BBO Discussion Forums: Jump to 4 after 1 or 2 N - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jump to 4 after 1 or 2 N

#21 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-September-13, 12:58

View Postnekthen, on 2018-September-12, 07:52, said:

My partner and I are experimenting with all immediate jumps to 4 being RKCB in the suit bid, after an opening 1N or 2N and after a 1N or 2N rebid. Has anyone else done this?
It appears to make it easy to check controls and find a key Q, which is especially useful when choosing between playing in a suit or NT and choosing between 6 or 7.
It has always seemed to me that transfers make the leap to 4 as a sign off redundant

example

Less than half the field bid 7, and I bet those who did were not 100% certain it was cold

Sir we have tried and used a method .We ask no.of controls by a bid of 4C and in the given hand the response would be 5C(7 controls)We then use the SPIRAL (a bid of 5H in this hand as we have the SQ with us) to find out the specific Queen/queens.We thus would easily find out the opener has Queens of D and C..Then it is clear that 5 club tricks,3diamonds 2 hearts and 3 spades are available and 7NT is the final bid.

#22 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-13, 13:41

View Postmsjennifer, on 2018-September-13, 12:58, said:

Sir we have tried and used a method .We ask no.of controls by a bid of 4C and in the given hand the response would be 5C(7 controls)We then use the SPIRAL (a bid of 5H in this hand as we have the SQ with us) to find out the specific Queen/queens.We thus would easily find out the opener has Queens of D and C..Then it is clear that 5 club tricks,3diamonds 2 hearts and 3 spades are available and 7NT is the final bid.

It strikes me as overkill in this case, but expert methods are always interesting.
After the 5C control reply, how does the fact that you have SQ make Spiral start in 5H (what would 5D/5S/5N mean) ?
And how exactly does the sequence go to reveal Queens of D and C?
Thanks.

#23 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-13, 14:52

View Postpescetom, on 2018-September-13, 13:41, said:

It strikes me as overkill in this case, but expert methods are always interesting.
After the 5C control reply, how does the fact that you have SQ make Spiral start in 5H (what would 5D/5S/5N mean) ?
And how exactly does the sequence go to reveal Queens of D and C?
Thanks.

Sir,you have asked some nice questions. and here are the clarifications.After 5C If we did not possess SQ then we bid 5D.Since we have it already we would like to find out if he has the HQ and so we bid 5H.SInce he does not have it his reply is 5S.Now we want to find out DQ so we bid 5NT the next step. .Without DQ he bids 6C.With only the DQ he bids 6D and with CQ also he bids 6H which denies holding the SJ.( Which is the next important card in the Spiral.).And please excuse Sir, I am not an expert.A bid of 5S over his 5C would ask him about DQ.And a bid of 5NT over his 5C would ask him about CQ.
Sir,if you wish to know more details ,then I request you to see the article "ROSENKRANZ THE SPIRAL SCAN"which is available on the Google search.

'

#24 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-September-13, 15:19

So if I understood rightly the Spiral (unless we skip steps to indicate otherwise) always starts from Spades downwards and continues through Queens to Jacks. Makes sense, thanks.

#25 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2018-September-13, 15:34

View Postmsjennifer, on 2018-September-13, 14:52, said:

Sir,you have asked some nice questions. and here are the clarifications.After 5C If we did not possess SQ then we bid 5D.Since we have it already we would like to find out if he has the HQ and so we bid 5H.SInce he does not have it his reply is 5S.Now we want to find out DQ so we bid 5NT the next step. .Without DQ he bids 6C.With only the DQ he bids 6D and with CQ also he bids 6H which denies holding the SJ.( Which is the next important card in the Spiral.).And please excuse Sir, I am not an expert.A bid of 5S over his 5C would ask him about DQ.And a bid of 5NT over his 5C would ask him about CQ.

Spiral scans, and bids that ask for controls, can be very useful. I have played a complex relay method over a strong 1N opening (and a different relay method over 2N), and (subject to memory load) the results are amazing. Once we diagnosed that we had zero play (not even a squeeze) for 13 tricks with 21 opposite 16, to win a slam swing when the other team failed in the grand, and once we lost a slam swing to Hamman-Wolff in a Bermuda Bowl when we reached a grand that failed when trump broke 4-0.

However, the notion of asking for controls starting at the 4-level and then asking about honours in suits starting beyond that leaves me very unimpressed.

For accurate slam bidding, one needs either overwhelming strength (or a very long suit) or detailed information about shape, fit, etc. Control information is never enough. When the spiral is about Queens, it is absurd, unless one has a combined 12 controls, since one really needs to know about Aces and Kings! Not merely how many but, often, which ones.

I'm all for players experimenting but there are already far better methods that the ones that we see here. The truth is that many players invent methods that work on the hands that prompted the idea, but in reality 99% of such methods are inferior, if not to what the player already used then to other methods that the player hasn't found out about yet.

Here, using a bid of 4x over 1N or 2N as asking, no matter what it asks for, is not going to enhance one's game. Yes, you can demonstrate hands where it works wonderfully, but that is only a minor part of evaluating any convention. Are there hands that one can no longer bid as well, because of the use to which we put the bids now? Yes....texas, or SA Texas, or other meanings definitely are useful on some hands.

DO we gain? Or are there other methods that allow us the same information yet don't create the problems? Yes.

Do the hands that we can now bid very easily come up very often? Here, absolutely NO.

And so on.

Oftentimes somebody's bright idea really is just a solution in search of a problem....there are lots of very good methods over 1N and 2N that allow for accurate bidding. The fact that the OP doesn't know them doesn't make his solution good.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#26 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-September-13, 22:21

The fun in bridge is you can invent new conventions and it worked this time.

To find out if a convention is working you have to keep track of the results and if you gain more than you loose keep it.

Holding combined 36 HCP is very rare and giving up 4 level for this looks like a wasted convention.

A top pair had a rule for a new convention : If it only happened once in the first year we scrap it.

If you want to play a simple system I find your convention better than just Gerber.

#27 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-14, 04:18

View Postpescetom, on 2018-September-13, 15:19, said:

So if I understood rightly the Spiral (unless we skip steps to indicate otherwise) always starts from Spades downwards and continues through Queens to Jacks. Makes sense, thanks.

SIR,thats quite right and you have got it absolutely right.And Sir,kindly see the article available on google search titled "ROSENKRANZ THE SPIRAL SCAN" for more details.

#28 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-14, 05:47

View Postnekthen, on 2018-September-12, 07:52, said:

<snip>
It has always seemed to me that transfers make the leap to 4 as a sign off redundant
<snip>

This seq. also includes hands, that plan to Keycard with this suit as trumps,
freeing the seq. xfer, followed by 4NT to show a quant. invite with a 5 card
major suit.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#29 User is offline   igt3 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-September-14, 07:44

How often do you have a hand that just needs to know the KC?

#30 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-September-14, 09:25

View Postigt3, on 2018-September-14, 07:44, said:

How often do you have a hand that just needs to know the KC?

It does happen. But Texas followed by 4NT takes care of that, at least for the majors.
And some Kickback gadget will do for the minors.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users