Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Split honours?

#1 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-23, 01:17

Swiss Teams. Opps are playing five-card majors 2-over-1, strong NT.

Partner leads the K. Declarer wins in dummy, cashes the A and leads the 3.

Do you split your honours? And why?

[Edited - see Lovera response].

#2 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2018-July-23, 02:06

View PostTramticket, on 2018-July-23, 01:17, said:

Swiss Teams. Opps are playing five-card majors 2-over-1, strong NT.

Partner leads the K. Declarer wins in dummy, cashes the A and leads the 3.

Do you split your honours? And why?

Having S four Aces N has Kings. Probably the answer is in 5(=2keys w/o Q) at RKB but 1 key there is K the other is by mine variant :2 keys w/o or 1key + void.

#3 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-23, 02:21

I have to split my honours. The Club Looser will always disappear on or . Therefore if I duck and N correctly guesses to play low, I will have to use my Trump-winner to ruff a or .
If I split honours and keep a small trump, I will be able to ruff low and cash my master-trump. NS have no time to avoid that, because they have to get rid of their -looser first.

#4 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-23, 02:44

View PostLovera, on 2018-July-23, 02:06, said:

Having S four Aces N has Kings. Probably the answer is in 5(=2keys w/o Q) at RKB but 1 key there is K the other is by mine variant :2 keys w/o or 1key + void.

Good spot. The response was actually 5 (one key card). I have edited the opening post.

#5 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-23, 02:55

I assumed 6keycard-responses in this sequence, which might not be stupid at all. The K will almost be as important as the K in this sequence.

#6 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-23, 03:20

Assuming declarer has 2+ clubs, the percentage declarer play is to play for trumps 3-2 by playing 2 high trumps and run the red suits for club pitches. (what spade did partner play?) Taking a double spade finesse loses whenever East has a trump honor. Declarer should have a double heart since there was no heart raise but I guess it depends on the player involved.

#7 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-23, 03:38

View PostJanisW, on 2018-July-23, 02:21, said:

I have to split my honours. The Club Looser will always disappear on or . Therefore if I duck and N correctly guesses to play low, I will have to use my Trump-winner to ruff a or .
If I split honours and keep a small trump, I will be able to ruff low and cash my master-trump. NS have no time to avoid that, because they have to get rid of their -looser first.

BTW the term is "loser" not "looser".
I think splitting is insane. Declarer if has club loser has something like K98xx Kx KQx Jxx. He is planning to play high trumps and run hearts and hope the long spade has 3+ hearts. He is never going to deep hook the 9. If you split, then you ruff the 4th heart but then declarer just overruffs, returns to DA and puts the fifth heart through, or if you ruff high goes ahead and takes 2nd discard.

If no club loser then your only real hope is declarer forgets the safety play anyway.

#8 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-23, 05:38

View PostStephen Tu, on 2018-July-23, 03:38, said:

I think splitting is insane. Declarer if has club loser has something like K98xx Kx KQx Jxx. He is planning to play high trumps and run hearts and hope the long spade has 3+ hearts. He is never going to deep hook the 9. If you split, then you ruff the 4th heart but then declarer just overruffs, returns to DA and puts the fifth heart through, or if you ruff high goes ahead and takes 2nd discard.

If no club loser then your only real hope is declarer forgets the safety play anyway.

You are right of course, I forgot about the 5th .
I do know about the need to split honours in order to ruff low, and just assumed this was an examplary case, but the 5th means this effort is in vain.

If South were 3442, you would actually need to split honours (checked with DeepFinesse). Did not pay enough attention. My bad.

#9 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-23, 06:11

Split honours? Why? If partner has produced a on the first round of trumps, declarer is hardly going to take a deep finesse. That is just not the percentage play.

#10 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2018-July-23, 07:33

View PostTramticket, on 2018-July-23, 02:44, said:

Good spot. The response was actually 5 (one key card). I have edited the opening post.

Ah, i see. Infact(=Swiss Team) i was thinking if was the case to buy a smoking. :rolleyes:

#11 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-July-24, 02:05

One can see 5 Heart winners in dummy and so one must not split the honors .If one does split then it is only handing the contract on a platter( If declarer plays normally).

#12 User is offline   thawp66 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-July-24, 02:23

View PostJanisW, on 2018-July-23, 02:55, said:

I assumed 6keycard-responses in this sequence, which might not be stupid at all. The K will almost be as important as the K in this sequence.

The key card response is almost irrelevant because of points. Dummy has 20, you have 3 and partner presumably has 5 !CKQ. That leaves 12 for declarer who opened. It’s possible declarer might be missing the CJ but more than that would limit him to 10 maximum.

#13 User is offline   thawp66 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-July-24, 02:38

View PostStephen Tu, on 2018-July-23, 03:38, said:

I agree with your analysis, though I would like to know what partner played on the first trump; did he follow suit?
In addition, if declarer has 5=2=4=2, the only way to make it is for you to split.

However, proper English would be “Declarer, if he has a club loser...” or “If declarer has a club loser...”. If you’re going to correct someone else’s grammar, then you should probably not make any errors of your own! 😀

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users