Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Those pesky spades Competitive bidding

#1 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-October-06, 07:09

This hand cropped up last night in a MP tournament.

West was kind not to preempt or sacrifice, and our score of 420 was actually better than most.
But it's frustrating to miss calling a good slam.
Ironically, probably the only way we might end up in 6 (or 6!-3) is if they open Multicolor.
Would your methods have got you to slam in practice after West's Pass?

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-October-06, 09:00

Would your methods have got you to slam in practice after West's Pass?

No. If I got to 4H and was allowed to play there I would consider it a win.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2018-October-06, 10:11

imo south should just force it to slam after north's very aggressive 4d bid!
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-October-06, 12:04

I wouldn't have opened the north hand in clubs, it's not strong enough for a reverse and if partner bids the wrong thing you have rebid problems. Considering that 1c was opened, then freely bid 4d, I'd expect a really big hand in the north. I'd be wondering if 6 was enough. I'd spend a bit of time deciding between 6 and 7. The spade void is huge.

#5 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-October-06, 12:39

I'm not fond of opening 1NT with 2245 and two major suit doubletons and open suits, but that North hand is a pretty solid 15 points (K&R evaluates it as 17!). It's a lie to reverse with such a hand (or bid 4 as in the actual auction) but it's sort of acceptable as a 1NT opener.

Whether you get to slam opening 1NT instead of 1 is another matter...

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-October-06, 14:52

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-October-06, 09:00, said:

No. If I got to 4H and was allowed to play there I would consider it a win.

I used to have a partner who over 1C-1S would have shrugged (visibly) and bid 4H.
Not very ethical or refined, but I miss him at times B-)

View PostHardVector, on 2018-October-06, 12:04, said:

I wouldn't have opened the north hand in clubs, it's not strong enough for a reverse and if partner bids the wrong thing you have rebid problems. Considering that 1c was opened, then freely bid 4d, I'd expect a really big hand in the north. I'd be wondering if 6 was enough. I'd spend a bit of time deciding between 6 and 7. The spade void is huge.

Clubs is the longer suit and being able to show that with second bid could be vital in a competitive bidding situation, as it indeed turned out to be. No rebid problem in our system if the auction is uncontested: raise a response of 1D (which might be clubs), bid 1NT over 1M (XYZ follows), bid 2D over a 2C game force.
I felt a free bid of 4D was legitimate in the competitive circumstances, and yes it should get south thinking. But he is often more realistic than me, in particular about what the rest of the room will be in.

View PostThe_Badger, on 2018-October-06, 12:39, said:

I'm not fond of opening 1NT with 2245 and two major suit doubletons and open suits, but that North hand is a pretty solid 15 points (K&R evaluates it as 17!). It's a lie to reverse with such a hand (or bid 4 as in the actual auction) but it's sort of acceptable as a 1NT opener.
Whether you get to slam opening 1NT instead of 1 is another matter...

With this agreement I could not open that hand 1NT. With my main partner yes, and I would have been tempted despite the risks. He would have transferred in Rubensohl, but if the interference continued he would have reached 5H knowing only that I held an even number of keycards and strong 4-5 minors - even assigning the spades Ace to opponents slam is far from sure.

#7 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2018-October-06, 17:48

[But he is often more realistic than me, in particular about what the rest of the room will be in]

if EW are typical of the rest of the room, then it's not something I'd worry about :lol: :lol:
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#8 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-06, 20:12

View Postpescetom, on 2018-October-06, 14:52, said:

Clubs is the longer suit and being able to show that with second bid could be vital in a competitive bidding situation, as it indeed turned out to be. No rebid problem in our system if the auction is uncontested: raise a response of 1D (which might be clubs), bid 1NT over 1M (XYZ follows), bid 2D over a 2C game force.
I felt a free bid of 4D was legitimate in the competitive circumstances, and yes it should get south thinking. But he is often more realistic than me, in particular about what the rest of the room will be in.

If that's your style, then you bid 5c and shrug. You are at a total guess on what partner has. If you have a little discipline and bid strong hands like strong hands, and let weaker hands go, then these decisions become alot easier. The fact you are soliciting opinions on how to get to the right place highlights the fact you were guessing on what to bid. I gave you my opinion, 4d should have shown a BIG hand. With that information, 6c is a must, and 7 is on the table.

#9 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-October-06, 23:48

In absence of any explanation of the 2H bid,I presume that it was a GF bid as otherwise North does not have enough to bid 4D. 6H is a precarious slam because of an impending club ruff and a heart ruff may be on in a 6C contract.Personally I will not mind missing the doubtful clam.

#10 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2018-October-07, 05:23

View Postmsjennifer, on 2018-October-06, 23:48, said:

In absence of any explanation of the 2H bid,I presume that it was a GF bid as otherwise North does not have enough to bid 4D. 6H is a precarious slam because of an impending club ruff and a heart ruff may be on in a 6C contract.Personally I will not mind missing the doubtful clam.

Even if you managed to make a game force,I honestly cant see West staying silent holding all these spades and seeing his partner bidding the suit(!)
One thing is certain,once the opponents find their giant spade fit,they are going to hound you all the way! :)
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#11 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-October-07, 06:29

View Postmsjennifer, on 2018-October-06, 23:48, said:

6H is a precarious slam because of an impending club ruff and a heart ruff may be on in a 6C contract.Personally I will not mind missing the doubtful clam.

I would have thought that the odds of a club ruff are little more than 25%, which looks quite tolerable - and as it is, 6H makes.

View PostPhilG007, on 2018-October-07, 05:23, said:

One thing is certain,once the opponents find their giant spade fit,they are going to hound you all the way! :)

Yup, I think the PAR will be 6S!-3, not that many will get that far.

#12 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-October-07, 08:28

View Postpescetom, on 2018-October-07, 06:29, said:

I would have thought that the odds of a club ruff are little more than 25%, which looks quite tolerable - and as it is, 6H makes.

Yup, I think the PAR will be 6S!-3, not that many will get that far.

Sir.NO COMMENTS..

#13 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-07, 09:28

There are a number of bids in here that I disagree with.

4 is too much for my taste. Even if 2 is a gf this should be a power bid/slam try somewhere
4 rates to be -500 or more against a game but luckily stole souths next bid

Most of all 3. Really! What do you need to bid 4? That would end any slam moves.

As it is I would bid 6 as south
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#14 User is offline   Finanzier 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Chess, writing, reading, law, solutions

Posted 2018-October-07, 10:22

No. N has to have the exact right values with a doubleton. I dont think his 4promises such a good hand, its competitive.
The insistence on the -color with concealment of the -color can lead to a partnership-like detuning.

#15 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-October-07, 13:27

View Postggwhiz, on 2018-October-07, 09:28, said:

There are a number of bids in here that I disagree with.

4 is too much for my taste. Even if 2 is a gf this should be a power bid/slam try somewhere
4 rates to be -500 or more against a game but luckily stole souths next bid

Most of all 3. Really! What do you need to bid 4? That would end any slam moves.

As it is I would bid 6 as south

Thanks for this and other similar comments, although my interest wasn't so much in what you thought about NS bidding, or even less EW.
My question was and remains: would your methods have got you to slam in practice, after West's Pass?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users