BBO Discussion Forums: How to bid a hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

How to bid a hand

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-September-26, 05:15

Hi

Quick question on how to bid a hand and ensure your partner gives you a response.

I recently had a 5C 5D 3H 0S with 18 HCP and 21 total points. Not quite strong enough for two clubs although I considered it. It also didn't seem right for 2NT bid. I wanted my partner's best minor or H if robot had 5. Rather than risking being left in 1C or 2NT I was struggling for a bid. I know there is a special 4NT minors response bid and opened that but unfortunately was left in that and not transferred to 5C or 5D both of which are there. 3NT is also there but not obvious but I did make 4NT-1. Only one hand bid 3NT game. Everyone else bid minor part scores and made 5 Clubs

I know I like to push things a bit. How would you bid that to ensure you weren't left short of a shot at game.

Thanks P

#2 User is offline   DozyDom 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-September-26, 05:35

Open 1D. It's not going to be passed out unless if you're making game. If partner passes they have at most a 5-count - do you really want to play in 3NT opposite a 5-count? Do you want to try making 11 tricks in a minor if partner has a five count? I can't see the hand, but it's unlikely.

You're highly unlikely to be passed out when you hold a void spade, anyway. I'd wager it's more likely that ops reach 4!S before your next turn to bid than the hand is passed out.

#3 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-September-26, 05:36

A 553 hand may be shapely, but with 18HCPs you can only open it at the one level. The way to show it is by bidding your higher-ranking 5 card suit, and then jump-shifting/high reversing at the three level. For example:-

1 - 1 - 3, etc. This tells your partner that you have 18+ HCPs, that your diamonds are longer or as long as you club suit, and that you want to be in game. The only downside with this particular auction is that partner has bid your void, so your hand might now need some devaluing, so many players might prefer

1 - 1 - 2 where by agreement 2 is forcing. And it does depend on what system you are playing, too. [I am unsure whether this is forcing with the robots as I don't use them]

The forum contributors had a long discussion about a similar hand with 463 recently. and that can be found at

https://www.bridgeba...istance-please/

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-26, 05:57

Also the hand may play well in hearts if partner has 5 or more, it's an automatic 1. Don't worry too much about hands with no spades being passed out, worry more about the auction being at 4 next time you come to bid.

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-26, 06:12

View PostThe_Badger, on 2018-September-26, 05:36, said:

A 553 hand may be shapely, but with 18HCPs you can only open it at the one level. The way to show it is by bidding your higher-ranking 5 card suit, and then jump-shifting/high reversing at the three level. For example:-

1 - 1 - 3, etc. This tells your partner that you have 18+ HCPs, that your diamonds are longer or as long as you club suit, and that you want to be in game. The only downside with this particular auction is that partner has bid your void, so your hand might now need some devaluing, so many players might prefer

1 - 1 - 2 where by agreement 2 is forcing. And it does depend on what system you are playing, too. [I am unsure whether this is forcing with the robots as I don't use them]

I would be surprised if 1 - 1 - 2 is forcing in any Novice and Beginner system or to the robots either.
I still think it is the right bid here, though.
You're right at the upper limit of this bid and you seem unlikely to miss game if partner passes - he obviously has clubs and is right at his own lower limit.
If he rebids 2NT then you raise to game, if he rebids Fourth Suit Forcing then 4 will give him the picture nicely, if he rebids 2 then you have a difficult decision to make but at least you can base it on accurate information.

#6 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-September-26, 10:08

Unless a hand qualifies for a strong 2 opener, just open it naturally and don't worry about it being passed out. Especially when you open a minor, chances of it being passed out are pretty small. If partner can't find enough to scrounge up a response, you probably don't have game anyhow.

So with a 0=3=5=5, your normal bid would be 1 .

#7 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-27, 01:55

Dear all

Thankyou all for your helpful replies. I tracked down my hand so people can see it and how GIB reesonded to different openings and interference by E and W

http://tinyurl.com/y7quvcbm

I think on a different day I may also have pushed 2C a little on this one. Its a bit short on tricks though for a distributional 2C

regards P

#8 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-27, 01:58

Dear all

Thankyou all for your helpful replies. I tracked down my hand so people can see it and how GIB reesonded to different openings and interference by E and W, and on reflectionn it is too light for what I tried. It passed 1C and 1D openings but E doubled giving S a chance to bid C again. N still passed but in a cometitive auction S pushed to 3C. The top hand was 3Cx, doubled by E. Everyone made 5

I think on a different day I may also have pushed 2C a little on this one. Its a bit short on tricks though for a distributional 2C

regards P

PS on another hand with similar query I had a 6C 6D 1H 0S hand with similar points and opened with a natural 1D but dont remember how it ended up

#9 User is offline   kanchi 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-September-27, 04:24

I simply open 1. D and jump to game based on p response either 3ntor 5 in Minot. No point in opening. 2c mostly if p has already passed

#10 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-September-27, 04:45

It is an interesting hand. 3 losers but not enough Quick Tricks to open 2C.
I do not think a human would pass 1D, but they would pass the 2C or 3C rebid. The KH is golden, had it been the KS, 5C would not have a prayer, even KC not enough. So open 1D and be grateful for a plus score!

#11 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-27, 05:29

I came to this thread late, so I'm looking at it having seen the four hands, so difficult to be objective.

This is an easy 1 opening.

I would respond 1 with the North hand (or 2 if playing with one of my partners who likes to WJS on 0-4 HCP).

South should probably then bid 2, down-grading a bit for the misfit, which will be the final contract. If South chooses instead to make a game forcing 3 bid then N/S will get too high (assuming north doesn't pass a "forcing" bid).

#12 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-October-05, 08:43

Dear all

Thanks very much for all your replies. I am starting to try to readjust the value of my hands as the bids change

cheers P

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users