BBO Discussion Forums: What do you bid ? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you bid ?

#21 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2018-July-22, 15:03

View Postrmnka447, on 2018-July-20, 14:27, said:

I agree that

(P) - P - 1 - 3
3 - ?

seems obvious, although an aggressive responder might choose to show limit+ by bidding 4 .

The base principle is to describe your hand at best avoiding to hide anything(=shape, HCP or other) to allow max partner cooperation (to escape bidding problems). Why do you choised 3 instead 4 that seems to me more indicative ? If bidding go high E with its opener in this case is better placed to move to a probable slam (having a second suit yet to discover). Are you agree ?

#22 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-22, 17:05

View PostLovera, on 2018-July-22, 15:03, said:

The base principle is to describe your hand at best avoiding to hide anything(=shape, HCP or other) to allow max partner cooperation (to escape bidding problems). Why do you choised 3 instead 4 that seems to me more indicative ? If bidding go high E with its opener in this case is better placed to move to a probable slam (having a second suit yet to discover). Are you agree ?

because 4H would essentially force to game with a flat 10 count.

#23 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-22, 18:29

View Postwank, on 2018-July-22, 17:05, said:

because 4H would essentially force to game with a flat 10 count.

That is what has to be wanted : infact this hand is flat it being the other three hands unbalanced (en passant) and its values is 12 points then apt for 4 bid (wheras 3 is more weak) having fourthemore also an Ace (almost).

#24 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-25, 16:32

The cue in heart suit will have the probable 5 bid by N allowing at E to show its powerfull (and unbalanced) hand with a "forcing pass" so that partner can better to define the "range of action" and with AK bidding slam for W-E line: p-(p)-1-(3), 4-(5)-p(=FP)-(p), 6.

#25 User is offline   mr1303_2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-July-25, 19:50

To anyone suggesting a 4H bid by West, I can only presume your partners never open light in 3rd seat...

I bid 3S and consider that plenty.

#26 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-26, 07:47

About cue-bid sequence above indicated and there uninterferred two questions: 1) what do you bid if in diamond suit you have KQ (that works for slam whilest Kx not) ? 2) what if S overcall 5 after 5 by E ?

#27 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-28, 08:25

The slam for E-W is so cold that many people will realize it +1 trick and if 7 sac will be bidded is much more probable by N (that can not think K stiff in S hand) to prevent/push to grand that can be realized if 1-4-5-3 and weakness in N is read (otherwise finessing K is one down) and, than, it being that as card lie the two hands have 9 tricks only for 1 off (3 down vs little slam at this vulnerability) as previously considered at IMPs can be it a positive score yet.

#28 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-July-28, 14:54

I think the bidding described thus far is based more on seeing all the hands rather than what might happen at the table. With the death holding of xxx in spades and possible defense many Souths will not preempt - I would estimate a 2H call would occur more frequently than 3 or 4 hearts. West will do well to bid a limit raise or better 3H, which will prompt North to bid 4H.

From there on, it depends on agreements. Pass surely is forcing - but even then, what is West to do with his flat limit raise? And East, over 4H, facing a likely limit raise, is unlikely to be thinking slam. He might make a mild try with a forcing pass.

Perhaps I am too old fashioned and not up on current aggressive styles, but I would think this auction to be quite likely.

1S-2H-3H-4H
P-P-X-P
4S-P-P-P
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#29 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-28, 17:09

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-July-28, 14:54, said:

I think the bidding described thus far is based more on seeing all the hands rather than what might happen at the table. With the death holding of xxx in spades and possible defense many Souths will not preempt - I would estimate a 2H call would occur more frequently than 3 or 4 hearts. West will do well to bid a limit raise or better 3H, which will prompt North to bid 4H.

From there on, it depends on agreements. Pass surely is forcing - but even then, what is West to do with his flat limit raise? And East, over 4H, facing a likely limit raise, is unlikely to be thinking slam. He might make a mild try with a forcing pass.

Perhaps I am too old fashioned and not up on current aggressive styles, but I would think this auction to be quite likely.

1S-2H-3H-4H
P-P-X-P
4S-P-P-P

I don't think so because i have leaved the bids choising of everyone. I think that those one can also to be considered as a mix between system used and style bidding at table (conservative or aggressive). Infact in any case the bid resulting ends in game (instead to realize the slam). About 2 bid instead of 3 having a 7th with AK seems to me it more descriptive and informative for partner helping the subsequent high bid for sac by N. It is usefull to enter in the right (but is not always easy to do) contested action because is productive for a positive score.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users