What is partner up to part I bidding

#1 User is offline   ncohen 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-September-24, 13:29

You S hold:

AKJ10 xx 1098x AQJx. Imps. The auction:

S W N E
1N* 2H** 2S*** P * 15-17 ** Alerted as transfer to S. *** undiscussed. What is 4S?
3N P 4S???

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2018-September-24, 13:58

View Postncohen, on 2018-September-24, 13:29, said:

You S hold:

S W N E
1N* 2H** 2S*** P * 15-17 ** Alerted as transfer to S. *** undiscussed. What is 4S?
3N P 4S???

I don't much care what he is up to. If I am in a mood to fool around, I bid 7N and redouble if needed. After all, when I have 14 cards, I may well have 13 winners

Otherwise I call the TD and ashamedly admit to not having noticed I have 14 cards until now.

Btw, no matter which small card you remove, presumably not a heart, I don't care what he thinks 4N is. I have the world's easiest 4N bid....regressive, natural. So they run hearts on me. Tant pis.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-September-24, 18:10

Please use the bidding diagrams

I removed a diamond, since we seem to have 14 cards.

If I had to guess, partner has a good hand, probably with both minors. I'll try 5C (or 5D if it turns out that I removed the wrong 14th card).

ahydra

#4 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-September-24, 19:22

View Postncohen, on 2018-September-24, 13:29, said:

You S hold:

S W N E
3N P 4S???

This is why you discuss this kind of stuff. As a general rule, when the opponents make a transfer type of bid and I complete it for them, it's takeout for that suit. With this understanding, your 3n should show good spades, and his 4s should show the minors with slam interest and a probable void in spades.

Since you didn't discuss this, though, I'd tend to assume that partner has spades and your opponents made an error, or psyched. I'd pass, and if we got a horrible result, immediately discuss what to do in these kind of situations.

BTW, there is a general rule, "Don't make up understandings at the table". What that means, is don't do confusing things unless you've discussed it beforehand.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users