What is P up to, part II bidding

#1 User is offline   ncohen 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-September-24, 13:35

IMPS

S (W) N E

1S 2H X* P * negative, at least initially
3S P 4H? What is 4H? What do you do as S? I remember stretching to bid 3S with something like AKJ9xx x A98x xx, but with perhaps a club card.

#2 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-September-24, 14:28

Could partner have Qx Axx KQxx AQxx (or a bit less) and feel thrilled by your (slightly stretched) jump rebid? And overcaller having H KQJ 6th + CK?
Or could he have a 3-cd fit in a rather flat hand? If X doesn’t deny a fit and cue-bid promises 4-cd support? He was planning to rebid 4S no matter what but is max (15-16) and expects a rich hand from your rebid?
Else I don’t see.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2018-September-24, 14:56

It's a slam try

What it shows depends on agreements. For example, what would 4m have meant? If it would be natural, and there is an argument that it could be, then 4H need not be a control, since he has no other try below 4S, and it may just be a hand too good to bid 4S and not good enough to force to the 5-level.

To me, 4m would agree spades. If we were slamming with a long minor, we bid 3m over 2H. If we were slamming with a minor 2 suiter, we suck it up and bid 3D (with longer or equal diamonds) and then bid clubs, or (depending on what happens, vice versa).

So if 4m would be a cuebid, 4H is also a cuebid. It leaves open the question of what it implies about his minors. He might well not want to risk 4M when he has hearts controlled, since you rate to be forced to bid 4S on most hands, lacking a control

These are murky waters for most players/pairs. I confess to not having an agreement in place in my partnerships. However, I'd assume a heart control, and slam interest, and would act accordingly.

Btw, with your given hand, I don't think I would bid 3S with AKJ9xx x Axxx xx, although it is close. I definitely would with Qx in clubs or better, and would bid 3H with Ax in clubs. In that latter case, I am intending to bid diamonds next, not spades.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-24, 18:15

Once again, please use the bidding diagrams.

For me this would show a slam try in spades. It seems partner must have a minor suit control in order to make a slam try if we only have a minimum on HCPs for our 3S - likely partner is just playing it safe, unsure as to whether we would take 4m as natural or control-showing. I'd be keen to bid on with my good controls and shape, but need to emphasise the lack of club control, so 5D.

ahydra

#5 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-September-24, 19:39

View Postncohen, on 2018-September-24, 13:35, said:

IMPS

S (W) N E

1S 2H X* P * negative, at least initially
3S P 4H? What is 4H? What do you do as S? I remember stretching to bid 3S with something like AKJ9xx x A98x xx, but with perhaps a club card.

So here, partner has both minors or has one minor with a big hand. Since they are forcing the auction to the 3 level, they should have a good 10+. 2s would have been forcing, since your partner showed values, so I wouldn't have stretched, 3s was game forcing and you're not ready to play game opposite a 10 count and no spade fit. At IMPs, though, I understand why you did it. 4h should be a slam try in spades, or they really hate spades and insist you bid a minor. The latter reason is why I wouldn't have jumped, my partners always have this kind of hand and I end up playing 5 of a minor going down 1. Your bid is 5d.

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2018-September-24, 20:16

View PostHardVector, on 2018-September-24, 19:39, said:

So here, partner has both minors or has one minor with a big hand. Since they are forcing the auction to the 3 level, they should have a good 10+. 2s would have been forcing, since your partner showed values, so I wouldn't have stretched, 3s was game forcing and you're not ready to play game opposite a 10 count and no spade fit. At IMPs, though, I understand why you did it. 4h should be a slam try in spades, or they really hate spades and insist you bid a minor. The latter reason is why I wouldn't have jumped, my partners always have this kind of hand and I end up playing 5 of a minor going down 1. Your bid is 5d.

Partner would bid 3m with a good hand and a long minor, so you are mistaken in considering that as an option. 2S is not forcing in any method known to me, and I know a lot of them.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users