BBO Discussion Forums: Question about a hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Question about a hand

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-September-11, 18:44

Dear all

Not sure which is the best forum to ask this in. I was playing robot duplicate and on one hand GIB doubled me into a bottom. 4S was the correct contract by EW and I had no way to escape from the double. I wasn't sure what type of double it was at the 4 level and why. The only difference between my bidding and other players was that I bid 1NT on the first round rather than show my hearts, which is what I thought o f doing. This seemingly affected the robot's decision. Was my 1NT an incorrect bid. It fits convention quite well, gives a point count but no indication that we can bring down a long spade suit

http://tinyurl.com/yd4nq9dj

Any tips or discussion welcome.

P

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-11, 20:32

Will be interested to see what experts think about overcalling 1NT with a 5 card major - I've wondered about this topic in the past, and can't find a single forum thread here or Bridgewinners that seems to discuss the merits.

Personally in this case I wouldn't bid 1NT with just Ax - you're going to miss out on finding any heart fit, and if you happen to reach 3NT, you're either going to need 9 top tricks or partner to have decent spades to avoid going down immediately. With Axx instead, so you can duck twice, I'd be more tempted.

As for GIB's double - never read too much into what GIB does, especially when it comes to doubles. If you lead A and another spade, it does seem like declarer is quite lucky to make 4 though. Perhaps next time, you'd get a top instead.

#3 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-12, 04:36

Don't do it (overcalling 1NT with a 5-card major) without a double stop. Also, don't do it with slow tricks - say you switch your black suits, and partner turns up with a very helpful xxx Qxx Kxx Kxxx, you are still obviously down one in 3N, as you would need to develop both hearts and diamonds to get to your 9 tricks.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#4 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-September-12, 05:47

The hand you gave Ax KJxxx Qxxx AQ looks like poor 1NT opening hand, let alone an overcalling 1NT hand. No intermediates, and its a standard 1-2 rebid opener for me. It's unsuitable for 2 overcall in my opinion as the suit is so anaemic. The only option is to make an off-shaped takeout double. What you lack in shape you slightly compensate with strength. It keeps the bidding low. It is not ideal. The only other option available is to pass, and hope partner can reopen given that the opponents have bid the anchor suit, s, and in many cases will outbid you anyway. That is also not ideal. A difficult hand generally, and the robot just made it ten times worse by doubling the final contract.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users