BBO Discussion Forums: Choose your bid - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Choose your bid

Poll: Choose your bid (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Your bid

1. Pass (23 votes [62.16%])

Percentage of vote: 62.16%

2. Double (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

3. Four Spades (10 votes [27.03%])

Percentage of vote: 27.03%

4. 4NT (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Five Diamonds (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

6. Something else (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-August-20, 02:24

Matchpoints at the Club, you are dealt this South hand. You pass initially then it comes back to you. What do you bid?

If it makes any difference, you are playing Acol with four card majors, Weak NT and three Weak Twos.

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2018-August-20, 03:25

i choose 4S this surely has to show diamonds as well
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2018-August-20, 03:29

#4 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-20, 03:40

Pass. This is a stretch too far.

#5 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-20, 03:43

View Postdkham, on 2018-August-20, 02:24, said:

If it makes any difference, you are playing Acol with four card majors, Weak NT and three Weak Twos.

It makes more difference to know what opps play. Does 1 promise a four or five-card suit?

#6 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-20, 11:52

The opponent's opening bid of 1 promises at least four. The 4 bid is natural, could be weak or strong

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-20, 13:09

Would have kicked off with 2 and wouldn't have this problem. (and if I had to sort a club into my spades, I might)

#8 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2018-August-20, 13:13

Nobody is vulnerable and so -500 will be a disaster. Moreover, it will be relatively easy for them to double, and to lead trump, should partner not fit spades. And of course, if he has 3 spades and passes, not only did you perhaps have some defence, but you may be about to get tapped.

In addition, partner is 'still there', which means you do not have to make the final decision, at least not as yet.

Bidding 4S now is basically gambling that partner fits spades AND will otherwise pass out 4H, since 5D is simply too easy for them to defend after you show spades, and partner runs. Competent defenders routinely lead trump on these auctions since the bidding tells them that we rate to have no side suit source of tricks...in this case, it is 'possible' that clubs will be a pleasant surprise, but the suit is so weak that it is highly unlikely that we can establish them and run them.

So my advice is to pass.

Given that this is the I/A forum, I should add that sometimes partner won't bid over 4H even if he 'should'. However, making the decision ahead of partner is not the way to deal with that problem. Partner is never going to learn when he or she should bid in these situations if we're always taking charge before he or she has a chance.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-20, 13:30

If this gets passed out I expect to escape with 40% or so at worst and fight it out on other hands.

Surely I'm marked with short hearts meaning partner can likely make a better decision than I can, ie 4nt with both minors and a lot depends on whether my rho knows the difference between a 3 cue bid and the jump to 4. If they don't 4 is suicide most often.

Of course huddle and pass is verboten but I would allow a little extra time for the level of the leap.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2018-August-20, 13:54

View Postggwhiz, on 2018-August-20, 13:30, said:

If this gets passed out I expect to escape with 40% or so at worst and fight it out on other hands.

Surely I'm marked with short hearts meaning partner can likely make a better decision than I can, ie 4nt with both minors and a lot depends on whether my rho knows the difference between a 3 cue bid and the jump to 4. If they don't 4 is suicide most often.

Of course huddle and pass is verboten but I would allow a little extra time for the level of the leap.

I am not sure if you meant 'verboten' literally but, even if you didn't, some might (mis-)read it that way.

To be clear: taking one's time to decide what to bid here is not an infraction. You can take as much time as you need.

The problem isn't with you. It's with the effect of the huddle on partner's permissible actions.

You take 60 seconds and pass....there is no penalty, although the opps would have the right to ask that you and your partner agree that you did huddle before opener takes another call, and if you disagree then they can and probably should (at least in serious game) call the TD...not to punish you but to establish that a huddle took place.

Switch to your partner, after you huddled and passed. Now he 'knows' that you had a problem, and that you were thinking about taking a call. This means that if taking action by him, other than passing, appears possible but not absolutely clear, then he can expect a useful dummy....the odds that you have a good hand for him are enhanced by the fact that you were thinking of action yourself.

If his hand supports the idea of action, but not so clearly that 'everyone would do this' then there will be at least two and often several 'logical alternatives' amongst which he or his peers would choose. He cannot...he may not...choose from amongst those alternatives one that was made more attractive by 'knowing' that you were thinking of bidding. It doesn't matter whether he, personally, would 'always' choose the more aggressive, or the more passive, alternative. It matters only whether, in the view of the TD, there are logical alternatives that would be considered by players of comparable skill to your partner. If so, then your partner may not choose one made attractive by your huddle and, if he does, then he only gets to keep that result if it is bad for your side...otherwise it gets rolled back.

