Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Psyches in Free Tournaments

#1 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-September-17, 15:11

Are psyches currently allowed in free tournaments on BBO?
More in general, where/how can one read the rules?
I'm thinking in particular about the automatic TCRn0 tournaments and Goulash Madness.

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-September-17, 16:09

View Postpescetom, on 2018-September-17, 15:11, said:

Are psyches currently allowed in free tournaments on BBO?
More in general, where/how can one read the rules?
I'm thinking in particular about the automatic TCRn0 tournaments and Goulash Madness.

Rules and regs are at the discretion of the host.

I'm not aware of mechanisms on BBO to provide lengthly descriptions there of
Your best best is to talk to the director and see if he has something written up.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-September-18, 01:10

Check the description before entering a tournament. A lot of them will say psyche is not allowed. And even if not, the TD will often say it to everyone in the tournament around when the tournament starts. In either case, it's not allowed. I'm not sure if I've seen a free goulash that had neither.

As for the TDless tournies, everything is allowed since there's no one to stop you. Worse that can happen is you make a few enemies I guess, but even that is unlikely.

#4 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2018-September-18, 01:18

Some free tournaments on BBO allow psyches while others expressly forbid them. As was previously mentioned whether they are permitted
is at the behest of the host Check the tournament info which is displayed before the tournament starts. If,during the tournament,you experience a psyche or suspect one has been used against you,call the TD.BBO tournaments embrace the Laws of Duplicate Bridge and I would ask the poster to reference Law 40 which covers psychic bids and plays.Pysches are part and parcel of the game as long as there is no concealed agreement between the partners.

"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-September-18, 07:22

Thanks all for the replies.

View PostAyunuS, on 2018-September-18, 01:10, said:

Check the description before entering a tournament. A lot of them will say psyche is not allowed. And even if not, the TD will often say it to everyone in the tournament around when the tournament starts. In either case, it's not allowed. I'm not sure if I've seen a free goulash that had neither.

I don't remember any message before or at the start of the Goulash tournament saying that psyches are not allowed. So if there are no written rules and no BBO standard exists I guess that psyches are allowed then.
When an opponent bid with a singleton to stop us finding our 5-5 fit, I called the TD to ask but she did not comment or take any visible action.
I appreciate that if it was allowed she probably had more pressing things to do than give explanations.

View PostAyunuS, on 2018-September-18, 01:10, said:

As for the TDless tournies, everything is allowed since there's no one to stop you. Worse that can happen is you make a few enemies I guess, but even that is unlikely.

I don't think that is completely the case. There is a rule here that both players agree to play 2/1, which unfortunately is not enforced. But I have flagged episodes where partner plays to lose (e.g. jump to 7NT to spite partner), or opponent plays consistently slowly aiming for an unassigned score, and BBO usually confirmed that they had taken action against these offenders. But again I don't see it written that you cannot pysche.

Of course there is also a theoretical issue about whether it is technically possible to psyche in instant tournaments - a psyche has to violate an agreement, and two complete strangers thrown together by a computer can hardly have a firm agreement. But if a player who intentionally bids a singleton can't prove he was at least following a convention documented in his own profile then it seems pretty clear that he psyched.

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-September-18, 08:14

A pick up, online ghoulash really isn't "bridge"

My advice:

If this bothers you, don't play
If it doesn't play

But I wouldn't spend much energy trying to understand things OR striving for change
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-September-18, 09:19

Doesn't bother me either way they decide, I just dislike not knowing rules and thus how to play effectively.
It might be useful if Tournaments were obliged to state one or the other (Psyches allowed, Psyches forbidden).
Thanks all for the information.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users