BBO Discussion Forums: is it possible to make a living from this game? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

is it possible to make a living from this game?

#21 User is offline   Joe_Old 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-10, 09:56

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-July-10, 07:49, said:

I don't know how much money Hamman made out of his company, a lot more if he ever got the cash it paid out to Lance Armstrong back.

If you can only come up with one dubious exception, doesn't that prove my point?

There are a hell of a lot more rich people than talented bridge players. Your odds of becoming rich from traditional, non-entertainment careers are vastly better than the odds of making a living from playing bridge (or football, baseball, basketball, music, acting, etc.). Pursue your dreams if you have to, but know the challenges

#22 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-10, 11:59

View Postgordontd, on 2018-July-10, 04:04, said:

Carl (I assume it is he you mean) has been back to England occasionally but is very happy in Peru, where I believe he is coach or NPC for their Junior team and has been seen at junior world events in that capacity. I also see him listed among the top scorers in Funbridge games.

He was also an example of someone who made a living from bridge for many years, once he stopped being a school teacher, by combining teaching bridge with directing and for a time running a club of his own.

I think it would be unfair to imply he lived solely from bridge income, since he was very much in demand as a private tutor. I suspect it is the same now.

I've heard from Carl a couple of times since he went to Peru, about the time I moved to Scotland. Both times it was about matches on BBO for juniors :) He does also play for the Peru Open team.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#23 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-13, 15:29

The best way to make money as a bridge player is to win the Powerball Lottery. :lol:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users