarer - I don't think there is any realistic way to bring home the contract on this defence.

But I can't really fault a club lead on this auction.

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-23, 06:21

I would have been more impressed if they had bid carefully to 6.
Not everyone would open East's hand let alone rebid 2 here.

#7 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-October-23, 06:37

View PostTramticket, on 2018-October-23, 03:39, said:

Agreed, a heart lead and a forcing defence is needed to really trouble declarer - I don't think there is any realistic way to bring home the contract on this defence.

But I can't really fault a club lead on this auction.

Can be done, but you have to play N for pretty much his actual hand.

#8 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-23, 06:59

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-October-23, 06:37, said:

Can be done, but you have to play N for pretty much his actual hand.

Is that a challenge? My double dummy solution is.

You would need to:
- Eliminate the hearts.
- Eliminate the diamonds.
- Draw precisely three rounds of trumps.
- Run the long diamonds, allowing North to ruff-in at a time of his choosing, when he will be end-played into leading a club.

Notes
- Eliminating hearts involves ruffing hearts twice in hand and declarer coming down to fewer trumps than North.
- You will need to delay drawing trumps until after you have ruffed hearts twice.
- You will also need an entry to dummy to draw the last trump as well as two entries to ruff the two hearts. One of the entries can come in trumps, but two entries will need to be in diamonds (before you have drawn trumps). This all means that you need diamonds to be 2-2, playing North for the queen and taking a first-round finesse in diamonds

This all seems a bit unlikely!! I think that I would be more likely to play three rounds of trumps, hoping for a 3-3 trump split. :)

#9 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-October-23, 12:52

The easy answer is at their first opportunity, south should discard a discouraging club. If you are playing standard, discard the 5, if playing upside down, the 9. At that point, north MUST hang on to the K to the end.

#10 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2018-October-23, 13:04

View PostHardVector, on 2018-October-23, 12:52, said:

The easy answer is at their first opportunity, south should discard a discouraging club. If you are playing standard, discard the 5, if playing upside down, the 9. At that point, north MUST hang on to the K to the end.

After playing 9 to the first trick, wouldn't it count as revoke if you later discard it? ;)

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-October-23, 16:27

I agree with the others that after the first trick that partner should also know you don't have the Q. Playing simple defense (third hand high), it would be the card you should play to that trick if you held it.

Also, on the third round of trump, you might consider playing 6 (start of a high/low) showing something in . It doesn't necessarily show the K but an honor in against a slam. Your side isn't like to hold a lot opposite a slam, but any honor, especially a K or Q, is likely to be valuable. So showing it might help partner if partner has a discarding problem.

Finally, on the second last trick or whenever, when you get down to having to discard one of two possible guards, you should keep the suit that only you can guard and hope for help from partner in the other suit.

#12 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-October-23, 16:37

View PostTramticket, on 2018-October-23, 06:59, said:

You would need to:
- Eliminate the hearts.
- Run the long diamonds, allowing North to ruff-in at a time of his choosing, when he will be end-played into leading a club.

Notes
- Eliminating hearts involves ruffing hearts twice in hand and declarer coming down to fewer trumps than North.
- You will need to delay drawing trumps until after you have ruffed hearts twice.
- You will also need an entry to dummy to draw the last trump as well as two entries to ruff the two hearts. One of the entries can come in trumps, but two entries will need to be in diamonds (before you have drawn trumps). This all means that you need diamonds to be 2-2, playing North for the queen and taking a first-round finesse in diamonds

This all seems a bit unlikely!! I think that I would be more likely to play three rounds of trumps, hoping for a 3-3 trump split. :)

Pretty much covers it, and is why I said what I said that you had to play him for his exact hand, 3-3 trumps or the club finesse looks more likely.

#13 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-23, 16:44

Hi all

Thanks for the discussion. I'm still fairly basic at carding, mostly attitude in my experience. I thought maybe I should have followed partners opening lead with a lower club but that risked a low C trick to declarer so I played my highest which is what I'm used to. I need to learn more about count etc. But I certainly was not questionning partner's defence

I thought declarer and partner played well (at least to me). Declarer would have expected more from dummy and partner probably thought I had almost nothing so I just wanted to show I had something that could be useful

thanks P

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2018-October-23, 16:44

Others have explained why North knows, beyond any reasonable doubt, that declarer has the club Queen by virtue of trick one. Note that had declarer played the Queen at trick one (which is clearly the correct play....if South held J109, then North would not be sure where the Jack was, at least not at that stage), the result would be the same, since South would not play the 9 from J9x, not seeing the 10 in dummy.

Also, of course, as has been pointed out, declarer was cold on a non-heart lead once diamonds behaved....North had no business scoring a trump trick (which deprived declarer of a diamond trick).

So on the actual hand, it is trivial to defend 'correctly' after the initial lead, and trivial to play the hand for 12 tricks. Both N and W erred, in fundamental ways, and yet the score was (given the lead) par.

There will be other hands where the clues aren't as clear, and the OP is, I think, looking for help in defending such contracts.

On this hand, the simple solution is for South to think about what he knows. The lead of the low club (to which I will return, since it seems me to be a clear error), tells South that partner has at least 3 clubs and maybe 4 (assuming 4th best leads). Declarer topped the 9 with the J. Partner won't have KQ, since he would lead the King. Therefore opener has either AKJ or AQJ. He may have 3 or 4. In any scenario, South's clubs are irrelevant and everyone at the table knows this.

So it behooves him to tell partner what is going on in the suit. He does this by pitching his remaining 2 clubs as soon as possible...and from high to low, to give count. There can be no ambiguity in doing this, because he cannot be signaling attitude....his play of the 9 at trick one denied any honour. So the pitching of the 7 cannot be 'attitude' any more than following up with the 5 can be completing a 'come on'.

