BBO Discussion Forums: Just another disaster opening lead - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just another disaster opening lead

#21 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-05, 22:35

Either a trump or a club could be right.

Dummy probably has a black singleton (unless it is 2452 it will have a stiff), so a trump lead will cut down ruffs. And dummy's singleton is most likely to be in clubs, as you are longer in C than in S.

On the other hand, if declarer has 2-3 diamonds, then a black suit lead might be needed to build a trick before declarer gets pitches. A spade is more likely to work here, because dummy is apt to have a stiff club, but a spade lead is also riskier than a club lead.

With KQxx of diamonds, I think I would hope that my holding is good enough to prevent declarer from making good use of dummy's diamond length and lead a trump.

How does a trump work out?

Cheers,
mike

#22 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-06, 02:27

*shrug* - club.

#23 User is offline   thearb 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-July-06, 04:11

View Postmiamijd, on 2018-July-05, 22:35, said:

Either a trump or a club could be right.

Dummy probably has a black singleton (unless it is 2452 it will have a stiff), so a trump lead will cut down ruffs. And dummy's singleton is most likely to be in clubs, as you are longer in C than in S.

On the other hand, if declarer has 2-3 diamonds, then a black suit lead might be needed to build a trick before declarer gets pitches. A spade is more likely to work here, because dummy is apt to have a stiff club, but a spade lead is also riskier than a club lead.

With KQxx of diamonds, I think I would hope that my holding is good enough to prevent declarer from making good use of dummy's diamond length and lead a trump.

How does a trump work out?

Cheers,
mike

I'm with JD, a trump or a club. A trump would be more attractive if it was xx, with Tx there's a danger it could allow declarer to scoop up the suit, they might be in a 4-4 fit.

#24 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2018-July-06, 10:22

I dont see how a trump can be help you are never stopping them ruffing and will cost if partner has Q.
KD may be right but opps will lead I see no rush
Club or Spade could be right. Partner cant have much so either could cost or be important to lead now,
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#25 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-06, 11:26

This is the sort of deal I imagine
TBH if opps have their bids I do not see this going down.
The K lead does give South an option at trick 1, he may well decide to take his ace and draw trumps. Partner can now return a and get a ruff.
On any other lead this is a routine 11 tricks. This also works if you swap the red aces

#26 User is offline   Dumoti 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-July-12, 15:57

Here is my line of reasoning.

We are playing MPs and opponents have stretched to game. So, if things lie badly for them, they may well go down. So we must ask: Do things lie badly for them?

The answer, apparently, is no. Dummy rates to have about 15-17 with a bit of shape whereas the declarer will have about 10.

I would not be surprised to see dummy come down with 2-4-5-2 and find declarer with 3-5-2-3.

The ace of hearts rates to be in the closed hand and the ace of diamonds on the board. So if a heart finesse is needed it will be working. If they have a 9-card fit missing the queen, then it will fall. Similarly, both diamond honors are onside. So it appears that you will need to try to hold down overtricks rather than try to beat the contract.

I will try a small club. If partner holds just the J then it will not cost whereas if he has K or A then you may be able to set up some tricks in that suit before your diamond entry is knocked out.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users