BBO Discussion Forums: bidding problem over Michaels cue bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bidding problem over Michaels cue bid

#1 User is offline   Elliotts 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-July-12, 16:58

Partner opens 1, next bidder bids 2Michaels, I hold 4, 4, 5 with 10 hcps - 2 red Kings and Ace. I'm void of s.

What is the recommended bid from me?

Thanks, Elliott

#2 User is offline   Dumoti 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-July-12, 17:04

So your hand was:

-
Kxxx
Kxxx
Axxxx

?

#3 User is offline   Elliotts 

• Pip

Posted 2018-July-12, 17:34

Dumoti, on 2018-July-12, 17:04, said:

So your hand was:

-
Kxxx
Kxxx
Axxxx

?

Yes, exactly. I had the A98xx of Clubs.

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-12, 19:42

I would bid 2S (good diamond raise), if I had that agreement and playing a system where 1D promises 4. Otherwise I guess I have to bid 3C.

ahydra

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2018-July-12, 20:08

You need to have some agreement with your partner about how to respond over 2 suited takeout like the unusual NT and Michaels.

One of the more popular methods that is widely played among better players is called "Unusual versus Unusual".

Since the intervener has identified some suits by the two suited bid, Unusual versus Unusual uses cues of the opponent's suits to define responder's hand strength and some feature of his/her hand. So after a 1 m - (2m) Michaels bid, 2 would show and invitational values, 2 would show and at least invitational values. Depending on which minor was opened, the cue that shows that suit and values translates into at least a limit raise. The cue that shows the other suit and values also implies tolerance for the minor opened.

Then, direct bids of a minor over the two suited bid are competitive and non-forcing (1 m - (2m) - 3m/3om)

Double shows the ability to penalize one of their suits.

With the hand asked about, I'd probably cue 2 showing and values playing this way.

#6 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-13, 02:42

Whilst I agree with the other commentators that a conventional bid of 2 showing good support is the preferred action, partner needs so little for a contract of 5 to be viable if partner has a genuine suit. The K looks well-placed, and you have first round controls in the other suits.

I assume that the OP listed this hand as the opponents next bid was 4, which partner passed and then responder had to make a decision whether to bid 5 or not, not knowing about partner's hand or the length of his/her suit.

#7 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-13, 03:10

What is the system and how many diamonds are promised?

I am more excited by this hand playing say Acol, where 1 promises at least a four-card diamond suit and will not be a balanced minimum, than I would be playing Standard American, where 1 might be a three card suit in a balanced 12-count.

Playing Acol, you might be tempted to bid 3, if this shows a splinter for your partnership. But playing Standard American I am more inclined towards the 2 bid suggested by others.

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-13, 07:45

rmnka447, on 2018-July-12, 20:08, said:

One of the more popular methods that is widely played among better players is called "Unusual versus Unusual".

With the hand asked about, I'd probably cue 2 showing and values playing this way.

I agree and any concerns of partner owning only 3 diamonds is a false flag that only happens if we have a 4-4 heart fit. Really?

A knee jerk reaction would be to double since you can penalize hearts but lho is going to bid spades and perhaps a lot of them. It's important to get your offensive nature off your chest and on a good day you will be able to show clubs next.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-15, 19:35

Tramticket, on 2018-July-13, 03:10, said:

What is the system and how many diamonds are promised?

I am more excited by this hand playing say Acol, where 1 promises at least a four-card diamond suit and will not be a balanced minimum, than I would be playing Standard American, where 1 might be a three card suit in a balanced 12-count.

Playing Acol, you might be tempted to bid 3, if this shows a splinter for your partnership. But playing Standard American I am more inclined towards the 2 bid suggested by others.

It would be nice to know that partner has 4 diamonds, but playing standard, the only hand you are worried about is 4432 from partner. If you are truly concerned about this, you can start with a double. If you are playing unusual vs. unusual, this will show a hand that has interest in penalizing one (or both) of their suits. When they bid spades (likely), you can now bid 3d to show this hand. The problem comes if it goes 1d-1d-x-2s-p-3s. Then you have a decision to make. Personally, I'd go for the assumption that partner has 4d, which will occur about 95% of the time partner opens 1d and increases when RHO make a Michaels bid, and bid 2s (limit raise or better in diamonds).

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-15, 19:43

3, splinter for diamonds, can't be misunderstood. So if you don't have any agreements about what 2/2 would mean, you have to bid 3.

Don't worry about p having only three diamonds. It is unlikely, and if he has, he will bid 3NT over your 3 bid.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users