BBO Discussion Forums: some input required on a couple of system issues - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

some input required on a couple of system issues

#1 User is offline   bilalz 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-September-06, 01:50

Two areas of our system need some improvement so I hope for some feedback. Sorry if it is hard to keep track of the questions as they are basically everywhere (I will mark them with '??'). You can assume 5 card major openings and 2/1 in your comments.

1. Handling competition (2 part issue in itself):
Part 1: What are your experiences with using new suit non-forcing by the responder. I have recently started using this technique after being an avid fan of a new suit always being forcing for as long as I have played. I do think non-forcing but constructive is better but I write here so that you could make me aware of any pitfalls and potential solutions'??'. One pitfall I could imagine is to have a game forcing hand with a 6 card or equivalent very good suit and now we are not able to show it at level 2 and the associated later problems with finding the right level of contract. We play that any level 2 bid by responder after interference is a limit bid (5 card suit and 8 to 11 hcps, upgrade/downgrade in hcps per logic, please comment on the requirements for suit quality if your experience has given you some insights'??').

Part 2: Showing fits in major after opps interfere. Here basically I want the whole structure with some examples (appreciate your time as always). At the moment I play the vanilla version with a bit of a pre-emptive nature added to the bid after opps interfere so a 4 card support that might have warranted a simple raise is now a preemptive jump to a level more. Your thoughts on simple raises when in competition '??'
In competition, for me 2nt is still Jacoby showing game forcing values. Some people use 2nt Jacoby (without competition) to show all invitational plus hands with the possibility to sign off in 3M. I am a fan of the 2nt being strictly game forcing but please give comments on this as well even though it is a bit off topic (no competition from opps) '??'
Back to topic. I see people using 2nt as limit raise to 3 level after competition, your thoughts on this and the full structure with some examples please '??' Your thoughts on using splinters after interference '??'

2. A good structure for finding minor slams(even games) after 1m-2m GF forcing auction:
I am a fan of the 1m-2m GF forcing bid as it sets trumps at a low level and leaves a lot of room to explore slam possibilities or games where 3nt is not good. I would like to know if someone has a good structure to shows balanced or unbalanced hands (on both sides) now and find the right contract'??'. Some examples will be appreciated'??'. So far we have been winging it as it comes though based on the hands we have and logic often leads us to the right contract but I feel that there is a chance to miss good contracts if we do not decide a structure for this.

Thank you all in advance.

#2 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-September-07, 14:46

View Postbilalz, on 2018-September-06, 01:50, said:

Two areas of our system need some improvement so I hope for some feedback. Sorry if it is hard to keep track of the questions as they are basically everywhere (I will mark them with '??'). You can assume 5 card major openings and 2/1 in your comments.

1. Handling competition (2 part issue in itself):
Part 1: What are your experiences with using new suit non-forcing by the responder. I have recently started using this technique after being an avid fan of a new suit always being forcing for as long as I have played. I do think non-forcing but constructive is better but I write here so that you could make me aware of any pitfalls and potential solutions'??'. One pitfall I could imagine is to have a game forcing hand with a 6 card or equivalent very good suit and now we are not able to show it at level 2 and the associated later problems with finding the right level of contract. We play that any level 2 bid by responder after interference is a limit bid (5 card suit and 8 to 11 hcps, upgrade/downgrade in hcps per logic, please comment on the requirements for suit quality if your experience has given you some insights'??').

Part 2: Showing fits in major after opps interfere. Here basically I want the whole structure with some examples (appreciate your time as always). At the moment I play the vanilla version with a bit of a pre-emptive nature added to the bid after opps interfere so a 4 card support that might have warranted a simple raise is now a preemptive jump to a level more. Your thoughts on simple raises when in competition '??'
In competition, for me 2nt is still Jacoby showing game forcing values. Some people use 2nt Jacoby (without competition) to show all invitational plus hands with the possibility to sign off in 3M. I am a fan of the 2nt being strictly game forcing but please give comments on this as well even though it is a bit off topic (no competition from opps) '??'
Back to topic. I see people using 2nt as limit raise to 3 level after competition, your thoughts on this and the full structure with some examples please '??' Your thoughts on using splinters after interference '??'

2. A good structure for finding minor slams(even games) after 1m-2m GF forcing auction:
I am a fan of the 1m-2m GF forcing bid as it sets trumps at a low level and leaves a lot of room to explore slam possibilities or games where 3nt is not good. I would like to know if someone has a good structure to shows balanced or unbalanced hands (on both sides) now and find the right contract'??'. Some examples will be appreciated'??'. So far we have been winging it as it comes though based on the hands we have and logic often leads us to the right contract but I feel that there is a chance to miss good contracts if we do not decide a structure for this.

Thank you all in advance.

i do not want to pretend to offer god like (or even expert) opinions on these questions. In fact, I am interested in the invite+ raises in competition question and will forthwith start a new topic strictly about that (might I encourage you and others to favor multiple threads for multiple questions - you will get better answers and others will be better able to follow discussions that do not switch back and forth among several topics).
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#3 User is offline   bilalz 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-September-09, 03:02

View PostBillHiggin, on 2018-September-07, 14:46, said:

i do not want to pretend to offer god like (or even expert) opinions on these questions. In fact, I am interested in the invite+ raises in competition question and will forthwith start a new topic strictly about that (might I encourage you and others to favor multiple threads for multiple questions - you will get better answers and others will be better able to follow discussions that do not switch back and forth among several topics).

I get it. Was just hoping one of the experienced players would take the time out and give me their experience about these fairly common problems. Kind of hoping to glean some tips and tricks that only years of playing have taught them.
I have already started a thread for the 1m-2m GF bid which was my most pressing concern. Thanks for your thread, hope we get some more answers there.
I will start the 2-level bid after opps intervention as non-forcing thread in a little while.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users