BBO Discussion Forums: Tear your hair out cue bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tear your hair out cue bid

#1 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2018-August-07, 08:38

This is one of GIB’s favorites, designed to make life as difficult as possible for partner. As is often the case in these situations, you are forced to the 4-level. This is just one example of hundreds of GIB problems, that we either put up with or stop playing.

Yet BBO hangs onto this old relic that obviously cannot be fixed, even though there are better robots out there. I’m still finding more pros than cons for playing in the tournaments (ACBL individual only), but it sure isn’t GIB that keeps me coming back. “He” takes some of the enjoyment out of the game, and I’m sure that I’m not the only player who feels that way.

If GIB could be fixed I’d be all for keeping it, but obviously it can’t. I don’t doubt that there have been “upgrades”, but if so they haven’t done much good. Sometimes I wonder if the fixes don’t create new problems. I don’t notice any improvement since I started playing here a year ago, and I have a large sample to base my findings on (more than 2000 robot individual tournaments).

I’m more interested in seeing improvements rather than the reasons why all the bugs and other glitches continue to exist.

Most companies that take their customers for granted eventually fall on hard times

http://tinyurl.com/yalyc5ga

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-August-07, 09:09

I'm sure there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for forcing to game. If you give me a couple of years, I'll let you know what I figured out.

#3 User is offline   etha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-07, 09:45

View Postjohnu, on 2018-August-07, 09:09, said:

I'm sure there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for forcing to game. If you give me a couple of years, I'll let you know what I figured out.

how do you want him to invite game ?

#4 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2018-August-07, 15:55

View Postetha, on 2018-August-07, 09:45, said:

Start by ruling out a game forcing bid when you don't have game-forcing values. How about a cooperative double?

Fwiw, this was a general rant about GIB and this hand was just most recent aggravation. It is almost as if he was programmed to be as difficult a partner has possible. He usually won't lead your suit, even when you double it after has been cue bid. If you try to compete he bids one more, or even jumps to slam. On defense he likes "second hand high" and takes joy in swallowing up your stiff king with his ace. Responding to takeout doubles is also problematic. When you double a major for takeout he will often respond in a longer minor when holding 4 or 5 of other major. The list goes on and on. These are all repeaters rather than one-time occurrences.

#5 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-08, 09:32

View Postjohnu, on 2018-August-07, 09:09, said:

haha johnu. don't you see the 3 Jacks pulling their full weight.

#6 User is offline   wbartley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-08, 17:09

View Postetha, on 2018-August-07, 09:45, said:

A free 3 bid seems about right.

Let's say you evaluate this hand is worth game opposite a minimum opening bid. Forget that that is an insane evaluation. 4 has to be the less encouraging bid than 3, right?

#7 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-08, 22:50

View Postwbartley, on 2018-August-08, 17:09, said:

A free 3 bid seems about right.

Let's say you evaluate this hand is worth game opposite a minimum opening bid. Forget that that is an insane evaluation. 4 has to be the less encouraging bid than 3, right?

I'll go for 3 hearts; better than double actually

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users