Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stay Low on Misfits

#1 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-September-28, 06:38

All of the best books tell you to stay low on misfits.

It is the first board of the night in the local club and you are playing in the once-a-month cross-IMP pairs. The opponents this round are a reasonably strong married couple, who have managed to fall out and have a row before the evening's bridge has even started. You are playing with your wife and are still on talking terms!

The wife-on-your-left opens one heart and partner over-calls in your void. The husband-on-your-right passes, so you have to decide whether to pass or bid one of your five-card suits (constructive). You would prefer to make a take-out double, but for some reason, the laws prohibit this. Your choice?

Did I mention the strange twisted expression on the face of your the HoyR as he passed? I couldn't decide whether this was caused by his earlier conversation with the WoyL, or the cards in his hand. I thought it wisest to pass.

The WoyL re-opens with a double and partner of course rebids her clubs. HoyR doubles with more facial expressions leaving you in no doubt that this is a penalty double. WoyL alerts the double and confirms that this is indeed for penalties (she has seen her husband's facial expression before). So, do you sit the double or run to one of your five-card suits? If you run, which suit do you choose?

I'm definitely running and a bid of three diamonds seems to leave open more options.

Thw WoyL passes and your partner hesitates briefly - surely she isn't thinking of bidding clubs again?! You inwardly sigh with relief when she passes (without turning the minor hesitation into a major hesitation). HoyR also briefly considers, before bidding three hearts.

That's better. We are feeling more comfortable now. Well, to be honest, we are feeling very comfortable now because we have high expectations of defeating three hearts, holding the ace and king of trumps and a likely club ruff opposite a partner, who was worth a two-level over-call - and she doesn't usually over-call on junk. Maybe we are worth a double? I would definitely double at MP pairs, but should I double a part-score contract at IMPs, even if I do think that it will go down?

And what about partner's minor hesitation? It seems that the laws are also deficient in differentiating between a minor hesitation and a major one. Who writes these laws? And more importantly does the hesitation suggest anything?

Do you pass or double?

Wise or stupid, I decide to double...

Partner leads the ace of diamonds (obediently leading my suit). We play standard count as the primary signal, but on an ace we give standard attitude. I play the four of diamonds and declarer plays the two. Partner switches to the ace of spades and I play the two. Next partner plays the five of diamonds ...

It doesn't matter what you do. You will take the ace and king of trumps, but nothing more.

The opponents, of course, are now back on speaking terms. We have a long night ahead of us, with partner adamant that it was my fault for doubling, whereas I am equally sure that ... it is my fault (it's just easier that way).

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-September-28, 08:24

It's partner's fault for not leading a trump. You must have the AKx for your double, Tramticket :)

Nice story, even though it didn't have a happy ending.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-28, 10:22

Curious RA that doesn't allow takeout doubles and alerts penalty doubles :)

What would RDBL at your second bid have meant, or is that forbidden too?

#4 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-28, 11:33

View Postpescetom, on 2018-September-28, 10:22, said:

Curious RA that doesn't allow takeout doubles and alerts penalty doubles :)

What would RDBL at your second bid have meant, or is that forbidden too?

Well it doesn't allow a take-out double of partner's bid! :)

Yes, penalty doubles of a suit bid (below 3NT) are alertable in England.

Yes, a redouble should be SOS - didn't cross my mind.

#5 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2018-September-29, 01:08

A classic case of "Lead a trump then look at your hand" or "Lead a trump even if void".

#6 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-September-29, 02:05

Sir ,As other posters have pointed out your partner should have led a trump. However,I feel that 2C was the limit of your partners hand and if I was in his/her seat I certainly would have kept quiet after that.Alas your side achieved a very good result as the opponents arrived on speaking terms.

#7 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-29, 03:05

I would not dream of doubling 3 hearts. How do you know p has 2 Aces? Now a trump lead is down. I would instead thank god that south saw fit to take out the penalty and take whatever we may get on this deal.
Even xx for take out can be running from the drizzle into the drip.

Maarten Baltussen

#8 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2018-September-29, 03:40

View Postmaartenxq, on 2018-September-29, 03:05, said:

I would not dream of doubling 3 hearts. How do you know p has 2 Aces? Now a trump lead is down. I would instead thank god that south saw fit to take out the penalty and take whatever we may get on this deal.
Even xx for take out can be running from the drizzle into the drip.

Maarten Baltussen

This contract is down two on normal good defense (trump lead) and down one on reasonable defense (West switches to a trump after cashing a pointed ace). It's reasonable not to double if you are poor defenders, but not otherwise.

#9 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-30, 22:00

I think X is just fine. North is going to have some club strength for his bidding, so partner has some good pointy-suit cards, not just a bunch of club honors, and you should beat 3H easily, maybe for +500 and a big IMP score.

Partner defended very badly. Sorry, but a trump lead is blitheringly obvious. You are marked with diamonds, some H strength, and maybe a spade card, with very short clubs. Dummy has a club stack, probably three-card heart support, and shortness in one or both pointys. So with the Ad and As, and your being marked with some cards in those suits, a trump lead stands out for two reasons:

* It will cut down on dummy's ruffing power in spades and diamonds
* It is safe. It gives declarer nothing he can't do for himself. Leading the As or Ad may well kick a trick. Leading the Ac would normally be a decent move after partner doubles, but not here, because partner isn't the only one with 0-1 clubs. Declarer is very short also. So you will just set up dummy's honors and gain nothing.

Then again, if you KNOW your partner is that bad a defender, maybe it is your fault for doubling :)

Cheers,
Mike

#10 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-01, 11:07

I used to be less bloodthirsty on deals where it's clear we are in tons of trouble and then all of a sudden opponents take us off the hook. I used to just pass with relief and collect my undertricks in their stupid contract, but I must've thrown away so many imps/MPs by not doubling

Unlucky on this one though hahahaha :lol:
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users