Note that this has nothing to do with the TD views of your honesty or partner's honesty. It is also why TDs are encouraged to poll (and in serious events invariably poll) other players, since most TDs are not very experienced players and should not be making the decision about what is or is not a logical alternative.

As an example, at the last ACBL Nationals I played in, in 2017, both my partner and I were polled several times about hands in the Spingold and the closing Swiss event (obviously on hands we had not played nor would play).

If you huddle and pass, partner is still there, but very tightly constrained and his hand better make any action he takes appear to be unaffected by the inference that you have values.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-August-20, 16:34

Pass. We have a mild fit, but no guarantee of a fit.

Partner has overcalled, not doubled as might be done with a "strong" overcall. You might pay if partner has one of those rare hands where a normal overcall bid was made with strong overcall values.

But normally, partner is making a normal overcall and they rate to have the majority of points. If responder is preempting then opener likely has a much better than average hand. Also, with a void, partner is marked with some length making a big fit less likely.

Of course, responder could be making a tactical bid rather than a pure preempt, in which case, you could be stepping into a hornet's nest.

#12 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-20, 17:34

there just isn't much here. It seems almost impossible that we might make anything so any decision we make now is essentially a sac. Hopefully P will be able to read us for short hearts and properly identify our weakness before deciding what to do over 4h.

#13 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-20, 20:55

View Postmikeh, on 2018-August-20, 13:54, said:

I am not sure if you meant 'verboten' literally but, even if you didn't, some might (mis-)read it that way.

To be clear: taking one's time to decide what to bid here is not an infraction. You can take as much time as you need.

All true and in the context of an I/A forum I just wished to highlight the kind of undeserved dilemma that you may hand to your partner.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-August-21, 03:15

View Postgszes, on 2018-August-20, 17:34, said:

there just isn't much here. It seems almost impossible that we might make anything so any decision we make now is essentially a sac. Hopefully P will be able to read us for short hearts and properly identify our weakness before deciding what to do over 4h.

By no means impossible it's our hand (give partner Ax, xxxx, AKQxxxx, void where they have to lead a trump to stop the overtrick) but too much risk to bid now.

#15 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2018-August-21, 04:13

View PostTramticket, on 2018-August-20, 03:43, said:

It makes more difference to know what opps play. Does 1 promise a four or five-card suit?

Partner's overcall style could also make a difference.

My partners would never overcall 2 without 6+ D or 4+ C in this position, so I expect at least 19 total trumps* on average. If there are as many as 20, then LoTT suggests bidding. If there are only 19, then hopefully the void is worth an extra total trick. (Voids tend to make total tricks > total trumps.)

* Our trump suit will be either spades, clubs or diamonds, depending on partner's hand. As eagles123 said, 4 implies diamond support, so partner will correct to 5 or 5 without spade support.

EDIT, 22 August: 'at least 19 total trumps on average' may be too optimistic if 1 or 4 is frequently bid with only 4 H.

#16 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-21, 04:32

View Posteagles123, on 2018-August-20, 03:25, said:

i choose 4S this surely has to show diamonds as well

I bid 4 for the same reason. If red against green its difficult. Maybe pass is the wiser option then.

Maarten Baltussen

#17 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-August-21, 07:04

An easy PASS for me.Partners overcall may be based on xx-xx-AKQxxx-Kxx

#18 User is offline   kontoleon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-21, 10:46

I may dable here if double is take out. If double was penalty 4s is partener agreement and in fact if partener had enough strong enough befence he may no it penalty

#19 User is offline   marklaf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-August-21, 21:52

Of course your RHO opponent should have used the stop card--to give you time to think. In general I leave such auctions alone--Yes 4 spades could work--but it may not.
]

#20 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-22, 12:12

I would pass, but if I were going to make a call, a responsive X is the only real choice. That keeps 4S, 5C, 5D, and even 4HX (if partner has unexpected H strength) all in play. I just think I'm a King short for that (I might try it with Qxx of diamonds rather than xxx).

Cheers,
Mike

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users