Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Players Information A more effective use of Data

#1 User is offline   NTBridge2 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-September-23, 07:23

1)The level of players (Novice, Intermediate,Expert, World Class) would be best replaced by the automatic IMP points of player ...rather than the self proclaim method.
2)The software should avoid joining partners that plays a different method/convention
3)There should be an ease to join tables..specially that you are queueing up for. When watching a game where a sit is available, pressing on the "sit" does not let you in...the player is selected from somewhere else, and you cannot join that table
4) There could be a facility where you can join a partner that is already playing on a table, rather than having to leave the table and starting again
5 There needs to be a better explanation on the number that is displayed by aplayer's name. I understand from a player that number could show his level in tournaments. No one is sure for real

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-September-23, 12:21

5) the number means.... My link
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-September-23, 21:49

1) points of player are not necessarily any more relevant. The worst player I have ever seen in BBO tournaments has a very high number and I don't know how? If you can't trust your potential partner's self-assessment rating, next thing you will be saying is there is no Santa Claus. :unsure:
2) BBO says methods are included in the compatibility rating of players.
3) Some tables don't just take anyone. You need permission to join. Of course more than one person can try to join at same time as you do, so you may not get the chair.
4) This is a good idea, congrats! One way to avoid problem is to set table as requiring permission to join. But still a good idea.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-September-24, 09:13

View Poststeve2005, on 2018-September-23, 21:49, said:

2) BBO says methods are included in the compatibility rating of players.

No, they aren't.

When we were creating the compatibility rating I suggested this and coded it, but we didn't use it.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-September-24, 09:15

View PostNTBridge2, on 2018-September-23, 07:23, said:

1)The level of players (Novice, Intermediate,Expert, World Class) would be best replaced by the automatic IMP points of player ...rather than the self proclaim method.

There have been dozens, maybe even hundreds, of past threads discussing the merits of self-ratings. We have no plans to change this.

#6 User is offline   Aspire999 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-October-19, 05:13

To add on the same topic some more suggestions-

1. There should be a search facility where I can see players following a particular System -say e.g Precision-, and whether he is online. I am very keen on playing with a partner who uses precision but finding that from the tables list is very cumbersome(clicking on each player to see his profile) and by the time you may find him the seat is gone.

2. When on the profile instead of the system details only compatibility stars appear it is very confusing. Inspite o9f asking ( on bbo help ) I am still not clear what it means.

3. Facility of searching by country.

I feel all these will your great software still better

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-October-19, 08:19

View PostAspire999, on 2018-October-19, 05:13, said:

2. When on the profile instead of the system details only compatibility stars appear it is very confusing. Inspite o9f asking ( on bbo help ) I am still not clear what it means.

If you're not seeing system details, it means they didn't bother filling it in.

That text field was never really intended to hold system details, it's just called "Other". People can put anything they want in there, and it has become common to put system summary, but it's not required.

Compatibility stars looks for how many things you and the other player have in common, such as country and similar number of BBO points. It doesn't compare system information, since we don't have a standard way to write systems.

#8 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-November-04, 12:53

View PostAspire999, on 2018-October-19, 05:13, said:

3. Facility of searching by country.
Even more important, how about a Language(s) field that can be searched? It could also be used to order the substitutes list by matching the remaining partner's language(s), and the Partnership list compatibility.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users