BBO Discussion Forums: Profile advice. Sorry for so many BBO queries - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Profile advice. Sorry for so many BBO queries

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-October-20, 18:24

Dear all

Please can someone look at my profile and advise me which information is unnecessary, what is missing etc.

I was brought up on ACOL but recently have been playing fairly standard 2/1. Also know enough SAYC to play.

I notice there is hardly ever discussion of conventions when people join tables. How do people know what their partner and ops are playing. Surely each individual doesn't play their own system which could be incompatible with their partner.

Would be very grateful for any advice on what to list and what not to list. I'm ever hopeful of meeting an ACOL player which is why I list it but am happy, and more recently experienced in 2/1 and SAYC.

Regards Possum

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-20, 20:03

I see so many people do it, but I don't see any point in saying that you play Stayman, weak 2s and strong 2.. seems to me that would be more important to note if you *didn't*! (I also see Gerber so prominent in profiles, despite never having seen it once bid in the last few years of playing on BBO..)

In terms of the 2/1 part, if I were playing as a pickup partnership, things that occur commonly that I would like answered in a profile:

RKCB 1430 or 0314? (You only say RKCB. With a typo ;))
Inverted minors or not?
2 way or 4 way transfers?
NMF, or some other form of checkback?
What defense to 1nt?
Standard carding, UDCA, O/E?

Plus possibly whether you play strong/weak jump shifts or Bergen.
(And which type of Drury, if you play it.)

#3 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-October-21, 01:22

No need to be sorry for so many BBO queries on here. If it's helping you and others get a grip on this game then that's only a good thing. Keep them coming. :)

#4 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-21, 15:18

If you navigate to the Acol Players' Bridge Club (Casual Play->All Public and Private clubs), then you will find a lot of welcoming people playing Acol. It is well suited for less experienced players and the management is very strong on good behaviour.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-21, 23:52

Thanks everyone
P

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-22, 21:02

One of the most important things to agree on is in which contested auctions you NT system still works.

GIB plays system on in basically all situations except when opps interfere with 2 or higher. In my experience, this is what most people on BBO play. To keep the story short on your C/C, you could just write "system on" or maybe "when in doubt assume system on"

SAYC (which few people know despite many putting it on their profile) has system off in most situations except that:
- in response to a 1NT overcall, stayman is on (but transfers off)
- when they double out 1NT, system is on and XX is a weak hand with a long minor

If you consider yourself flexible, you can also finish the profile off with
"... or whatever you prefer" or
"... or your system"
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users