BBO Discussion Forums: Opening 5-card major with 9HCP and 11-12 Total points - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Opening 5-card major with 9HCP and 11-12 Total points

#1 User is online   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-September-11, 19:48

Hi

Sadly I have lost the hand but cant show it. I am a returning bridge player, trying to relearn the game, and used to play 4 card majors in ACOL. Now I'm learning 2/1 5-card majors. Recently I was playing IMPs. We were not vulnerable but EW were vulnerable. I picked up what looked like a very nice but weak hand which was close to an opening 1S

S AQJ10x H Qxxx C x D xx

That only comes to 9 HCP and 12 Total points. My rather aggressive/preemptive side came out and I bid 1S which ended up ok. I was hoping to end up in a max of 2S but the robot pushed to 4S. We only went down 1 trick worth only 0.2 IMPs against us so not a bad result, but risky.

What I would like to ask people, especially 2/1 players is if you regard my opening bid as acceptable. In appropriate situations I like to push point count on good weak hand even at the one level sinec the 1S is essentially a 1-level preempt

regards P

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-12, 00:03

The hand has only 12 cards. You may want to amend it :)

But generally, 2/1 is not particular suitable for light openings. If partner has to cater to a 9-count, he needs some 14-15 points to force to game so the range of the 1NT response now becomes 5-13(14) which is not manageable. The standard 5-11(12) range is already stretching it.

Some 2/1 players play Polish 2-opening which allows you to open 7-10 counts with two five-card suits at the 2-level. This reduces the temptation to open light at the 1-level. Another workaround is to switch to a strong club system, but then we are talking about a completely different system so that is probably not so relevant.

Otherwise, the cost of playing 2/1 is that you will have to pass with most 10-counts and some 11-counts. Of course, you can chose to open light anyway even if partner isn't supposed to cater to it. You will then end up in some very thin games when partner has a misfitting 12/13 count, but maybe you will find that the benefits of light openings compensate for it. In that case you would probably be able to do better playing a different system, though.

Note that in 3rd/4th seat, the 2/1 system doesn't apply, and it is common to use 2 as a conventional response (Drury), showing 3-card support and asking opener if he has a "real" opening or not. So in 3rd/4th seat, you can certainly open light.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is online   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-12, 01:27

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-September-12, 00:03, said:

The hand has only 12 cards. You may want to amend it :)

But generally, 2/1 is not particular suitable for light openings. If partner has to cater to a 9-count, he needs some 14-15 points to force to game so the range of the 1NT response now becomes 5-13(14) which is not manageable. The standard 5-11(12) range is already stretching it.

Some 2/1 players play Polish 2-opening which allows you to open 7-10 counts with two five-card suits at the 2-level. This reduces the temptation to open light at the 1-level. Another workaround is to switch to a strong club system, but then we are talking about a completely different system so that is probably not so relevant.

Otherwise, the cost of playing 2/1 is that you will have to pass with most 10-counts and some 11-counts. Of course, you can chose to open light anyway even if partner isn't supposed to cater to it. You will then end up in some very thin games when partner has a misfitting 12/13 count, but maybe you will find that the benefits of light openings compensate for it. In that case you would probably be able to do better playing a different system, though.

Note that in 3rd/4th seat, the 2/1 system doesn't apply, and it is common to use 2 as a conventional response (Drury), showing 3-card support and asking opener if he has a "real" opening or not. So in 3rd/4th seat, you can certainly open light.

Hi Helene

Thanks for the advice. As I said I couldn't remember the hand. Maybe it was two doubletons or 3 and 1 so it actually only had 11 total points

Maybe I need to learn to count to 13 before progressing any further in bridge. Maybe it explains why I am often going down 1 on a forgotten trump :)

Best P

#4 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-September-12, 06:15

I'm sure you would have got some 'feedback' from partners at an Acol-based bridge club opening this hand in 1st or 2nd seat, and the same applies to 2/1. It is always better to be consistent and disciplined than aggressive. The hand does come out at a tad over 11 total points - my calculation - but total points shouldn't be a consideration where an opening bid is made with a standard 5422 or 5431 shape. It's difficult to put the brakes on when partner has made a game forcing response in 2/1, so as Helene rightly says, many 10 or even 11 point hands are not suitable for an opening bid in 2/1 so opening with a 9 count is a definite no-no except if a find a partner who is tolerant of your aggression.

At least GIB doesn't leave 'feedback' :)

#5 User is online   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-13, 21:36

View PostThe_Badger, on 2018-September-12, 06:15, said:

I'm sure you would have got some 'feedback' from partners at an Acol-based bridge club opening this hand in 1st or 2nd seat, and the same applies to 2/1. It is always better to be consistent and disciplined than aggressive. The hand does come out at a tad over 11 total points - my calculation - but total points shouldn't be a consideration where an opening bid is made with a standard 5422 or 5431 shape. It's difficult to put the brakes on when partner has made a game forcing response in 2/1, so as Helene rightly says, many 10 or even 11 point hands are not suitable for an opening bid in 2/1 so opening with a 9 count is a definite no-no except if a find a partner who is tolerant of your aggression.

At least GIB doesn't leave 'feedback' :)

Thankyou. Yes, its good not having to worry about GIB feedback although occasionally I have managed to project my embarrassment for a bad bid onto the robot and been convinced it was playing with some irritation :)

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users