• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bids and alerts Bids and alerts

#1 User is offline   aurora 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2018-October-05, 05:13

Hello all :)

Sometimes is hard to be TD or to make an expert player to accept that also he can make mistakes. Because of this i would like to know your opinion about each bid and about what bid must be alerted in this hand. Thank you.

#2 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-October-05, 06:50

If you insert the diagram this way it is a bit easier on the eyes B-)

#3 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-October-05, 07:28

I'm not a tournament director, but except if 2 is some artificial bid (like Drury, but it can't be Drury as there is no fit), I don't understand why East isn't starting with 2. The whole bidding sequence doesn't sit comfortably with me whatsoever.

#4 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2018-October-05, 07:33

View Postaurora, on 2018-October-05, 05:13, said:

Sometimes is hard to be TD or to make an expert player to accept that also he can make mistakes. Because of this i would like to know your opinion about each bid and about what bid must be alerted in this hand. Thank you.

I think the only bid here that might necessitate an alert is the response of 2 rather than a more natural 2. If this choice is imposed by your system then the bid should be alerted to advise about any artificial meaning and/or the fact that it does not deny 5-cards in a higher suit.

I see nothing wrong with the initial passes or the opening. Whether or not East's 2 is excessively invitational given the spades misfit depends on agreements, I certainly wouldn't risk it when playing 2/1 with an unknown partner. And if the system prescribes 2 he had no good reason to deviate. The rest is stuff that happens between two aggressive players playing natural systems.

#5 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2018-October-05, 07:34

Assuming no specific partnership agreements this auction looks completely natural and no alerts would be required in jurisdictions that I am aware of.

East's choice of two clubs, rather than two diamonds, is unusual and the problem with bidding clubs before diamonds is shown in the clumsy nature of the auction. But not everyone is playing in the World Bridge Series and East may consider a different sequence next time.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-October-06, 04:48

View Postpaulg, on 2018-October-05, 07:34, said:

Assuming no specific partnership agreements this auction looks completely natural and no alerts would be required in jurisdictions that I am aware of.

East's choice of two clubs, rather than two diamonds, is unusual and the problem with bidding clubs before diamonds is shown in the clumsy nature of the auction. But not everyone is playing in the World Bridge Series and East may consider a different sequence next time.

Having looked at this again, you're right. It is a clumsy sequence but East is easily worth 3 after 2, and 4 can hardly be an advanced cue bid by a passed hand. I assume the result (that the OP didn't reveal) was a gain to East-West. North's semi-speculative Double is probably the clumsiest bid of them all: a hand that smells like a crossruff, tastes lie a crossruff, and lo-and-behold is a crossruff.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users