BBO Discussion Forums: BBO questions from relative BBO newbie - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO questions from relative BBO newbie

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-October-21, 19:15

Dear all

I've played on and off for over 40 years but probably could not rate myself as better than intermediate. However I am used to playing standard systems such as ACOL and more recently SAYC and 2/1 with fairly basic extras. Now getting fairly comfortable with most of the new most fashionable extras in GIB's 2/1 such were new to me such as splinters, drury, weak 2s, rkcb etc. I have also played in a few clubs with a little experience of casual duplicate. I'm familiar with agreeing a CC with partner to show to ops when they join table.

However I do not really understand the clubs here at all. I understand each individual puts thing in their profiles. However in both main and relaxed (I prefer latter atm) I observe almost no introductions, no discussion of conventions, no alerts, no queries etc. Occasionally I see it at a table but rarely. How does everyone play in this way. Do individuals just bid their own way and expect everyone to understand from the profile. Is the club an SAYC club. Although 2/1 seems more common. Is there an assumed convention. Why is there no interaction. I thought conventions and queries and explanation of bids was an important part of bridge.

PS Can I make a suggestion that at table the developers disable private chat between players (or is that disabled already)

regards P

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-October-22, 01:15

Everything you say is true. It can be a bit of a free-for-all, especially in the main room. It irks me too that players don't make introductions, don't have profiles, get ratty when you want an explanation of a bid, etc. etc. That's why I only play with friends on here.

My solution for what it's worth, is to use the "friends and enemies" button to differentiate between those players who you find agreeable/acceptable, and those you find disagreeable. The problem with this in the main room as there are so many players it loses it's effectiveness as you will invariably join a table where you know no-one. However, in the smaller public clubs, it can be an effective tool.

I also suggest watching as a kibitzer for a while, flitting from table to table, noting how players behave, clicking on their profiles to see if they have filled out a profile, etc. It's surprising how much you can learn about players by watching them! And you can also allocate 'friends' that way.

As they say "Birds of a feather flock together" so once you have established yourself here - and it does take a bit of perseverance - and found a few likeminded players, you will get invites to join games and meet other players who want to play this game pleasantly. Good luck.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-October-23, 08:23

View Postthepossum, on 2018-October-21, 19:15, said:

I've played on and off for over 40 years but probably could not rate myself as better than intermediate. However I am used to playing standard systems such as ACOL and more recently SAYC and 2/1 with fairly basic extras. Now getting fairly comfortable with most of the new most fashionable extras in GIB's 2/1 such were new to me such as splinters, drury, weak 2s, rkcb etc. I have also played in a few clubs with a little experience of casual duplicate. I'm familiar with agreeing a CC with partner to show to ops when they join table.

Weak 2's are "fashionable extras"? I've been playing bridge for 30 years, and weak 2 has always been a standard treatment. And I think most intermediate players here play RKCB as well.

You mention ACOL, so I guess you're from the UK. Are they still considered new-fangled there?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users