Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Limit raises

#1 User is offline   rg14 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-September-01, 23:28

Do you need 4 card support to raise 1 heart or 1 spade to 3 level , showing 10-12 points ?
What do you respond with hands with 3 card support and 10-12 points?

#2 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-September-02, 00:40

View Postrg14, on 2018-September-01, 23:28, said:

Do you need 4 card support to raise 1 heart or 1 spade to 3 level , showing 10-12 points ?

It is difficult to answer this question without knowing what is your basic system? Four or five-card majors? 2-over-1 game forcing? Is a 1NT response to 1M forcing?

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-02, 00:40

Depends if you are playing 4 cd majors or 5 cd majors, and on agreements. Playing a 4 cd major system (Acol), you'd definitely want 4+.

Playing 5 cd majors, it depends; many require 4 for the immediate raise, putting 3 cd limit raises through a forcing or semi-forcing 1NT response. Some put distributional 3 cd raises directly to 3 with the flatter going through 1nt. Without a forcing NT (e.g. vanilla SAYC), some choose to limit raise with all 3 carders in range. Some fancy system innovators might use an 2/1 artificial support bid to show a limit raise (+ maybe other hand types) in a jurisdiction that allows this.

Playing old fashioned SA (as opposed to 2/1 GF), some 3 cd raises can go through a 2/1 followed by supporting the major.

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-02, 21:56

If playing 2/1 then 10-11 points is a forcing NT followed by a jump to 3. An average-or-better 12 should be treated as a GF, so 2x followed by supporting opener's suit. If you don't play 2/1 and like to have four cards for a direct jump (my preferred style), 3-card limit raises start with a natural 2/1 then jump to 3M.

ahydra

#5 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-September-03, 03:06

There are two views to be taken into consideration when giving raises in the major suit. (1)Constructive raises .(2) Preemptive raises. Personally,We play the constructive raises by using the LTC.So a single raise is given holding Nine losers with 3/4 card support.A 7 loser hand is presumed to be held by opener.HCP are not given importance.A double raise is given holding 8 losers and with 7 losers and no good 5 card suit a raise to the game is given.For a single raise xxx support is enough and for a double raise at least Qxx or xxxx is guaranteed support.Since this is a natural bidding forum I have not mentioned gadgets like BERGEN raises.I shall give only one frivolous example of preemptive raise playing Precision,an artificial system wherein 1H/S is a 11-15 opening.Partner opened 1S and I held Jxxxxx-VOID-Jxx-xxxx.When RHO passed I bid 4S knowing fully well that opponents are holding game zone hands.This hand has 8 losers but only 2 HCP. The result was shocking ! LHO doubled holding 20 HCP and hold your breath AKQ1086 of SPADES..RHO took it as a TOD and the rest is not worth describing.Partner had psyched.

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-September-03, 03:46

(I am going to assume that you are playing 5CM)

Back in the weird old days, the primary purpose of a limit raise was to inform partner that you had

1. A fit (3+ card support)
2. Enough high card strength to invite game

People typically used the auction 1M - 3M to show this hand type.

Over time, players came to appreciate that limit raised with 4+ card support often produced many more tricks that limit raises that only had three card support. As such, they started looking for ways to distinguish between the two types of hands.

In non competitive auctions, this normally meant playing a forcing NT over 1M openings which allowed you to play

1M - 3M as a limit raise with 4+ card support

1M - 1N
2x - 3M as a limit raise with 3 card support.
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2018-September-03, 06:07

If you are playing 5 card majors,then 3 card support will be sufficient provided you have the required pointage.
If the support is headed by an honour,then so much the better.
The presence of intermediate cards would also influence my decision.
Holding something like 10xx K10x AQ9 Q9xx opposite a
major suit opening and i would definitely be raising to the 3 level.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#8 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-03, 07:28

We can't offer concrete suggestions until you have answered Tramticket's questions, but to follow up Stephen Tu's excellent summary, I really think you should distinguish between 3 card support and 4 card support. That's normally a whole trick difference. Not only does it help opener decide on game, or slam investigations, but it is vital in knowing how to deal with any opposition interference.

Personally, I also think 10-12 is too wide a range for a bid at the 3-level (unless it can be resolved, in which case it is not wide enough), as opener has to make an immediate game decision. The difference between 10 and 12 could be a trick. All else being equal, I like to have these bids just a 2-point range.

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-03, 10:00

View PostPhilG007, on 2018-September-03, 06:07, said:

If you are playing 5 card majors,then 3 card support will be sufficient provided you have the required pointage.

This is not a mainstream approach. As others in this thread have noted, the usual method is to start with 1NT if it is forcing, or else 2/1, both followed by 3 of partner’s major
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-14, 05:59

The main question is, what do you mean by saying, your hand has 10-12 points.
The 9th trump is worth something, i.e. if you know you have a 9 card fit, you need less HCP
strength to make an invitational move. In short: If you count the 9th trump as 2 points
(or 1.5 points or ...), than stick with the 10-12 range, and you will be doing fine.
The benefit: You dont need to add. conventional methods.
Explicit showing the 9th trump is more important, if the partnership tries to investigate slams,
and / or if the partnership tries to decide between 3NT and 4M.
In the latter case: If you cant show the 9th trump, always stick with 4M.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-September-15, 15:44

After a 1 opener (whether 4 or 5-card), I like
  • 2 = ART. Opening values. Then a 2 rebid confirms a sound opener.
  • 2 = TRF. Wide range. 5+.
  • 2 = TRF. 8+ HCP. Good 3-card raise.
  • 2/3/4 = NAT Weak raises.
  • 2N + = ART 4+card raise.

#12 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-16, 19:42

View PostVampyr, on 2018-September-03, 10:00, said:

This is not a mainstream approach. As others in this thread have noted, the usual method is to start with 1NT if it is forcing, or else 2/1, both followed by 3 of partner's major

If partner agrees, I take a "semi-mainstream" approach: a limit raise is 4+ trumps or 3 trumps with a stiff. Other 3 limit card raises start with 1NT, whether forcing or semi-forcing.

#13 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-24, 20:14

If you are playing limit raises with 5 card major suit openings, then yes, you should have 4+. If you are playing 2/1, you can bid a forcing 1n then rebid 3M to show a 3 card raise. If you are playing a standard Am. kind of system, then you can bid a suit, then support partner by bidding 3M to show 3 card support and a side suit. This will occasionally require you to bid a 4 card minor at the 2 level, this is fine. Just don't bid 2h after a 1s opener with just 4, you should have 5 here.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users