BBO Discussion Forums: Fourth suit jump - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fourth suit jump

#21 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-October-20, 20:19

View Postnekthen, on 2018-October-19, 03:44, said:

I cannot see the value in it being a cue bid. I would go with the natural solution of a 5 5 hand, the interesting question is whether it is weak or GF. As you could rebid the 4th suit to show the GF version I vote for a weak hand at least 55 how else can you bid this

Sir,if a bid of fourth suit jump bid is used for a hand like the one you have stated what is the openers bid for a hand where . he holds ,lets say, x-AJxxx-xx-AQJxx.and, it therein has a danger of having to play at an uncomfortable level.

#22 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-21, 07:07

View PostCaitlynne, on 2018-October-20, 15:53, said:

I prefer to play it as a Splinter showing 4+ card length in opener's second suit and - importantly - shortness in opener's first bid suit.

For example, in the sequence given (1H-1S, 2C-3D), one might expect responder's hand to be something like this:
AQxxx
x
QJx
KJxx

That's interesting, and I can see why you prefer not to bid 4SF with that hand.
But what about a simple raise of opener's second suit? Sure it's not forcing, but partner is hardly going to pass.

#23 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-October-21, 16:20

View Postpescetom, on 2018-October-21, 07:07, said:

That's interesting, and I can see why you prefer not to bid 4SF with that hand.
But what about a simple raise of opener's second suit? Sure it's not forcing, but partner is hardly going to pass.

If it's not forcing, what makes you think partner won't pass? The idea of the splinter bid, is that when you have a minor suit fit, there are a number of different places to play. You first look for NT, then you think about playing in a 7 card fit in a major suit game, then you decide how high in the minor you are going to bid. 3nt making 4 is a poor score, btw, when there are 12 tricks in clubs. The splinter will clarify the opener's hand and start a good conversation to the right contract.

#24 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-22, 10:39

View PostHardVector, on 2018-October-21, 16:20, said:

If it's not forcing, what makes you think partner won't pass? The idea of the splinter bid, is that when you have a minor suit fit, there are a number of different places to play. You first look for NT, then you think about playing in a 7 card fit in a major suit game, then you decide how high in the minor you are going to bid. 3nt making 4 is a poor score, btw, when there are 12 tricks in clubs. The splinter will clarify the opener's hand and start a good conversation to the right contract.

I agree up to a point. Partner is unlikely to pass because his 2C rebid was non-forcing and responder with no better prospect than a partial in clubs could have passed - the minor fit is good news and surely invites him to bid 3NT if he has a diamonds stopper, if he doesn't he may well have the strength to bid 4SF himself. So he has much the same picture and opportunities as in the splinter bid. But yes, I can see that it's useful to let opener know about the shortage and to open up a game force that does not deny interest in the minor slam.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users