Once South has shown that he began with 975 of clubs, North knows that declarer began with AQJ. Of course, on this hand we already knew that. But imagine South had J75 and declarer AQ9...now South plays the J at trick one and declarer wins the Q. It may well be necessary for North to decide whether declarer began with AQ in clubs and Qx in hearts or a stiff heart and AQ9 in clubs. Since South's Jack denied any other honour (he might have had the Q but for declarer playing it!), he can again see his clubs as irrelevant and therefore go out of his way to tell partner that he began with 3...pitch the 7 then the 5.

As for the lead: when the opponents have a power auction to slam (as they, wrongly, did here....West has no business bidding 4N but probably has no clue as to how to bid good hands other than by jumping to 4N) one should tend to make a passive lead. Note that North has no reason to believe that West has long diamonds but every reason to place West with some side Aces. Lead a spade!

Not just any spade...lead a small one. If the opps have all the top spades, you aren't taking any tricks, but if partner has a stiff honour, you are (almost) sure to take a trick by leading low...the only way you don't is if dummy has HHxx in spades, and the odds are very much against that, since that means declarer used 4N with at best Axxx in spades.

Now, on the hand, the spade lead does no good, but it is still the correct lead imo. Btw, I am usually a very aggressive leader, but not when the auction tells me to go passive, as I think it does here. One could easily be blowing a trick...imagine dummy with xx in clubs...so Kxxx Axx KJxx xx and declarer with AQJx Qx Axxx AQx
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#15 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-23, 19:32

Thanks all

Confirms I should have played clubs differently

I also think in post mortems its easy to forget that we were beginner or intermediate level, you see much less information than all four hands, it can be easy to forget an early play, and also that even if earlier play was not perfect you have to adjust play to dynamic circumstances.

It's often harder for four intermediates to make decisions than if it was four advanced who had bid and played perfectly up to that point.

But thx all. It confirmed that my misgivings about my C play were valid. Also shows me that even with that S hand against a slam I had to be on my game too and not just be passive with no regard for discards

P

#16 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-24, 02:19

In the first trick you didn't play the Q so partner should know west holds the Q of.

#17 User is offline   thawp66 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-October-24, 02:52

View PostTramticket, on 2018-October-23, 06:59, said:

You would need to:
- Eliminate the hearts.

Notes

I believe if N has a 3rd D instead of the 4th C, your DD solution is still valid.

#18 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-24, 03:09

There has been no comment regarding the play of the 9 by south at trick one when, sitting over the 863, the 5 is an equal and hence the normal play. Play of the 9 risks partner placing declarer with AQJ7 and therefore holding on to his fourth club in the end game (maybe not an issue on the actual hand, but could well be on a different lay out).

This hand illustrates a common point on BBO; before worrying about signals make sure you understand basic card play, e.g. the lowest from equals in third and fourth position, the highest from equals in first and second. The same applies to bidding; get your basic hand evaluation and bidding right before adding on lots of conventions.

#19 User is offline   zhoraster 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-October-24, 13:07

You don't have to blame yourself for the defense. Your partner made a terrible lead (imo), which highly likely will present declarer a trick, given the bidding. He then discarded the K knowing that you didn't have the Q. The robots on BBO often defend very poorly, but you partner had managed to defend even worse here.

You did make a huge mistake though, but in the bidding, when you failed to overcall with 2. You know by you partner's pass that your opponents have at least a game balance, and they will certainly find the right game or even slam unless you interfere.

2 is not so much of interference itself. But let us imagine what happens next. Obviously, W cannot bid spades. And he has a difficult choice now: to double, showing the 4-card spades or to bid 3 showing huge hand with diamond support.

The spades are just too good to be missed, so he would most likely double. But N now raises to 3, again passed to W.

The problem became much worse.

He may double, partner bids 3nt - now pass? Yes, probably, and farewell to 6.

He may bid 4, which is not good, as this is farewell to 3nt and gives partner a headache. His partner would probably bid 4 over 4, taking them to 6, which are hopeless, since you would certainly lead a heart against that.

Bottom line: use every opportunity to hinder opponents' bidding, especially when you know for sure that they have a game balance. (Some players in my club may even psych 1 with your hand.)

#20 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-24, 18:19

View Postzhoraster, on 2018-October-24, 13:07, said:

You don't have to blame yourself for the defense. Your partner made a terrible lead (imo), which highly likely will present declarer a trick, given the bidding. He then discarded the K knowing that you didn't have the Q. The robots on BBO often defend very poorly, but you partner had managed to defend even worse here.

You did make a huge mistake though, but in the bidding, when you failed to overcall with 2. You know by you partner's pass that your opponents have at least a game balance, and they will certainly find the right game or even slam unless you interfere.

2 is not so much of interference itself. But let us imagine what happens next. Obviously, W cannot bid spades. And he has a difficult choice now: to double, showing the 4-card spades or to bid 3 showing huge hand with diamond support.

The spades are just too good to be missed, so he would most likely double. But N now raises to 3, again passed to W.

The problem became much worse.

He may double, partner bids 3nt - now pass? Yes, probably, and farewell to 6.

He may bid 4, which is not good, as this is farewell to 3nt and gives partner a headache. His partner would probably bid 4 over 4, taking them to 6, which are hopeless, since you would certainly lead a heart against that.

Bottom line: use every opportunity to hinder opponents' bidding, especially when you know for sure that they have a game balance. (Some players in my club may even psych 1 with your hand.)

I did consider a 2H interferennce but haven't done it on such a weak hand before. However I will consider it in future. That would also have aided partner in defence

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users