BBO Discussion Forums: Good hand but they double our 1NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good hand but they double our 1NT

#1 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-05, 15:54

MP, r/w

x
x
KQxxx
QJTxxx

For better or worse, you pass as dealer. It goes

pass-(1)-1NT-x
?

What now? You play that xx is a one-suited take-out while other bids are two-suited takeouts. 2 would be "Stayman", not sure if it promises spades or is just a generic force. This hasn't been discussed.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-05, 16:50

I can't exactly believe the opponents' bidding. What is the opener's partner doubling on? We have the majority of the points. There's a temptation to pass and see if we can scramble 7 or more tricks, but realistically the hand should be played in anywhere between 3 and 5 of a minor depending on what partner exactly holds. Although I acknowledge 5 of a minor may be a trick too far. If 2NT now shows the minors, I'd bid that and pass partner's response. Maybe...

Opener might have opened light with shape, and partner may have upgraded his 14 count hand with honours over opener, and opener's partner doubled with holdings in the other three suits. The hand could be quite distributional except for your partner, so I'll content myself with 3 of a minor for a plus score, though there is a case for making one last try after partner bids 3/3 over 2NT by splintering one of the major suit singletons. Partner needs very little for 5 of a minor to be a realistic contract.

Yes, it is difficult

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-05, 16:57

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-July-05, 15:54, said:

MP, r/w

x
x
KQxxx
QJTxxx

while other bids are two-suited takeouts.

2nt for minors?

2nt for the minors followed by 4 over a 3 preference from pard should send them into the tank but with a chance to go right. Too much to ask as a passed hand though.

If I thought I could get away with it, redouble and run to my "1-suiter" should eventually get me doubled in something that makes. I'm a passed hand that sounds weak. ie. if I redouble, pard bids 2 - pass to me I'm passing and lho is forced to do something.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-July-06, 05:42

View PostFelicityR, on 2018-July-05, 16:50, said:

I can't exactly believe the opponents' bidding. What is the opener's partner doubling on?
There is a good chance this is being doubled on a heart fit.
Doubler may not have enough points to legitimately set 1N.
However has good enough hearts expects to knock out partner's stopper(s) and run some heart tricks,

Clearly you have enough points to make 1N often. The only question is can you take 7 tricks before partner's major suit stoppers are gone? If you pass 1NX there is a good chance you play it there.

If you had this hand opposite a 1NT opening I don't think you would be allowed to play 1NX. Opponents will have too many major suit cards and not enough points to leave in.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-06, 06:20

View Poststeve2005, on 2018-July-06, 05:42, said:

There is a good chance this is being doubled on a heart fit.
Doubler may not have enough points to legitimately set 1N.

I thought of this when I wrote my initial post. But who's holding all the s then? If partner has a five card suit opposite a passed partner I'd rather him/her overcall 1 than 1NT even with 15-17 - others commentators may not agree with this.

#6 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-06, 06:45

Some one hasn't got their bid. Is partner a reliable sort?

I would have opened 2NT (both minors), but now it is more tricky, since the villains almost certainly hold an eight-card or longer spade fit and it is the sort of wild distribution where it is often possible to make lots of tricks with few points. I will start with the two-suited take-out, not expecting it to end the auction. I will compete to the four-level, but not the five-level at these colours - but maybe partner can bid on if a fit is unearthed.

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-06, 07:00

PASS
at IMPS I would be less inclined to gamble (I would make whatever bid needed to show both minors) since game is hardly out of consideration. At MP playing 1nx looks like it just might be the top spot w/o the risk associated with getting hammered that is associated with IMPS (its only 1 board).

#8 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-July-06, 10:29

View PostFelicityR, on 2018-July-06, 06:20, said:

I thought of this when I wrote my initial post. But who's holding all the s then? If partner has a five card suit opposite a passed partner I'd rather him/her overcall 1 than 1NT even with 15-17 - others commentators may not agree with this.
Everyone could have 4 spades.
You partner can certainly have 4 spades
Doubler can have spades and hearts support

There is no reason to assume partner has 5 spades.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#9 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2018-July-06, 12:53

id bid 4n and say sorry when we make slam x`er prob mucking about with long hearts ;)
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#10 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-06, 15:24

View Posteagles123, on 2018-July-06, 12:53, said:

id bid 4n and say sorry when we make slam x`er prob mucking about with long hearts ;)

Are you sure what 4NT means? 🤐

Yes doubler is mucking around with long hearts ... or partner is mucking around with long spades? ... or ...

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-July-07, 01:20

Are you sure you've picked up the cards from the right board? There seems to be about 50 HCP in this deck.

I really don't like that stiff in this hand. Rather than worry about whether break 4-4-4-1, I'd be more worried about someone having a running suit, likely the doubler, and making a match point judgment that 1 NTx going down would be better than a partial. After all, you are red.

In that case, you might just shoehorn the points into the various hands to make this auction make sense.

So I'm doing the pedestrian thing and settling for the bid that shows the minors whatever the agreement is.

#12 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-07, 15:59

2NT would be a game forcing 2-suiter here (not so unreasonable with this hand), but in practice you'd be safe starting with a gentle 2. This won't get passed out (many oppo play pass as forcng here; even if they don't one of them will probably be competing in hearts (or maybe spades); then you can introduce the diamond suit on the next round.

#13 User is offline   Trick13 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-09, 00:59

Two plans:
(1) Bid 4 and convert 4 to 5 (this assumes opener showed 5+), or
(2) Just bid 5

why mess around?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic