BBO Discussion Forums: Responding to 1M in competition - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Responding to 1M in competition

#1 User is offline   r8864 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-October-17, 22:54

Let's say my partner open 1H and I have 4 HCP with a 3-card support. RHO overcalls 1S. If I bid 2H, partner probably expects me to have 6-9 HCP. Last time this happened to me, the bidding went like 1H-1S-2H-2S-3H-P-P-P. Are there any ways to show my intention to stay in competition without showing value?

#2 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-October-17, 23:25

There are some artificial methods that allow you to distinguish between a weak and a decent 2H raise here, but you probably don't want to learn them.

Was 3H actually a bad result for you? Generally in these instances, 3H down 1 (or even down 2 nonvulnerable not doubled) is a good result since -50 or -100 is better than -110.

Unless you were completely flat, 2H was probably the right bid.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-18, 06:09

View Postr8864, on 2018-October-17, 22:54, said:

Let's say my partner open 1H and I have 4 HCP with a 3-card support. RHO overcalls 1S. If I bid 2H, partner probably expects me to have 6-9 HCP. Last time this happened to me, the bidding went like 1H-1S-2H-2S-3H-P-P-P. Are there any ways to show my intention to stay in competition without showing value?

Is it really so difficult to follow a system? If partner would expect 6-9 HCP, then with 4HCP and only modest support you should Pass. You haven't excluded yourself permanently from the bidding, just made a first description of your hand.

#4 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-18, 07:51

Of course there are ways, and no intermediate should be without one in their partnership agreements. However, without such agreement you have to adhere to what is expected for a 2 bid, and if that is 6-9hcp then so be it. Pass if you are weaker.

This is not to say that you should simply add up the hcp. As always, you have to consider it in the context of the bidding. If your hand is
Kx
Qxx
xxx
xxxxx
Then this is not just 5 hcp. That K of spades is probably on the right side to take a trick; a Q is normally a "soft" value, and you would discount Qs in side suits a little, but here in partner's suit it is pulling its weight. Overall this is a good 5 and it is reasonable to treat this like 6hcp, and bid 2. Move either of those honours to a different suit, and no, don't do it.

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-18, 11:15

It's also true that most experts will reply with much less than that. But remember that they are used to playing against more aggressive opponents and often in team tournaments rather than pairs. And not only are they skilled in hand evaluation but they tune their agreements accordingly. In a novice-beginner situation it's better to follow the system fairly closely. If it says to pass then there will be a good reason.

#6 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-18, 12:21

As the others pointed out, it is really a question of anticipation and judgment.

With 4 HCPs in your hand and H suit vs. S, your side is not favorite to win the auction unless partner is strong. In that case just pass and show your support if partner « forces you » to bid e.g. with a X or cue bid or forcing calls.

You also have to take into consideration that if partner is really strong he’ll drive to game or make a game try even if opps don’t compete and go down while if you pass you would have reached a safer level.

If partner is moderately strong, you have to ask yourself do I want to encourage him compete. That is where the re-evaluation factor comes into play.

Jxx
xxx
Qxx
Jxxx

Clear pass. All negative factors are combined in a H contract. No honor in partner’s suit, so he might have to face some trump losers. No ruffing value to take care of his losers in the minors. A useless SJ and dubious minors honors.

xxxx
Qxx
QT9x
xx

2H (except maybe red vs green). Nice Q in partner’s suit. No wasted points in S where partner is singleton if they support S. Two sources of potential help for partner, a doubleton and a concentration of values in a side suit. So yes, I wanna be in 3H if partner can bid them with my help. It should often be a more profitable spot for us.

Your hand will often be in between, so if you feel ashamed tabling dummy then pass 😀

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-October-18, 14:25

View Postr8864, on 2018-October-17, 22:54, said:

Are there any ways to show my intention to stay in competition without showing value?
I suggest reaching into your bidding box several times before finally coming out with a 2M bid.
If playing upside down, play your bidding card quickly.

The answer is no! <sarcasm is involved>
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#8 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-18, 15:15

View Poststeve2005, on 2018-October-18, 14:25, said:

I suggest reaching into your bidding box several times before finally coming out with a 2M bid.
If playing upside down, play your bidding card quickly.

The last sentence is f*** hilarious! Steve you made my day.

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-October-19, 10:37

Normally, you should not violate partnership agreements. So, if your normal agreement is 3+ trump and 6-9 for a single raise, then adhere to that.

While it is tempting to try to show a fit with less, the problem is that partner will expect more from your hand and overbid. As others have pointed out, passing doesn't necessarily mean you won't be able to show support at some point in the auction. Also, supporting with less than agreed values might even work out on a particular hand, but the problem may be on future hands when you raise with "normal" values and partner has doubts about what values you have for your raise.

#10 User is offline   r8864 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-October-21, 04:55

Thank you all (except steve2005) for your input. I now have a much better idea. :D

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users