BBO Discussion Forums: Problem defining my level and getting a game - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Problem defining my level and getting a game

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-September-07, 22:39

Hi all

I am having problems defining my level. I have played for many years but only restarted recently learning new system. I would generally define myself as beginner-intermediate based on my experience and knowledge of bidding and play. Howwever my play is a bit rusty so I have defined myself as beginner. There are very few beginner tables and when I start a table it is hard to get players. I have also watched many games and seemingly many people who define themselves as intermediate can be quite ordinary at bidding and play. How people define their level doesnt seem to match play necessarily. I dont want to overestimate my level but dont want to underestimate it either and miss out on games. It also seems quite hard to get to truly relaxed and casual games, even in the relaxed bridge club. People there take it seriously. I'm assuming scores in the relaxed club don't affect rankings. But some of the players take it aa bi too seriously when bids or play go wrong. So where can quite an experienced beginner-intermediate get a good relaxing game

thanks Possum

#2 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-September-07, 23:19

The safest way is to write "PRIVATE" in your Profile under the "level" column.

'

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-07, 23:53

hi

thankyou

regards P

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-September-08, 01:38

View Postthepossum, on 2018-September-07, 22:39, said:

Hi all

I am having problems defining my level. I have played for many years but only restarted recently learning new system. I would generally define myself as beginner-intermediate based on my experience and knowledge of bidding and play. Howwever my play is a bit rusty so I have defined myself as beginner. There are very few beginner tables and when I start a table it is hard to get players. I have also watched many games and seemingly many people who define themselves as intermediate can be quite ordinary at bidding and play. How people define their level doesnt seem to match play necessarily. I dont want to overestimate my level but dont want to underestimate it either and miss out on games. It also seems quite hard to get to truly relaxed and casual games, even in the relaxed bridge club. People there take it seriously. I'm assuming scores in the relaxed club don't affect rankings. But some of the players take it aa bi too seriously when bids or play go wrong. So where can quite an experienced beginner-intermediate get a good relaxing game

thanks Possum

Beginner is fine for start, you can always upgrade to Intermediate once you're getting more familiar with what goes around on BBO and get back in shape. I disagree with Private as being "safest". People want to know what to expect and you don't seem to have a problem sharing your level -- so do that, it helps.

Relaxed is the place for relaxed games, but yes most people take the game seriously. Other relaxed clubs to play in are the Beginner Intermediate Lounge and the Refugees WP

#5 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2018-September-08, 02:33

"2/1 Strong NT or Acol weak NT. Can do SAYC. Fairly standard extras, stayman, rckb, Gerber, weak 2s, strong 2c. Prefer to bid my cards when the system doesnt provide an option, rather than..."

Your hardly a 'beginner' if you have played for many years, and if you can do all that as listed above in your profile you are certainly intermediate level. It might be better to put a name in your profile too, even just a first name. I might be a bit of a wild animal myself, and lots of people call me 'Badger' but I am 'Dave' to many others :)

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-08, 07:02

View Postmsjennifer, on 2018-September-07, 23:19, said:

The safest way is to write "PRIVATE" in your Profile under the "level" column.

Safe from what?
Not finding a relaxed game?
I don't think it will help in finding a game and it certainly irritates many partners.

#7 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-08, 21:14

View Postdiana_eva, on 2018-September-08, 01:38, said:

Beginner is fine for start, you can always upgrade to Intermediate once you're getting more familiar with what goes around on BBO and get back in shape. I disagree with Private as being "safest". People want to know what to expect and you don't seem to have a problem sharing your level -- so do that, it helps.

Relaxed is the place for relaxed games, but yes most people take the game seriously. Other relaxed clubs to play in are the Beginner Intermediate Lounge and the Refugees WP

Hi thanks

Yes, will stick to beginner for a while. My play is still rusty and I still have the occasional big losing hand. Getting better though. But I will stick to beginner until my card lay is improved

regards Possum

#8 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-08, 21:18

View PostThe_Badger, on 2018-September-08, 02:33, said:

"2/1 Strong NT or Acol weak NT. Can do SAYC. Fairly standard extras, stayman, rckb, Gerber, weak 2s, strong 2c. Prefer to bid my cards when the system doesnt provide an option, rather than..."

Your hardly a 'beginner' if you have played for many years, and if you can do all that as listed above in your profile you are certainly intermediate level. It might be better to put a name in your profile too, even just a first name. I might be a bit of a wild animal myself, and lots of people call me 'Badger' but I am 'Dave' to many others :)

I'm still struggling to get my brain back into gear. So even though I can bid reasonably well most of the time, my card play needs to improve, and I used to bid more natural systems compared to all the addons to systems that many people play. I will keep myself as Beginner for a while sine I've seen some quite good beginners

I will probably put my first name in my profile if its better. I dont really want people to know my full name, well until I know people better

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users